Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit where Credit is due

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Credit to this lad, genius. Probably good decision not to go to RTE and have excuses for comedy like Rep.Of Telly present or copy your stuff, badly.

Also, ideal Xmas present lads/ladies. (I have no financial interest in the book, site or anything like that, just want to see local lads do well, especially talented ones)

THE MAN BEHIND satirical news website Waterford Whispers News has revealed that he was approached by RTÉ, but turned down the national broadcaster because he wants to instead create his own ‘close to the bone’ video content.
    The website has gone from strength to strength over the past five years, filling a niche in Irish media.
    It made international headlines in January after duping media into believing that North Korea had reported landing an astronaut on the sun.
    “That was the big one, it just went bananas from there”, Colm Williamson told TheJournal.ie, “And I didn’t really think much of that story at that time.”
    The Tramore-based publication began five years ago on Facebook, and later expanded to a website.
    Now, Williamson is hoping to expand his team further, which currently consists of him and two others. There are also plans for video content and a radio venture is in the pipeline.
    Later this month the stories will appear in print for the first time with the release of Waterford Whispers News: The State of The Nation.
    “If you said to me four or five years ago I was going to be releasing a book, I would have said you were crazy,” Williamson said.
    The website has attracted attention from larger media organisations, and Williamson even found himself being approached by RTÉ.
    “They kinda approached me about [a video series], but I just don’t think it would suit TV,” Williamson said, and will instead perform better on social media.
    It’s quite dark, and I’m not sure if that would work. We’re planning our own videos, and they’re going to be very close to the bone.
    If you’ve a spare €15.99, Waterford Whispers News: The State of the Nation will be in bookshops from 21 November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Hi,

I had to get piece of glass fitted and went to O'Driscoll Glass in Ballybricken. Clifford was the person who looked after me. Now, it was a small job but he looked after it really well. He explained what could and what couldn't be done. We decided on option a together and it worked. Because it was a small job he could have paid less attention; but he made it look important. Super customer service and a very funny guy! To be recommended.

Thanks Clifford!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Credit to The Lock Doctor! A customer took my car keys in work (I couldn't be sure who at the time) a few weeks back so I needed to get a new spare key. Shopped around, couldn't get anybody to give me a spare key for less than €200. Rang The Lock Doctor and he created a spare key for €80 on the spot, same day, pretty quickly.

Funnily enough, the original keys were returned to me today and it no longer works since I got the spare key (this is by design). The Lock Doctor has agreed to look after me when I called him again today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Was in town today. Passed by Tara Barbers and Tara was outside. Had a big smile and a wave for me. Her and the two girls there are always so lovely and I always have a great laugh when I'm in there.

Was shopping in Evolution (formerly Jack and Jones) and I can't remember the girl's name in there but she's also always so friendly and helpful whenever I'm in there.

I think people like that don't always get the credit they deserve so fair play girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well done to the corpo (yes!) they have completely chopped back and are clearing out all the undergrowth and tangle of trees where the Tramore road path meets the Cherrymount path, they are also putting in a pavement that follows the well trodden unofficial path between Ashley Drive and Ashley Avenue which is dead handy for me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

fiachr_a wrote: »

Genuine question, what ever happened there in the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mickc10

Credit where credit is due, doing a bit of work on the house and must say the two Corcoran's running this place have been A1 to deal over the past few weeks. The work they do speaks for itself but they're a credit to their uncle who used to have the Salvage Shop in John's Park. Their place is now called Kielys Salvage Yard if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Credit to the Waterford Gaelic football team for getting ranked higher than London!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Credit to the Waterford Gaelic football team for getting ranked higher than London!

For a moment I thought you were actually posting a positive thread, at 53 you would imagine I would be all grown up by now, but then I realised it was just another snide juvenile snipe as is your norm.
    The new year resolution never stuck then?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Was in town today. Passed by Tara Barbers and Tara was outside. Had a big smile and a wave for me. Her and the two girls there are always so lovely and I always have a great laugh when I'm in there.

Was shopping in Evolution (formerly Jack and Jones) and I can't remember the girl's name in there but she's also always so friendly and helpful whenever I'm in there.

I think people like that don't always get the credit they deserve so fair play girls.

The girls love you NK....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The girls love you NK....

That is true wellboy, all ladies do love me!

all credit to the people of ballybeg and from other parts of the city (i heard on WLR this morning) who intend to and have started the process or funding and rebuild and fix what those complete scumbags tried to burn down. Massive turnout, fair play.

The New Waterford Council for litter picking the Portlaw road at Pouldrew this morning , Convoy system in place and 6 men picking like bats out of hell, I don't think this was ever done before, also at it on the airport road for the last week, Waterford will get the cleanest County in Ireland at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Credit the judge, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

for what lol

I bought some walking gear from Mc's outdoor gear on the Quay today, and was served by a young man called Eoghan , who really knew his stuff, didn't up sell and was a pleasure to deal with.
    It is really nice to deal with someone who is interested and knows what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Surely you mean Joan Burton ;)

• Advertisement

Fair play to Craig Breen winning a big rally recently (in the Munster express), not many Irish people performing on the international stage with success in various sports so the likes of himself, Niamh Briggs and others from Waterford doing really well deserve much applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fair play to Daytripper, who seem to have got a fairly decent lineup - hopefully they'll get a good turnout.

Also kudos to these guys: http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/63m-agrowing-red-hat-hatches-renewed-plan-for-waterford-31127720.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The litter pickers are doing a great job around the county, seem to see them everywhere, and you can see the difference in the look of the place.

credit to the young lads from Waterpark who beat Young Munster from Limerick to be Munster Champs...especially good considering rubgy isnt exactly a Waterford top sport. Hopefully a few more Ireland/Munster local lads in the future along with Jack o Donoghue from Woodstown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Credit to Hicham and his crew at Hicham's New Look Salon on Hanover Street.

I must say I have no affiliation to anyone associated with the aforementioned but I've been in a few times now and it's always great.

The haircut itself is top notch. Anything I've asked for has always been spot on and they take great time and attention. General haircut, eyebrow trim if you wish, cuthroat finish to shape the back and sides. All for €10 which has to be classed as a bargain for a cut these days. The barbers in there also seem to have an eye for whether you are in the mood for a chat or not which is an underrated quality IMO and there's always a nice atmosphere in the place too.

Has anyone else been in and how have you found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was at the lunchtime concert in the Medieval Museum on Sunday and got talking to an Australian guy who was on holiday with his wife in Ireland. He said that the city looked beautiful, and that the Athenaeum Hotel where they were staying was lovely. He also remarked on how blue the sky was (an Australian saying this imagine... I didn't tell him that he'd just got very lucky with the weather over the past few weeks!).

All that is of course very good, but what impressed me is that when they arrived in town with no room booked, all the hotels they tried were full, but each of them tried ringing at least one other place to see if they had a room free. Eventually they got booked into the Athenaeum. Kudos to the local hoteliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

fricatus wrote: »
    All that is of course very good, but what impressed me is that when they arrived in town with no room booked, all the hotels they tried were full, but each of them tried ringing at least one other place to see if they had a room free. Eventually they got booked into the Athenaeum. Kudos to the local hoteliers!

That's standard practice in the hotel industry (at least among hotels that run a professional operation...). Still, glad to hear that they got all that sorted out. Nothing more depressing than roaming the streets late at night trying to find a place to stay...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nothing more depressing than roaming the streets late at night trying to find a place to stay...
    can sometimes be a part of the fun though but nice to hear the comments from the couple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

fricatus wrote: »
    I was at the lunchtime concert in the Medieval Museum on Sunday and got talking to an Australian guy who was on holiday with his wife in Ireland. He said that the city looked beautiful, and that the Athenaeum Hotel where they were staying was lovely. He also remarked on how blue the sky was (an Australian saying this imagine... I didn't tell him that he'd just got very lucky with the weather over the past few weeks!).

That is excellent to hear. Nipped into Interlude in Dungarvan for some lunch on Sunday last. Fantastic service, value for money, and ever-so-friendly staff.

• Advertisement

The hurlers done us proud at weekend....include coaches and mgt in that.
    Ladies done well in hurling too.
    Thomas Barr named European athlete of the year after winning some race in the US.

Advertisement