Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you think ?

• 13-05-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey folks !

I was just wondering,
    What do you think about French food and what comes to your mind when you think about it !?

Haha. Let me know .

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What type of French food do you mean? Classical haute cuisine, rustic/traditional/modern/regional foods?

Maybe if you gave us a better idea of what you are really looking for it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 FranDub

Hey The Hill Billy,

It's a very wide topic, I know.. but for some reasons, some people will link french food with snails and some others will like it with frogs or mushrooms.

I just would like to know what's the very first thing that comes to mind when you think about French food... It a wide topic, but answers can be very wide as well..

I know it doesn't really help tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

FranDub wrote: »
    Hey folks !

I was just wondering,
    What do you think about French food and what comes to your mind when you think about it !?

Haha. Let me know .

:)

For me, what first comes to mind is a big heavily topped Croque Monsieur with melting gruyere & bechamel, and mabey a touch of muscade.
    The second is Chateaubriand, sauce bearnaise and frites mmh!
    'ha ha' & all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Cheese and wine

Thanks a million for your answers !

Wine and Cheese.. Not bad !
    Haha, the croc' monsieur just made me want to go to the kitchen and start making one !!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cassoulet, horse steak with a fried egg, steaks done blue & a Burgundy, crêpes au chocolat, garlicky snails & a glass of armangac, macarons, fois gras with a crusty baguette & a chilled Alsace Riesling.

Do you work in a restaurant ? :D
    I feel like I am starving Haha

Cassoulet, horse steak with a fried egg, steaks done blue & a Burgundy, crêpes au chocolat, garlicky snails & a glass of armangac, macarons, fois gras with a crusty baguette & a chilled Alsace Riesling.

Mon dieu Hill Billy! would that be Vendange Tardive or Selection des Grains Nobles?
    I nearly passed out reading your post! You have the constitution of an Ox.

Folks, where are you from ?

Folks, where are you from ?

I am a Dub

• Advertisement

Joolzie wrote: »
    I am a Dub

Ah, that's cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The first dish I think of is Coq au Vin. Not sure why, I've never ordered, it just pops up first.
    But when I think about a whole meal of french cuisine; french onion soup, scallop gratin, steak tartare, a big fruity beaujolais, duck confit (or a l'orange) with potato gallette, tarte tatin, and the croquembouche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Bouillabaisse, cassoulet, confit of duck, rilettes, baked vacherin mont d'or, Plateau de fruits de mer, ratatouille, French onion soup, tarte tatin, creme brûlée, salad nicoise, souffle.

Minder wrote: »
    Bouillabaisse, cassoulet, confit of duck, rilettes, baked vacherin mont d'or, Plateau de fruits de mer, ratatouille, French onion soup, tarte tatin, creme brûlée, salad nicoise, souffle.

:D Thats sounds like a typical french meal

Mellor wrote: »
    The first dish I think of is Coq au Vin. Not sure why, I've never ordered, it just pops up first.
    But when I think about a whole meal of french cuisine; french onion soup, scallop gratin, steak tartare, a big fruity beaujolais, duck confit (or a l'orange) with potato gallette, tarte tatin, and the croquembouche.

Coq au vin is really good !
    I feel ashamed I dont know what is a Croquenbouche ..

Coq au vin is really good !
    I feel ashamed I dont know what is a Croquenbouche ..

Une piece montee, (sorry, don't know where the accents are on this keyboard.) is another name for it. you know the cake they have at french weddings. Little choux pastries filled with creme patissiere, used like little building blocks, with fine sugar lacing all around it. Same shape as a parfait.

Une piece montee, (sorry, don't know where the accents are on this keyboard.) is another name for it. you know the cake they have at french weddings. Little choux pastries filled with creme patissiere, used like little building blocks, with fine sugar lacing all around it. Same shape as a parfait.

Are you French ?! :)

Are you French ?! :)

It's my turn to say a hearty Ha Ha! You already asked me a couple of posts further back, and I am still a Dub..:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

FranDub, what exactly are you looking for from this thread? You've asked people what comes to mind when they think of French food, but you seem extremely surprised by the answers you're getting. Is this market research of some sort?

Hey The Hill Billy,

It's a very wide topic, I know.. but for some reasons, some people will link french food with snails and some others will like it with frogs or mushrooms.

I just would like to know what's the very first thing that comes to mind when you think about French food... It a wide topic, but answers can be very wide as well..

I know it doesn't really help tho.

I don't assiociate french food with snails, as we don't eat them in Ireland. I associate them with gardening, as I had to spray one the other evening with vinegar, as I wanted to get rid of it from my bedroom window rather than eating it. YAK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I always think of a holiday we took in France in the late 90's. Neither of us spoke French and we stopped at a little place well off the beaten track absolutely starving.

The only thing we could remotely identify on the menu was an egg baguette. What arrived was a baguette filled with lettuce and 3 perfectly fried eggs (just as I like them with crispy skirts). It was fantastic and we still talk about it all these years later.

Maybe it doesn't sound so nice. Lettuce and fried egg is not a combination I'd have thought of but really, really good.;)

Faith wrote: »
    FranDub, what exactly are you looking for from this thread? You've asked people what comes to mind when they think of French food, but you seem extremely surprised by the answers you're getting. Is this market research of some sort?

Good evening friends!
    Just a little something to add in case anything gets deleted from this thread as inappropriate or whatever, but more so, this is very good for research.
    I had an english boyfriend a few years ago, and he had a Manor in Honfleur we used to stay at for the odd weekend. One particular weekend we were there, we went to a lovely restaurant for dinner, with another couple who were english. I was given the job of ordering the wine. I knew what wine I was going to order, but for the crack I let on I did n't know anything about it. On the list it said, said wine, reserve. I called over the waiter and asked him, what did reserve mean, he did n't know, nor did anybody in the establishment. I said I was from Barcelona,(Joking) but seemingly so were they.

In Paris, when you ask for une petite cote ,at the bar tabac, and get served it. Ask what grape varieties are in it, they have no idea, and wonder how could you ask such a bizarre question.
    In an Irish Restaurant, you can ask about house wine or wines on the list, or an ordered glass, and you will be informed of the country and the grape variety, because people in Ireland are interested in what they are doing, and what they are serving the public, unlike the french, who actually have no idea, & think everyone should already know, unlike them.

Ah, alright, I see what is it now.. Thanks for the explanation ! :)

I don't assiociate french food with snails, as we don't eat them in Ireland. I associate them with gardening, as I had to spray one the other evening with vinegar, as I wanted to get rid of it from my bedroom window rather than eating it. YAK!

Well, next time you should try to eat it.. I don't mean to eat it raw, but snails are pretty good with a butter cream and some herbs ! YUM :P

Good evening friends!
    Just a little something to add in case anything gets deleted from this thread as inappropriate or whatever, but more so, this is very good for research.
    I had an english boyfriend a few years ago, and he had a Manor in Honfleur we used to stay at for the odd weekend. One particular weekend we were there, we went to a lovely restaurant for dinner, with another couple who were english. I was given the job of ordering the wine. I knew what wine I was going to order, but for the crack I let on I did n't know anything about it. On the list it said, said wine, reserve. I called over the waiter and asked him, what did reserve mean, he did n't know, nor did anybody in the establishment. I said I was from Barcelona,(Joking) but seemingly so were they.

In Paris, when you ask for une petite cote ,at the bar tabac, and get served it. Ask what grape varieties are in it, they have no idea, and wonder how could you ask such a bizarre question.
    In an Irish Restaurant, you can ask about house wine or wines on the list, or an ordered glass, and you will be informed of the country and the grape variety, because people in Ireland are interested in what they are doing, and what they are serving the public, unlike the french, who actually have no idea, & think everyone should already know, unlike them.

TOUCHÉ !!

I always think of a holiday we took in France in the late 90's. Neither of us spoke French and we stopped at a little place well off the beaten track absolutely starving.

The only thing we could remotely identify on the menu was an egg baguette. What arrived was a baguette filled with lettuce and 3 perfectly fried eggs (just as I like them with crispy skirts). It was fantastic and we still talk about it all these years later.

Maybe it doesn't sound so nice. Lettuce and fried egg is not a combination I'd have thought of but really, really good.;)

Oh that sounds nice ! Sometimes, simple things are the best. If you ever go back to France and are a bit on a rush. Just stop and ask for a Paris-beurre.. Same kind of thing but it's butter, ham and cheese in the baguette.. It's something very popular in the train and bus stations !

Well, next time you should try to eat it.. I don't mean to eat it raw, but snails are pretty good with a butter cream and some herbs ! YUM :P

Never ever ever ever, yakady yak khak!!! eeuugghhhhh
    Twice in my life, it has been on a fork, and they were offering me money.... money going up up, the second time it happened I put it in my mouth and nearly had a heart attack, spat it out. Never.

Have you ever eaten a whelk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Love them. Can't get them very often though.

Never ever ever ever, yakady yak khak!!! eeuugghhhhh
    Twice in my life, it has been on a fork, and they were offering me money.... money going up up, the second time it happened I put it in my mouth and nearly had a heart attack, spat it out. Never.

YES, more than once even.. To be honest it's not something that I really like, but it's ok during summer, eating outisde under the sun with a bit of Mayonnaise .. :P

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »

Hello,

First, let me introduce myself : I am French and I live next to Dublin.
    According to that, indeed sometimes I am a bit surprised by the answers as there are things that I don't even really know myself or because I had in mind that this or that product was not really known outside the French borders. I have been here for a while now and I was wondering why there are so many Italian and Spanish products in stores while we can not find that much French products. If you want, you can consider it as a survey, but the aim of this topic is just to see what people from Ireland have in mind when they think about french food, just to check if the frog's legs and snails cliche are still alive in a time of globalisation and things like that.

Does that answer your question ? :):)

Advertisement