Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

• 02-06-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So it looks like Dark Souls 3 may be announced at E3 with Miyazaki at the helm. Coming from multiple sources.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/2/8707135/report-dark-souls-3-will-be-announced-at-e3
    Bandai Namco will announce Dark Souls 3 at E3, according to a VG247 report citing a source familiar with the matter.

The game will be headed up by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of the original Dark Souls, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, according to the report. Miyazaki was the supervisor of Dark Souls 2, which was directed by Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura.

An updated version of Dark Souls 2, the Scholar of the First Sin edition, hit April 2. Most recently, Miyazaki was the director of Bloodborne, an exclusive for the PlayStation 4 which, while similar to the previous hard-as-nails games, is not connected to Dark Souls or Demon's Souls.

All of the games have been met with overwhelmingly positive reaction by both the press and gamers.

We've reached out to Bandai Namco about the rumor and will update this story when they respond.

This would be fantastic news especially if the reports about Miyazaki taking the lead role turn out to be true. I AM EXCITE!!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I squealed when I saw the thread title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Popular game gets sequel? Never! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fingers crossed!

Fairly sure its not going to happen this year though, wasn't Bloodborne DLC basically confirmed? Being a small company I doubt From are going to be handling DLC for Bloodborne and a new game, not yet anyways.

After the backlash DKS2 got I can't imagine they're going to set the B team on DKS3 or the Bloodborne DLC.

Of course there's as equal chance I'm completely full of crap, here's hoping it'll be announced though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DS3 is going to be multi platform though. Bloodborne is the Sony exclusive. So for Xbox fans this is more of a big deal while to Sony owners it looks like overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I will believe Dark Souls 3 is in development when the guy who creates the DSFix announces he is working on the next iteration. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Miyazaki Souls is exactly what the community wants and possibly needs. From might be picking up on the malaise following DS2 and now BB (if A German Spy and Plague of Gripes are anything to go by) and just using a very early announcement to keep the fans' chins up.

From have never been one to listen to fans though so maybe it is further along in development than I'm imagining (I'm thinking Xmas 2016 though).

• Lets hope it's not a sony exclusive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

My body is ready.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

penev10 wrote: »
    Miyazaki Souls is exactly what the community wants and possibly needs. From might be picking up on the malaise following DS2 and now BB (if A German Spy and Plague of Gripes are anything to go by) and just using a very early announcement to keep the fans' chins up.

From have never been one to listen to fans though so maybe it is further along in development than I'm imagining (I'm thinking Xmas 2016 though).

While Dark Souls 2 wasn't as good as the first it was still one of the best games of the year it came out in. and lets not forget that it did make some significant gameplay improvements over Dark Souls 1 even if the level and enemy design wasn't up to the originals.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While Dark Souls 2 wasn't as good as the first it was still one of the best games of the year it came out in. and lets not forget that it did make some significant gameplay improvements over Dark Souls 1 even if the level and enemy design wasn't up to the originals.

It was a great game but the Souls community is still hugely disappointed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

After Dank Souls 2... I can't say I'm excited. Give me Demon's Souls 2 or just a PC port of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Don't like The Dark Souls games, that said I think I'm in the minority, so fingers crossed for the rest of ye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was a great game but the Souls community is still hugely disappointed by it.

I like to temper my disappointment instead of jumping into hyperbole like some of the souls community. I did find DS2 disappointing but also recognise it was an excellent game. It was the B teams first attempt and they did a pretty good job. Hopefully they've learned a thing or two and took on some fan feedback about DS2. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

chickenboy wrote: »
    My body is ready.....

But is your brain?... for the hours of crying as you die over and over again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I like to temper my disappointment instead of jumping into hyperbole like some of the souls community. I did find DS2 disappointing but also recognise it was an excellent game. It was the B teams first attempt and they did a pretty good job. Hopefully they've learned a thing or two and took on some fan feedback about DS2. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Just all of this. Plus Miyazaki is in charge of this one so the B team will be working with the master. Also, the Crown DLC's were fairly awesome.

I still can't believe that this, Fallout 4 timer and Steam giving refunds were all announced (even if this is just a rumour) within 24 hours of each other. It's almost like a conspiracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Life 3 Half confirmed? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

**** 'the Souls community'. They shouldn't dictate the game that is made. Miyazaki should, and his team. We need to start respecting the creative intentions of game artists more. They'll do some things individuals and groups will like, others they won't, but it's vitally important they stay true to what they believe is right for their game (not to mention the impossibility of pleasing everybody)

Bloodborne was such a staggering success because Miyazaki was playing by his own rules, free to shake up a formula every one had grown accustomed to and comfortable with (and build an astonishing world around it). It was a loose sequel free from the shackle of expectations, borrowing some elements and confidently ditching others (ditto Demons Souls -> Dark Souls). If he's back for Dark Souls 3 as rumoured, hopefully he'll continue to change the rules and subvert expectations, above all do his own thing - if anything, that's exactly what got this anonymous 'community' hooked in the first place, not some impossible, misguided lust for 'more of the same'.

**** 'the Souls community'. They shouldn't dictate the game that is made. Miyazaki should, and his team. We need to start respecting the creative intentions of game artists more. They'll do some things individuals and groups will like, others they won't, but it's vitally important they stay true to what they believe is right for their game (not to mention the impossibility of pleasing everybody)

I'm totally with you on this, there's a real sense of entitlement growing in the last few years amongst players. Probably indicative of society on general but that's another debate.

When I referred to the community it was only in the context of the possible early announcement being made to appease them. I wasn't making a case that they should be appeased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Kirby wrote: »
    Life 3 Half confirmed? :p

dont even fukking go there :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dark Souls 2, a little bit like Super Mario Sunshine.
    Yes, it is the weakest of the series, but it still beats the pants off of everyone else's best efforts!

• Advertisement

I'm totally with you on this, there's a real sense of entitlement growing in the last few years amongst players. Probably indicative of society on general but that's another debate.

When I referred to the community it was only in the context of the possible early announcement being made to appease them. I wasn't making a case that they should be appeased.

Ye know what? Feck that. Unless you are creating and distributing your art for free, the customer is entitled. The moment you demand money for your art, the customer is in charge. You appease the customers to get their money. Thats how business works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ye know what? Feck that. Unless you are creating and distributing your art for free, the customer is entitled. The moment you demand money for your art, the customer is in charge. You appease the customers to get their money. Thats how business works.

Nope.
    Not how art works at all.
    I paint.
    When I paint something I decide what it is to be and how it is to be painted.
    When it is completed I will display it and allow people to view it and decide if it's worth the price I ask for it.
    A company may commission a game of a certain genre or franchise, and more control exerted.
    But in the case of From Software they have full control of the project and the direction of the game.
    They make the game they want to make with only responsibility to their own vision.
    The customer gets to decide to buy it or not but is in no position to make demands or complain of rights to have their game this way or that.
    The only contract is that the game fulfills the requirements for which it was purchased.
    And we have seen From Software respond positively to requests from players concerning weapon damage accumulation and loading times.
    That type of response is really the best a buyer and player of games can expect.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope.
    Not how art works at all.

Yeah....its how business works. And artists who sell their product are in the business world. It's not sunshine and rainbows. The customer is always right is a mantra for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The souls community are no different than any other. It's impossible to please everyone and those who feel entitled shout louder than others. Thankfully they're a minority. Dark Souls 2 had problems but it was a fantastic game and improved a lot of things over the original.

I actually hope Miyazaki takes note of the long running success of Dark Souls 2 due to the fantastic multiplayer and pvp platforms that were put in and continues them into 3.

Dark Souls 1's world, creativity, bosses and lore and Dark Souls 2 multiplayer and build diversity would be the perfect souls game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Feels a bit too soon tbh, would rather get an Armored Core game to space out the releases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Feels a bit too soon tbh, would rather get an Armored Core game to space out the releases

An AC game would be great, played and loved about 3 of them on PS2 and PS3. Actually im not sure what platform they where on. But is AC even relevant in the west anymore? I could see how it would appeal to a Japanese audience but i always imagined it did poorly in the US/EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Sieghardt wrote: »
    When you have a game that is a massive commercial success that is the game you put the most time into making that. There is a reason Bloodborne was made during the development of DS2. It was so they could build on the commercial success of the Souls series. If the do announce Dark Souls 3 then fair play, they are giving the Souls community, which has expanded massively since even Dark Souls, exactly what they want and they are going to make a lot of money by doing so. More power to them and I, for one, am extremely excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So it's all but confirmed and the PC release is getting the shaft again!

Yeah....its how business works. And artists who sell their product are in the business world. It's not sunshine and rainbows. The customer is always right is a mantra for a reason.

and if Miyazaki went my that mantra we would have no demons souls or dark souls. It's because he took over a practically doomed project and was free to make the game he wanted to that we got these games, not because he wanted to appease the customer. Most of the time the customer thinks they know what they want, and that's usually more of the same because of their lack of imagination. It takes people like Miyazaki to ignore them and show them what they actually want.

I think a lot of entitled gamers really need to shut up and people need to stop listening to the,. You buy a game and it turns out shoddy, fair enough, have a rant about it and hopefully the developer can pick up on it and improve. However moaning about a game before it's even out is just stupid and those types of entitled muppets should grow up. They're the same type of people that dismissed Wind Waker because of the art or hell even dismissed a Dark Souls for going open world.

• Advertisement

• Players are entitled to a say going forward to a point (f*** I hate that phrase sorry) As usual the vocal minority get get too much attention as with many things over the last few years in games that are not worth mentioning in this thread and fusses being made where none need be etc but I will say this you only have to look at the difference in post content here between the DS1 and DS2 thread to see what needs to be changed in Ds3 and what needs to stay the same.

Those threads here are night and day.

Advertisement