Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post PostFX™ prepaid MasterCard® currency card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The best rate will be gotten via your debit card. The rate has changed massively from the last posts in this thread, now £1 = €1.35 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Post office gives a decent enough rate if you are just looking bo buy £ in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

.... particularly in the case of a car hire, where a company has let you drive away in a car worth tens of thousands, to be secured only by a card with a finite amount preloaded onto it?

But credit cards have limits too ? Credit limit of 1,000 wont pay for a car !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bmm wrote: »
    But credit cards have limits too ? Credit limit of 1,000 wont pay for a car !

They have a real, identified and credit checked person tied to them though. Prepaid don't - which is why they will never be taken for car hire unless the desk operator is about to fall asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bizebee

Hi All,

I am going to America for 3 weeks and i just have a quick question or two which i hope people can help me with :)

if you have to sign for your purchase as there is no chip and pin option available - and as your name is not on the front of the card - what happens then?
    also I have heard of people being asked credit/debit card and sometimes it getting refused when they say debit? what is the best answer to say ( if asked) with this card?

Thank you :)

Not sure if they even check half the time, but from my own experience in Vegas last year it's all sign for, not once did I see a chip n pin system.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Not sure if they even check half the time.
    Agreed! In one theatre I was asked to sign. The pen fell out of my hand and hit the screen. The attendant said that's fine - tickets, thank you!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Chip and pin is rare in my experience but where I have seen it e.g. Sam's Club then it was Debit Card only, the AnPost card actually and they would not accept Cr Card chip and pin, mad. Everywhere else is sign and in the supermarkets now you just swipe your card and that's it, don't even need to sign anything, you could just find a card on the ground and walk into Target and get whatever groceries you wanted and they would not check for signature at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Is there a daily ATM withdrawal limit with these cards? Bank of Ireland have a 200 euro daily withdrawal limit in the USA which can be a pain sometimes so I am considering using one of these for the time I am over there rather than my usual BOI Visa debit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Harcrid wrote: »
    Is there a daily ATM withdrawal limit with these cards? Bank of Ireland have a 200 euro daily withdrawal limit in the USA which can be a pain sometimes so I am considering using one of these for the time I am over there rather than my usual BOI Visa debit.

$800
    * Some ATM operators or merchants may charge a(n) (additional) fee or set their own limits. Please confirm whether any fees or limits apply, before making a withdrawal or purchase.

according to
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 J1Summer2015

Hi, can the an post travel card only be topped up from a post office in Ireland or have i any way of doing it in the US? If not, can i top up my AIB account from here?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi, can the an post travel card only be topped up from a post office in Ireland or have i any way of doing it in the US? If not, can i top up my AIB account from here?
    Thanks

No you can only top the card up at the counter at any of the An Post offices and don't forget ID. It can't be topped upped abroad or via a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

No you can only top the card up at the counter at any of the An Post offices and don't forget ID. It can't be topped upped abroad or via a bank account.

Bloody thing is useless. I spent more on the thing than i would have spent on fee's if i'd used my normal bank card / credit card.

Very hard to empty it and any unused money is lost after a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

TBi wrote: »
    Bloody thing is useless. I spent more on the thing than i would have spent on fee's if i'd used my normal bank card / credit card.

Very hard to empty it and any unused money is lost after a year or so.

Thats very interesting. I found it invaluable when I go to Vegas. Zero charges for purchases compared to 1.75% for my AIB Visa Debit card. ATM fees are a different matter.

I also got whatever cash was left on it at my local post office. Just went handed it over with my ID and job done.

Not being able to top it up is a pain but with planning its a boon for me but it seems its not for everyone.

The rates are poor compared to the standard Visa exchange rates that I would get from my Ulster Bank debit card. Coupled with the costs I don't find it value for money and only really useful versus cash from a safety stand point.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

The rates are poor compared to the standard Visa exchange rates that I would get from my Ulster Bank debit card. Coupled with the costs I don't find it value for money and only really useful versus cash from a safety stand point.
    Can you tell me why you think the rates are poor compared to Visa exchange rates? I am interested specifically in dollars. I looked at AIB so maybe their fees are different.

Here's the cost I came up with for a $1,000 transaction using fx rates on their websites:

Visa Debit - withdrawal from ATM in the states - cost 950.76 EUR (assuming 2.5% withdrawal fee and 1% fx commission)
    Visa Debit - purchase from a vendor in the states - cost 934.69 EUR (assuming 1.75% point of sale fee)
    An Post - withdrawal from ATM in the states - cost 926.78 EUR (std rate of $2.50 per withdrawal)
    An Post - purchase from a vendor in the states - cost 924.47 (0 commission)
    AIB FX over the counter - cost 914.62 EUR (1% commission to a max of 6.35)

So in my view the best thing to do is get cash out at my local branch and then use one of their cards when I'm out there.

Thoughts? Have I mis-calculated above?

Your rates for AIB seem similar to those charged by Ulster Bank, (they have a 1% usage fee and a 1% ERTF fee - both maximum of €6). I've used the Visa website to calculate the cost, (setting the fee at 2% - not 100% sure that's even correct), but over $1,000 you save about €9.

With such a small saving, coupled with the need to go and apply for the card as well as having to jump throw hoops to top it up make we disregard it.

That being said if you want to use it instead of cash I can see some benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

I think we are on the same wavelength. Don't think I put a max of €6 (they didnt mention a max anywhere) on the cash withdrawal but even with that the fees charged by the banks actually negate the better rate offered by visa.

The Visa rate would need to be around 2% better than the an post rate which it's not so I actually think you're better off going with the an post card. But yeah the difference isn't massive but I'd rather have the tenner than not!

It's handy for me that there's a post office beside my workplace but I agree that the hassle with top ups means I wont be using it as my only option when in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We throw around a ton on one of these and use it as a backup in the states, plus there are some retailers that will not accept nonUS credit cards would you believe, Sams Club being the main one so this is something we use there rather than cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I think we are on the same wavelength. Don't think I put a max of €6 (they didnt mention a max anywhere) on the cash withdrawal but even with that the fees charged by the banks actually negate the better rate offered by visa.

The Visa rate would need to be around 2% better than the an post rate which it's not so I actually think you're better off going with the an post card. But yeah the difference isn't massive but I'd rather have the tenner than not!

It's handy for me that there's a post office beside my workplace but I agree that the hassle with top ups means I wont be using it as my only option when in the states.

A workaround if you like for the topping up issue is to get 2 cards and leave 1 here and get it topped up for you by family/friends.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91303369&postcount=113

And now you can top up the cards online at https://postfx.anpost.ie/ with a visa debit card, maestro card or master debit card.

No more need to go to the post office to top up, all done online from anywhere in the world, now that is a nice new feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are these cards any good for buying goods online ? I buy a few bits from Canada and was thinking of picking up An Post Canadian Dollar card to use.

I just don't want to have my bank card on the site, so thought this might be a little safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The Revolut prepaid MasterCard seems a far better option at least for the next 12 months - FREE being the operative word. Check out the Revolut thread.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The Revolut prepaid MasterCard seems a far better option at least for the next 12 months - FREE being the operative word. Check out the Revolut thread.

However the revolut card can't do one thing that the AnPost does very well, it can't use a different address than the registered address for AVS.

With the Anpost card you can define a temporary address (for example parcel motel in the north or your US mailing provider) and hence pass AVS. That is great because it involves no paperwork. You simply go online and add for example Parcel Motel as address.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are these cards any good for buying goods online ? I buy a few bits from Canada and was thinking of picking up An Post Canadian Dollar card to use.

I just don't want to have my bank card on the site, so thought this might be a little safer.

Yes you can use them online, however if the merchant demands "Mastercard Secure Code" for transaction than you are out of luck, the card does not do that enhances security feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

For online top up, does it go on instantly?

I imagine this will be handy when I'm in Vegas in December being able to top-up on the go or each day without having to guess who much I will spend over the course of a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Will this work as a credit card for booking into a hotel in America

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement