Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Christmas Movie Club #2 - Trading Places

• 01-06-2015 3:35pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This week is 1983's "Trading Places"

Plot:
    Mortimer and Randolph Duke are commodity brokers who enjoy a little wager now and then. For the latest bet, Randolph believes they can take a common criminal and make him a successful businessman in the company. The criminal, Billy Ray, is to be given the job and home of Louis, who in turn is set up for crimes he didn't commit, to see if he resorts to crime once he's lost his rich environment and friends.

Trailer:

Where to Find it:

To Rent:
    iTunes HD €3.99
    Sky Movies on demand SD & HD €- Included in your Sky Movie Package

The thread will stay open for a week. If you haven't seen this classic I highly recommend it, it's very funny.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've never seen this, which is shocking - really looking forward to it though, it has great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

One of Eddie Murphy's best performances and Dan Ackroyd's too for that matter. Genuinely funny, smart without ever being patronizing and the train sequence is one of the stand out comedy film moments of the 80s.
    The director had to seriously coax the great Don Ameche to curse in one of the final scenes as he felt the language was too coarse and insisted it be a one take deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This is on the agenda for tomorrow night. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What a perfect way to follow The Grinch. Totally different films!

I love this. Parts of it are all kinds of wrong but it's just so much fun and the ending it so satisfying. :D

I love how snobby Louis is and it's one of the few films where I can handle Eddie Murphy. He's just so good in it. Nobody else could roll into the film like he does at the start.

It's not really overly Christmassy, but to me it's definitely a Christmas film.

Oh and it has one of my favourite lines from a film ever, one that I use myself year after year:

o9l839.jpg

Great choice. I'm loving having a Christmas movie night every week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always say "Merry New Year" because of Trading Places!! :D

It is weird that you can say 'merry' or 'happy' for Christmas but only 'happy' for New Year. He's right to act confused!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just watched this now to cheer myself up a bit! Hadn't ever heard of it until ye started talking about it on here! Can't believe it's 32 years old, all the older characters in it are dead now (whenever I watch an old movie I always look up the actors on Wikipedia to see where they are now and a lot of them are usually dead!). Anyway, it was a good laugh but not sure it's very Christmassy only that you see the odd tree or decoration but it was a distraction for a few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Great movie love watching it.Lewie eating the salmon with the hair all over it :) as for Jamie Lee :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There's not much I can say about Trading Places except that it's one of my all time favourite films.
    I love everything about it!! :D

The fact that justice is served in the end is always sweet in any movie. The whole Christmas party scene followed by the fish eating on the bus- hilarious and disgusting!
    Although I am always horrified by the scene where Louis tries
    to shoot himself
    . That he could have succeeded thanks to the Duke's bet is appalling. What awful, awful people they were. :mad:

Jamie Lee is great in this- I'm glad Winthorpe found her instead of staying with the vile Penelope in the uppity club with all his fake friends who deserted him pretty fast when times got tough!

Valentine: "You know, it occurs to me that the best way to hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people."
    Coleman: "You have to admit, sir, you didn't like it yourself a bit."

Bb6eBrqIgAAXW3Y.jpg

:D:D

Overall Enjoyment- 5 out of 5 Christmas Stars

Christmassy Feeling- 4 out of 5 Santas. This film always reminds me of Christmas!! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

One of my favs on the list, I throughly enjoyed re-watching this classic! Eddie Murphy's star was beginning to rise and he was in his prime during this period, (his decline was shortly followed).

Dan Ankroyd was also on great form in this and plays the posh snobby person brilliantly.

The scene on the train when they're trying to switch the briefcase is my favourite.

Although not an out and out Christmas movie, it's a favourite for the tv channels to show around the holidays and that's why I associate it with Christmas.

Overall this is absolutely 5/5 while Christmassy feeling is a 3/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Another one of my favourite films, haven't seen it in a while so I think it's one I'll be watching soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement