Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the new ross line and the Dungarven line are together, what's the total distance between them? I know the Dungarven part is just shy of 50km one way isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cabaal wrote: »
    If the new ross line and the Dungarven line are together, what's the total distance between them? I know the Dungarven part is just shy of 50km one way isn't it?

According to the Wexford Echo Waterford-New Ross is 22km, which would bring the whole lot to just shy of 70km (I think the Dungarvan-Waterford route is actually 44km, though I can't lay my hands on the exact figure at the minute so stand to be corrected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

JMcL wrote: »
    According to the Wexford Echo Waterford-New Ross is 22km, which would bring the whole lot to just shy of 70km (I think the Dungarvan-Waterford route is actually 44km, though I can't lay my hands on the exact figure at the minute so stand to be corrected)

Somewhere back in this thread I think 48k is mentioned. I'd be surprised if it was less.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

rayr wrote: »
    Looks good, will the entire route be Tarmac or stone chips? Tarmac would really increase usability for cyclists, runners, walkers and families.

Tarmac from end to end :) As you rightly said, it increases accessibility, usability and also allows it to be cleaned by machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

my3cents wrote: »
    Somewhere back in this thread I think 48k is mentioned. I'd be surprised if it was less.

Somewhere between 44k and 48km...the 48km comes from the old 30 miles. Seeing as it takes a different alignment from the road and stops at Bilberry, we mightn't know until it's all open! It's still an amazing distance for one stretch, it'll put Waterford into the big league of greenways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

great for getting cyclists (I'm one) off the road and onto this. nice 90km sprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Gardner wrote: »
    great for getting cyclists (I'm one) off the road and onto this. nice 90km sprint.

Whoa with your sprint,lots of walkers to contend with, no pelethon's on this boi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

is this walkway passable as it is right now from waterford to dungarvan. i want to do it by foot before it is complete? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can we persuade cyclists that this is a recreational cycle way, rather than a sprint/ speed trial? If cyclists are doing a reasonable speed they will be able to share the area with walkers without problems, but if they feel they have to maintain speed then it will not be a suitable area to take children to walk. Not to mention the fact that you can't have cyclists using the same path and going in opposite directions if they feel they are entitled to keep up a maximum speed.

Its a bit similar to the situation in swimming pools where people want to swim in lanes for speed and exercise, and children playing create problems. The solution there is to have designated times for each activity. So maybe there should be a significant speed limit for cyclists 15kph? on, say, weekends and afternoons. Parents with children can feel safe, but people wanting to use the facility for training can do so at other times, and walkers will be aware that they need to be alert.

looksee wrote: »
    Can we persuade cyclists that this is a recreational cycle way, rather than a sprint/ speed trial? If cyclists are doing a reasonable speed they will be able to share the area with walkers without problems, but if they feel they have to maintain speed then it will not be a suitable area to take children to walk. Not to mention the fact that you can't have cyclists using the same path and going in opposite directions if they feel they are entitled to keep up a maximum speed.

Its a bit similar to the situation in swimming pools where people want to swim in lanes for speed and exercise, and children playing create problems. The solution there is to have designated times for each activity. So maybe there should be a significant speed limit for cyclists 15kph? on, say, weekends and afternoons. Parents with children can feel safe, but people wanting to use the facility for training can do so at other times, and walkers will be aware that they need to be alert.

id like to think cyclists would use their heads and realise this is a public facility made for all but your probably right.

i do think designated lanes is a better idea for the swimming pools though. maybe a blanket speed limit for cyclists? probably be very hard to get people to agree times and days for limits etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id like to think cyclists would use their heads and realise this is a public facility made for all but your probably right.

i do think designated lanes is a better idea for the swimming pools though. maybe a blanket speed limit for cyclists? probably be very hard to get people to agree times and days for limits etc

Im in a cycle club in waterford and im pretty sure we will not be using the greenway as a route on spins. Its not for that. I would Be all for speed limits and a few gates or shicanes that would stop any speeders.

I dont think the existing cycle route in Dungarvan has any problem with speeding cyclists.

a few gates or chicanes that would stop any speeders.

some good ideas there

[QUOTE=Wanderer78;95252448]id like to think cyclists would use their heads and realise this is a public facility made for all but your probably right.

i do think designated lanes is a better idea for the swimming pools though. maybe a blanket speed limit for cyclists? probably be very hard to get people to agree times and days for limits etc[/QUOTE]

So would I, but every day I am dissuaded by brainless twat's on bikes

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So would I but every day I am dissuaded by brainless twat's on bikes

kinna sucks to be human at times doesnt it. most days i do feel like asking god to remove me from this planet. many 'brainless twats' around im afraid. reminds me of steve hughes views on health and safety. youtube steve hughes on health and safety. sorry cant post link. newbie and all that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sportif Lady

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So would I, but every day I am dissuaded by brainless twat's on bikes

Give us an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Give us an example.

The roads are full of them......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I dont think the existing cycle route in Dungarvan has any problem with speeding cyclists.

The main problem on that route is groups of people walking who take up the whole width of the path and give the smallest gap for a cyclist to get past them.

Give us an example.

Only one? the lovely people with no lights on main roads every single night of the week, the Unbelievably stupid woman with no helmet who decided to cycle between the kerb and me this morning while I was taking a left turn in a truck?
    Don't try defend the indefensible just because you think you are a good cyclist, there's loads of stupid people out there on bikes cars trains and planes, Cyclists are just more common with the good weather.

lertsnim wrote: »
    The main problem on that route is groups of people walking who take up the whole width of the path and give the smallest gap for a cyclist to get past them.

They can get off then and walk past with the bikes. There's no law against dismounting and in this case bikes are in the same position as cars are on the road.

And what about bikes on roads ffs groups of bikes take up the whole road and don't leave any room for cars to get past.

The boots on the other foot get over it and stop complaining.

They can get off then and walk past with the bikes. There's no law against dismounting and in this case bikes are in the same position as cars are on the road.

And what about bikes on roads ffs groups of bikes take up the whole road and don't leave any room for cars to get past.

The boots on the other foot get over it and stop complaining.

Wow. What a way to take a comment and blow it way out of proportion.

• Advertisement

Wow. What a way to take a comment and blow it way out of proportion.

So your not expecting walkers to get out of your way?

So your not expecting walkers to get out of your way?

The way you replied you'd think I was expecting them to clear the path completely and that is not what was meant at all. Courtesy from both cyclists and pedestrians is all that's needed. It's not just a footpath after all.

Why you started going on about bicycles and cars is anyone's guess.

Regarding bicycles on the old railway line, has anybody seen the clearing machines in action? Even with a new macadam surface on 2m of the line, the wind will be blowing thorns and splinters back onto it in no time and for years to come. I would imagine any bicycles using substantial amounts of the line will get plenty of practice at puncture repairs.

The way you replied you'd think I was expecting them to clear the path completely and that is not what was meant at all. Courtesy from both cyclists and pedestrians is all that's needed. It's not just a footpath after all.

Why you started going on about bicycles and cars is anyone's guess.

On the roads when I'm driving I give cyclists a very wide birth regularly stopping for them if there is on coming traffic with little room to pass so on a greenway as a walker I expect the same consideration from cyclists, I doubt I'll get it but I can always hope.

The roads are full of them......

impressive speeds though

impressive speeds though

Seriously impressive, imagine if s/he had a dedicated track where they weren't endangering themselves or others.

Seriously impressive, imagine if s/he had a dedicated track where they weren't endangering themselves or others.

what you talkin bout willis!

are you proposing the building of dedicated area for people to do this? sure thats mad talk!

sure thats mad talk!

...sure, tis Ted....

...sure, tis Ted....

step away from the screen. maybe make yourself a cup of tea or go for a wonder or something. hopefully it ll pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Regarding bicycles on the old railway line, has anybody seen the clearing machines in action? Even with a new macadam surface on 2m of the line, the wind will be blowing thorns and splinters back onto it in no time and for years to come. I would imagine any bicycles using substantial amounts of the line will get plenty of practice at puncture repairs.

Not me. I use these :Dhttp://tannus.co.uk/ No puncture tyres.

Advertisement