Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Birthdays

Options
  • 04-06-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I tend to camp out here during December then vanish for another year. However this coming December is going to be the most special one yet for our family.

I had a little boy on 13th December last year, so Christmastime was spent largely recovering. I barely remember it between the memories of baby newness :D

This year we will of course have our boys first birthday on the 13th and then the first christmas that he can partake in. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have a close-to-Christmas birthday in their family and how that birthday is still made special rather than rolled into the celebrations.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Congratulations!

My birthday is Christmas Eve and I love having a December birthday! When I was a kid, my parents and extended family would always treat my birthday as separate to Christmas which made it feel special - I know that sounds a bit simplistic! I never got combined birthday and Christmas presents, I'd have a cake on my birthday too.

I remember my mam bringing me into work a few times on Christmas Eve and I always used to think that was a treat for my birthday... With hindsight that was probably more a Christmas tradition for staff to bring their kids in! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah Christmas Eve! That's lovely, It's nice that you like having it then because most people I know tell me that they felt they missed out havin the two celebrations so close together. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Whispered wrote: »

I had a little boy on 13th December last year, so Christmastime was spent largely recovering. I barely remember it between the memories of baby newness :D

This year we will of course have our boys first birthday on the 13th and then the first christmas that he can partake in.

Thanks

Congrats on the birth of your little boy! Interesting question. My son was born on the 3 December so ill be watching the answers carefully! :)

My own best friend has her birthday on Christmas eve and growing up she hated it and in turn now dislikes the whole season. Her point of view was that she never had birthday parties as a child as her parents didn think it was fair to ask other children to come and money be spent on gifts etc so close to Christmas. She also said the two celebrations always got combined and never felt her birthday was even hers. For her the best solution was to have her birthday celebrations with friends the first week of January.

I suppose why I mention it is because I listened to her obsess over it every year and have seen how upset it made her and even though my own boys birthday is early December it does have me thinking about it!

Many probably won't agree but I have decided to celebrate his birthday the last weekend of November just before the tree and decorations go up so he can feel he has a special time for himself. My family obviously will all call down on his actual birthday and have cake etc but as we have had his birthday party previous, it feels like more of a family gathering and has a nice relaxed feel to it !

Thanks Glitzgirl. Congrats to you too! Fun times we're both having :D

We are thinking of not putting the tree until after his birthday, but that would be the 14th or 15th and as he gets older I don't want him to feel like we are waiting to get his birthday "out of the way" so we can put up the tree.

You've definately helped me make my mind up about one thing. We are not having a christening, so I was between minds of having a welcoming party in the next two month or throwing a family birthday party for him on the 12th. The birthday would be my preference but thought it would be a bit close to Christmas for people. We will go for the birthday party because if we start not celebrating it now, for fear of putting people out, we will always do the same. Thanks :)

No problem Whispered ! I understand entirely what you mean that whole "waiting to get it out of the way " feeling which is what I want to avoid completely ! As my little boy gets older I want him to feel like he has his own special day that isn't being rolled into another celebration as the rest of the family have birthdays late January - mid summer !

Ironically enough I was only thinking about this the other day when I was writing up my christmas planner and penciled his birthday celebration in for the last weekend in November ! Great minds ... :)

• Advertisement

We are thinking of not putting the tree until after his birthday, but that would be the 14th or 15th

In all honesty I thought about this option too and I just couldn't do it ! We love the build up to Christmas here and I think I may have a little cry if I wasn't putting the tree up til mid December ! Total respect for you if you have the restraint for this ! :D

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    In all honesty I thought about this option too and I just couldn't do it ! We love the build up to Christmas here and I think I may have a little cry if I wasn't putting the tree up til mid December ! Total respect for you if you have the restraint for this ! :D

:o I won't have the restraint.

We wouldn't mind waiting until the 14th but we make a big deal out of christmas tree day every year, so I'd imagine it would be better to put it up at the start of December, have it done and then be free to celebrate his birthday mid Dec, Christmas at the end.

That way, like you said, he'd have his own special day.

haha it's so nice to talk this out with people who understand and don't roll their eyes and go "it's 6 months away! :rolleyes:" :D:D

:o I won't have the restraint.

We wouldn't mind waiting until the 14th but we make a big deal out of christmas tree day every year, so I'd imagine it would be better to put it up at the start of December, have it done and then be free to celebrate his birthday mid Dec, Christmas at the end.

That way, like you said, he'd have his own special day.

haha it's so nice to talk this out with people who understand and don't roll their eyes and go "it's 6 months away! :rolleyes:" :D:D

Ah the dreaded eye roll ! I was actually only saying to someone in retail (was trying to order a gift ) and said how I was behind this year as we moved house and I got the typical eye roll ! I think your v brave the 14th ! Personally I couldn't we have a lovely tradition of putting up the tree the day of the toy show ! Which luckily seems to get earlier every year ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Congratulations Whispered on the birth of your boy last year. :) I hope he has a magical Christmas this year. I was born on December 14th (my Mother said I was due on Christmas Eve) so my parents always want to have the Christmas tree up on or before the 14th. It's a tradition in our house. I'm delighted to have been born 10 days before Christmas Eve and it's such a magical time of the year. Once Halloween comes around (which is another great time of the year I have to say) it's only 6 weeks or so until the countdown is well and truly on. This year's build-up will be my last in Ireland as I'm moving to Spain to teach in September 2016 but the buildup will always be the same in our family. I love Christmas so much! :)

Aw Denamn thanks, it's great to hear from someone so close to Christmas who loves it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Sorry for dragging up an old thread - just wanted to say that both myself and my son are Xmas babies. I never had an issue with it myself and I hope he won't either!
    Like the OP, his first Xmas for me was also a bit of a blur as he was born 11 Dec.

Christmas 2014 all of us were struck down with the flu, so we couldn't really get into the spirit of things - couldn't even make it out to get a tree!

I am hoping that Christmas 2015 will be great!

Christmas 2014 all of us were struck down with the flu, so we couldn't really get into the spirit of things - couldn't even make it out to get a tree!

I am hoping that Christmas 2015 will be great!

Awh sounds like you had a bad run of it! Hopefully you'll get to have a flu free enjoyable christmas this year !

Here's to a great Christmas 2015 for you!!

Advertisement