Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cullens Cider in Aldi?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know who makes this for Aldi, only noticed it in their current magazine, don't recall seeing it before.

Selling it ar 9.49€ for 8 x 500ml

Wonder how it compares to Bulmers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It seems to have replaced Taurus, same ABV and very similar taste. It is not a bad cheap cider as cheap ciders go. It compares in the sense it is not a dry cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it far off Bulmers? Who's brewing it for Aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

What do you mean 'far off' Bulmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What do you mean 'far off' Bulmers?

Taste wise ? What ya think I meant :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it far off Bulmers? Who's brewing it for Aldi?

I'm not sure who makes it for them. To be honest I haven't drank Bulmers in years. I reckon it would be close enough. Sure buy a can and test it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Its Taurus rebranded and its a better cider than Bulmers but still not as good as Devils Bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

just tried it... more tasty than bulmers as in its more appley less sweet but still not overly dry. at 1.29 worth a try as everyones taste is different. you can buy it in single can form which helps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I really don't think this is Taurus rebranded, the taste to me is different and not as good. Taurus was I believe a Bulmers product.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just trying it here. Not pushed on it. Tastes quite artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Taste wise ? What ya think I meant :-)

I hope so, bulmers is pish !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Not sold on the apple cider, but the pear one is nice and comes in the 2L bottles. It's much less dry than when the Taurus pear came in the bottles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Spotted this today and bought a can just to try it out. Verdict? Not bad at all. Not as nice as Stella, my usual 'cidre', but not bad at all for the price. €1.29 I think. Definitely a lot nicer than that horrible Orchard Thieves muck.

Spotted this today and bought a can just to try it out. Verdict? Not bad at all. Not as nice as Stella, my usual 'cidre', but not bad at all for the price. €1.29 I think. Definitely a lot nicer than that horrible Orchard Thieves muck.

I think Stella is awful and Cullens is much better lol.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I think Stella is awful and Cullens is much better lol.

I think they're similar enough taste wise actually, but Cullens is a bit more 'sour' if you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

All that matters is that we all agree that Bulmers is pish !!!!

I think they're similar enough taste wise actually, but Cullens is a bit more 'sour' if you like :)

Yes, Stella is sweeter. Nothing beats Devils Bit ;)

All that matters is that we all agree that Bulmers is pish !!!!

Still preferable to that awful Orchard Thieves ****e though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Drinking the pear one now. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr.Jim

Dudes i wont lie my guts feel like they were put into a blender. The cider is tasty but for a bender one two LTR bottles enough !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mr.Jim - Welcome to the forum.
    Please read the forum charter to get an understanding of how the forum works.
    This forum is for the mature discussion of our appreciation of drink. References to 'benders' & binge drinking, etc. are best taken elsewhere.

All the best,

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 toeburn

I don't know who makes it but who cares, are there any real cider drinkers commenting, and by that I mean people who can't drink anything else. Because no one has even mentioned heart burn which is a cider drinkers issue. Me, personally I'm a cider drinker and at the minute am half way through the second of what we call greennies, us cider drinkers and I'm ****in dyin with heartburn but I'm still gonna finish the rest, why because I'm a cider drinker lol ðŸ˜. As regards the taste, it's very similar to Orchard thieves interested of flavour and packs a nice hit with regards the kick. I'm always willing to try new ciders because I love it. But one thing I will say is " the Bulmers is the stuff, OK regards the price it's the dearest but no matter how many cans ya can get into ya, ya don't get the burn, I've yet to find another regularly available can a cider than doesn't provide the burn. Obviously Bulmers is my favourite, but coming in at second is two greennies a apple Cullens from aldi at 7.58 euro. That's for almost 8 pints and a little bit a burn. Equally add up for me pending finances ( ps. I only drink cider.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Aldi Cullens is made by Bulmers for Aldi. Lidl Woodgate is also made by Bulmers but is a different recipe to Cullens.

Anyone try the new craft ciders in Aldi? Armagh Craft Cider it's called. Available in dry, medium and sweet! I tried the medium and it's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Aldi Cullens is made by Bulmers for Aldi. Lidl Woodgate is also made by Bulmers but is a different recipe to Cullens.

Anyone try the new craft ciders in Aldi? Armagh Craft Cider it's called. Available in dry, medium and sweet! I tried the medium and it's not too bad.
    I've tried both medium + dry & as a typically non-cider drinker I enjoyed them very much.

My OH is a cider drinker (coeliac) & she usually drinks Aspell/Stonewell/Tempted & she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

tried medium too and though it was nice... again not a cider drinker. will try dry next but not the sweet. far superior to bulmers etc more akin to craft cider for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I'm just glad they brought back the 2 litre bottles of the pear stuff, I thought they had discontinued them so I was forced to have the cans instead which were both more expensive and not as nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Any definitive answer as to where this is brewed ?

I tried the medium too as well. I thought it was okay, but not as nice as Stonewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Barneyc

I tried the medium too as well. I thought it was okay, but not as nice as Stonewell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LDomlq6e8

Anyone tried sheepys cider uk not sure if the link works but this Stephen hayes knows a hell of a lot about cider

Advertisement