Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Path to Software Engineer?

• 27-04-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Without boring you with the whole story I graduated undergrad business but took up programming a few months back and love it - having been a bit bored by the "businessy" jobs that I've been in I would love to have a career as a software engineer.

As I see it I have 3 options to be taken seriously by employers:
    1. Coding Bootcamps in the US (€10,000, 3 Months). I could get a graduate J1 visa and would have 8-9 months left before I'd need another work visa if I wanted to work there after. Some of the better-known ones seem to have good networks - I particularly like App Academy because you don't need to pay them until you find work. I am a bit iffy as to whether they actually get many people into software-building roles (as opposed to web design or tech support roles...)
    2. UCD's MSc. Computer Science (Conversion) (€6,000, 16 Months). This seems relatively thorough although I've also heard that graduates of this have had trouble finding jobs recently (I've been LinkedIn creeping....).
    3. BSc. Computer Science (Various) (€20,000, 3-4 Years FT). I'm trying to steer clear of this because its massively time consuming and I wouldn't be earning for another few years. I could also do this part-time but I feel that would just be dragging it out for even longer before I can look for work.

Any thoughts on any of the above options?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

A degree is kind of the base level these days for many IT roles. Consider part time - I'm doing a Comp Sci degree part time (4 years) it's roughly 4k/year and there is quite a lot of commitment needed but it's doable. There's a few software devs doing the course aswell as they hit a brick wall in terms of where they could go and what they could do without a degree.

However the conversion courses might suit even better if you have a degree already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yep the conversion course would be a good bet. Be sure to consider courses from other universities, some may offer an integrated work placement which would be a huge benefit. Some companies hugely prefer graduates with full undergrad degrees over conversion courses but you would still have a pretty good chance. You could go for internships first either. I know someone who got an internship after graduating from a conversion course last year and is now on a very generous salary.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

There is "Bootcamps" in Dublin also, I can't vouch for them and I don't believe any of them are accredited but stuff like devstream.io and codeinstitute exist. There is also some others in London (General Assembly i think?). I can't provide much more insight but just to let you know they are there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The MSc would be good, DCU do a graduate diploma in Comp Science that, if you do well, you can then use as the basis for an MSc.

Also look for programming tasks that you can do in your current role, I know a number of people who started out that way while studying part-time. (Excel macros are an easy win at the beginning), maybe you could move over to your IT department if you prove that your good.

The Smurfitt business school did MSc's that are very good and reasonably priced, but aren't listed on their website anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Do you have any idea what type of programming you want to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I dunno - some of the best software engineers I know didn't finish college or study computer science. It's not the easiest path, but I'm not sure the three options you've listed are the only ones employers take seriously.

IMHO, outside of academia people just see degrees as tick boxes. A lot of places won't care *too much* about them, as long as you can do the job. I don't know what kind of work you're looking to get into, but for an entry level position if you had a certification or two and a decent looking CV (I don't mean work experience, just formatted well/appropriate keywords/some projects listed that sound promising) it would be enough to get you a phone interview.

The other thing worth considering is online / part-time degrees. Especially if you can get a full-time job somewhere. It is subjective but I think you'd be much better off (in terms of hireability and financially) if, in 3-4 years you're CV said something like:

Work Experience: Company XYZ - Junior C++/Java/C#/Whatever Developer - 3-4 years experience
    Education: Masters Of Computer Science /Business degree

Instead of finishing the masters degree in 2-3 years and have a CV that says

Work Experience: None
    Education: Masters of Computer Science / Business degree.

Plus you might be able to get the employer to pay for some of your tuition.

Just a thought. Whatever you do, I hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Start getting involved in some open source projects. Get a githib account and add some projects. As UCDvet says its good to fatten up the CV. A hiring manager for a software company will love being able to see code you have written and put you ahead of the pack who have degrees. It will show you actually love to code, which is what they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

people are thinking they can be a software engineer after few months? gosh thats where all security holes comes from

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Asmooh wrote: »
    people are thinking they can be a software engineer after few months? gosh thats where all security holes comes from

Software Engineering and Development is a vocation. Like becoming a Master Painter or Carpenter, it takes a lot of time, effort, study and work. Some may think they're done when they leave College, which is not the case. The learning continues as there is always something to learn, a problem to discover and a solution to research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Don't pay 10K for a coding bootcamp under the assumption it'll make you a good software engineer.

There's lots of great material online, start off with coursera or udacity courses, and start writing some programs.

If you want to do a conversion course later do that. Start slow, learn building blocks one piece at a time, and expect it to take a few years, if you actually want to know what you are doing, and do good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

A bit of a side question: I come from an Electronic Engineering background so I have very little formal education in CS. I have a couple of years experience with PHP and Java. In interviews in the past I've found myself tripping up on what I presume would be fairly trivial questions on algorithms and data structures.

What would be the best way to bridge the gap of these fundamentals? Can you recommend courses in Dublin, online courses or books and which would be the best to do. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a conversion course if it would be worth the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Peck3277 wrote: »
    A bit of a side question: I come from an Electronic Engineering background so I have very little formal education in CS. I have a couple of years experience with PHP and Java. In interviews in the past I've found myself tripping up on what I presume would be fairly trivial questions on algorithms and data structures.

What would be the best way to bridge the gap of these fundamentals? Can you recommend courses in Dublin, online courses or books and which would be the best to do. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a conversion course if it would be worth the time?

I would recommend becomming an Oracle certified Java programmer. Then obtain Java Developer certification. It will teach you the basics and doesn't cost much. Learn from your mistakes. If you get a question wrong in an interview then make sure you find out the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

I do not think 3 month bootcamp will be enough to but you ahead of a degree holder in the same field. Not to talk of having both. You could give the bootcamp a try first since their is more likely job, then after maybe getting a job, you can give
    Msc partime a try. Their are colleges with flexible programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I dont know much about the US boot camps apart from a couple of videos ive watched on them but 10,000 for a 3-month course and then money for flights and living over there...not cheap and a bit risky. Depends if you want to live and work in the US after that..

If I were you I would definitely go for the Conversion course option. If you qualify for a Springboard Conversion course then there will be no fee. Not sure if that UCD one is a Springboard course. Money aside though, I think a conversion course would be the better option anyway.

In my opinion one of the main things about the conversion courses is the access that it gives you to employers that you might never get outside of the college environment. On campus talks from companies (with on-campus interviews in some cases), graduate jobs being emailed to you regularly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

stainluss wrote: »
    As I see it I have 3 options to be taken seriously by employers:
    1. Coding Bootcamps in the US (€10,000, 3 Months). I could get a graduate J1 visa and would have 8-9 months left before I'd need another work visa if I wanted to work there after. Some of the better-known ones seem to have good networks - I particularly like App Academy because you don't need to pay them until you find work. I am a bit iffy as to whether they actually get many people into software-building roles (as opposed to web design or tech support

I too have researched into this option, and just to warn you the likes of App Academy require international applicants to pay the full fees, as they cannot guarantee work in the US due to visa issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

syklops wrote: »
    Start getting involved in some open source projects. Get a githib account and add some projects. As UCDvet says its good to fatten up the CV. A hiring manager for a software company will love being able to see code you have written and put you ahead of the pack who have degrees. It will show you actually love to code, which is what they want to see.

Is there really many open source projects that have people working on them who have only a few months programming experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EamonnDunne

robbiezero wrote: »
    Is there really many open source projects that have people working on them who have only a few months programming experience?

No, and its for a good reason. The job of maintaining an active open source project is a difficult and time consuming task. Its an inappropriate environment for people starting out and wanting to work on something.

Thats what side projects are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No, and its for a good reason. The job of maintaining an active open source project is a difficult and time consuming task. Its an inappropriate environment for people starting out and wanting to work on something.

Thats what side projects are for.

Theres more to developing an app than writing code. Theres QA, writing documentation and bug testing. All stuff which is valuable to a software dev in training. Its actually the perfect environment for someone starting out, assuming the environment is conducive to encouraging development and growth. No-one left the womb writing perfect code.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've just removed a few posts there; any user posting representing a business must contact the office first, otherwise their posts will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I wouldn't touch the boot camps: they may well teach you stuff, but the qualification would not be taken seriously by an Irish employer.

The conversion course is a good route. If you have the time, do that, and follow on with a masters. NUIG do a H.Dip. in computing which can be extended into another year for a Masters - I imagine that the Dublin colleges do something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I've got accepted to both DIT's Masters Qualifier and UCD's Conversion. If you couple DIT's Feb entry with their follow-up 1 year MSc. Computing (Advanced Software Development) they both take roughly the same time.

According to a quick LinkedIn search, the DIT option would yield better (read: actual dev/engineering) jobs. The people I found from UCD were working in analytical roles, but very few in full-on Software Dev roles. If this is true I'll happily take DIT, but who knows, maybe I just didn't search hard enough.

The sample size was 10-15 people (see I can be sciencey and analytical :pac:) but does this sound about right?
    Magnate wrote: »
    I too have researched into this option, and just to warn you the likes of App Academy require international applicants to pay the full fees, as they cannot guarantee work in the US due to visa issues etc.

Realized this literally 10 mins after reading the acceptance email and jumping for joy :( It was in the attachments - I told them in no uncertain terms that they should make this clearer on their site, to be fair Kush (the founder, I assume he's a zillionaire at this stage) was actually nice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Hi Guys,

I've come here in search of similar advice myself.

Basically, I graduated with a Business degree (level 8) last year and have been working in an entry level role in an office for the past 6 months. I'm 23 years old.

The company I work for can be a little "stuck in its ways". Most of the managers have been there since Italia 90. I enjoy business and have always had an entrepreneurial mindset. My job is a lot of paper work, emails, meeting etc... which I don't mind but I really want to make things, develop solutions etc... There isn't a lot of scope in my role to do so.

I have "coded" since I was 13 or 14. What I mean by that is that I have always been interested in building fun little websites. I was pretty decent with HTML and CSS by the time I was 15 or 16. Right now I run my own website on the side which earns me a few hundred euros a month. It's based on wordpress and woocommerce but I customize it by hacking together code. I'm always tinkering away at something. I customize plugins and the like. I'm by no means an expert in any language - I've learned everything I know from forums and YouTube.

To tell you the truth I'm a lot happier tinkering away with code than I am doing my 'real' job.

The other week I was delegated a task. It was to be my responsibility from here on in. It was very repetitive and boring. Mostly data entry. It was torture. I thought that there simply must be a better way. I did some googling and discovered VBA for MS Office. I watched some YouTube videos and pieced together code at home and on my lunch break.

I got it to work which condensed two hours of work into about 20 minutes by automating most of the task. I got such a thrill from my script actually working. Not only that but I could actually calculate how much time and money it would save over 1 year, 2 years etc... Anyways it got me thinking about how much I love coding and how much experience I actually have. I pick things up pretty quick and although I'm not "fluent" in any language I can always figure things out with enough googling and YouTube to create a solution or workaround to problems.

I've started to learn JavaScript using Codecademy. I love it. I feel like it's the missing piece from my puzzle seeing as I'm already pretty handy with HTML and CSS.

I've decided I want to switch careers and enter IT. I was thinking of doing an ICT conversion course in the National College of Ireland - perhaps specializing in the Web Technologies stream.

I have a few questions:

1. Are these conversion courses actually respected by employers?

2. In a head to head job hunt who would win? Me (Level 8 in Business, runs own small online business, 2 years in a business entry level role, few years retail, ICT conversion course done, a few personal projects in my portfolio, decent in Adobe illustrator and After Effects and maybe an internship done) versus IT Grad (Level 8 in computer science, a few personal projects, internship, retail experience too).

3. I like web development (and design). Would HTML, CSS and Javascript be enough? Maybe add in some Ruby on Rails knowledge?

4. If I got the ICT conversion and did the internship as part of the course, what kind of salary would I be looking at? Business grads are thanking their lucky stars if they get €25k at the minute. Would ICT grads get more?

5. What languages have the most employment prospects in Ireland right now?

6. Are there any other realistic routes? Would it be possible to self teach and enter an IT role based on a self-taught knowledge-base and a portfolio?

7. Any other advice or criticism? :)

Cheers guy. I'd really appreciate any info at all.

- Fukuyama

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Fukuyama,

Did you get to find out any further information? Also did you go ahead and apply to NCI after?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I can answer one of the questions by saying that I did a conversion course in programming. My undergrad was in languages and in September I started a conversion course, and I'm due to start working in a graduate role as a software developer in a few weeks, so these courses are definitely respected by employers.

I can answer one of the questions by saying that I did a conversion course in programming. My undergrad was in languages and in September I started a conversion course, and I'm due to start working in a graduate role as a software developer in a few weeks, so these courses are definitely respected by employers.

Could I be as cheeky as to ask if it was UCDs? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

LilRedDorcha, that's good to hear. My own background is that I have a company that I worked on in College and luckily it meant full time employment once I finished Quantity Surveying course in 2010. Currently the company sells online and also distributes to stores so I'm looking at doing a conversion course that would both help my current business and also looking at working in the IT industry in the future. Signed up for the NCI Post Grad Dip in Web Technologies so working my way through the Codecademy courses before it starts in 6 weeks. So all feedback on Conversion Courses greatly accepted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Mine was in UL.

Doing a bit before starting is a good idea, just to get your head around it, but plenty don't so that won't be a problem. You'll find a lot of people will say they've dabbled but actually know nothing much really! You will have the odd few who do know, but just saying not to worry if you go in knowing nothing.

The courses are insanely intensive and you learn a lot in a short time. I got a first because I put in early mornings, late nights, and didn't have weekends towards the end. Well worth it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I don't know what's in these conversion courses but a 4 year bachelor's will always be the base, at least in the absence of real world experience. That matters when sending CVs to non-technical HR drones that'll just bin your CV if it hasn't got a Bsc on it (if the conversion course partners with companies, u won't have to worry about this).

But this doesn't mean u have to do a 4 year Bsc. I contacted the head of IT in the local college and had a chat. Based on my prior experience, he let me go straight to year 3. I think he said i could even go to 4th year but I'd been out of the game for a long time so opted for 3rd year.

If people have written a few lines of code, that might be enough to skip the start of the 4 year Bsc, if even just the first year. But whatever gets u the piece of paper the quickest!!

Incidentally, after about 2 jobs, i was never so much as even asked about my degree, so really its just to get into your first job, or passed a HR filter.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Just as an update I took a sales engineer route along with side projects (some of which generated money) and now I’m the main developer for a small startup and couldn’t be happier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement