Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't access router (Eircom) 192.168.1.254

• 15-05-2015 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Installed today 8 port LAN switch
    http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.aspx?pn=ES3108CH4

After installation I can't access to my eircom router any more

This webpage is not available , connection attempt to 192.168.1.254 was rejected.
    The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.

Router: eircom D1000 - ZyXEL ( P-66HNU-Tx )

What I'm doing wrong or what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

If I'm right...and that's seldom enough.........connect to the switch by network cable so you can look at its settings. Find out what it's default IP address is (read the manual) and try typing that into your browser address bar...

The WAN side of the switch should have an IP address in the format 192.168.1.XXX.

The LAN side of the switch should be on a different sub-network and should be in the format 192.168.2.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX etc. As long as it isn't 192.168.1.XXX it should be fine.

DHCP on the switch should also be switched on so it allocates IP addresses to anything that is connected to it. I think DHCP on the Zyxel should be off but I'm open to correction...

At this point I may have blown everything up on you....or it might work...hopefully the latter....but I'm sure one of the networking hotshots here will be on later and put us both right....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it was a manged switch, then yes it would most likely be an IP conflict (both switch and router trying to use 192.168.1.254) BUT, I doubt thats managed at that price.

Sh1tty switch? Can you ping the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

exaisle wrote: »
    If I'm right...and that's seldom enough.........connect to the switch by network cable so you can look at its settings. Find out what it's default IP address is (read the manual) and try typing that into your browser address bar...

The WAN side of the switch should have an IP address in the format 192.168.1.XXX and DHCP on the Zyxel should be switched on so it allocates an IP address to the switch, which will be in that format (OR you can switch DHCP off and allocate its IP manually).

The LAN side of the switch should be on a different sub-network and should be in the format 192.168.2.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX etc. As long as it isn't 192.168.1.XXX it should be fine.

DHCP on the switch should also be switched on so it allocates IP addresses to anything that is connected "downstream" of it.

At this point I may have blown everything up on you....or it might work...hopefully the latter....but I'm sure one of the networking hotshots here will be on later and put us both right....

The OP has installed a switch so WAN/LAN IP/DHCP etc does not apply here (layer 2 v's layer 3). OP can you ping 192.168.1.254?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Hi!

Installed today 8 port LAN switch
    http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.aspx?pn=ES3108CH4

After installation I can't access to my eircom router any more

This webpage is not available , connection attempt to 192.168.1.254 was rejected.
    The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.

Router: eircom D1000 - ZyXEL ( P-66HNU-Tx )

What I'm doing wrong or what should I do?

It's not possible for a dumb switch (one without any networking functions) to block you from accessing your router. Reboot the router and your pc. After that if you open command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" your router should be listed as the gateway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Restarted both router and PC - no luck

• Advertisement

Next thing to do is factory reset your router

I can't access to the router..

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    I can't access to the router..

There should be a manual reset pin hole

So...did manual reset - on meantime I unplugged new "LAN switch-direct CAT6 setup" and connected back old "TP link powerline system" I had before.
    Laugh or cry - now old setup doesn't work either...

Tried to access 192.168.1.254 via android phone - same - webpage not available..

That leaves busted router option ?

Ok...changed to new router (had spare one as eircom sent me two ) and everything works as it should over LAN switch.
    Weird that old router still connected to the internet while didn't let me to access to router settings or did not reset by pressing button in pinhole.

However, thanks a mill for everybody!

I think router is busted - problem solved!

• Advertisement

Did you hold the reset for 30 seconds?

Tried 30 sec reset now - nope , no luck - internet functioning with no problem but access to 192.168.1.254 is not possible..

Update:

New try next morning - factory reset worked absolutely with no problem - all good again - everything works as it should - mystery...

Thanks for everybody!

Another update,

so yesterday I was playing around with my dvr and router settings - creating new ports and enabling / disabling access commands.
    On the very end (couldn't get this bloody dvr working anyway) I did internal factory reset - looked like a simpler option for me to place everything back where they been before messing around - instead of cancelling step-by-step all changes I made and deleting ports I opened.
    And I was back on round zero !!! I couldn't access 192.168.1.122 at all at all- did numerous amount of pinhole factory reset's with no luck what-so-ever, regardless how many seconds I pressed this needle onto reset pin switch. It just didn't do it !
    Internet was working absolutely fine - never mind all new ports I created was there and been fully opened (checked with canyouseeme.org )

But today - woke up - one time pinhole factory reset and all good again. It's like reset-time-lock or something built into it

Though - that might could be useful info for somebody.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

degsie wrote: »
    The OP has installed a switch so WAN/LAN IP/DHCP etc does not apply here (layer 2 v's layer 3). OP can you ping 192.168.1.254?

See....I told ya I was seldom right....

Thanks for the heads up though :-) and glad the OP has more or less got the problem sorted....

Advertisement