Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weever Fish

• 22-04-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

I have started back surfing and am taking it a bit more serious, I usually wear booties because of weever fish. However I am getting up and turning when I don't wear booties. Opinions please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Opinion on what?

There evil little fish, you can be luck or unlucky? What more do you need to know?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Too early in the year for them yet I would think but I never wear booties in the summer. If there's a lot of them around the lifeguards will have a notice up otherwise I just take my chances. Not been stung yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Got stung last year for the first time while in Lahinch.

Worst pain since my kidney stones... but will probably not bother with booties this summer either.

They won't be around yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

How do you treat a sting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Get a bucket...... fill it up with water as hot as you can bare. Give it about an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Get a bucket...... fill it up with water as hot as you can bare. Give it about an hour.

Not easy when you are at an isolated beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

If you are really worried about the fish try 2mm reef shoes as opposed to full on booties or just don't surf at low tide

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

6541 wrote: »
    Not easy when you are at an isolated beach.

Try the French lifeguard trick, heat the steal of a cigarette lighter and put it directly to the sting. Defo only to be used in the most extreme situation's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

pauld81 wrote: »
    Try the French lifeguard trick, heat the steal of a cigarette lighter and put it directly to the sting. Defo only to be used in the most extreme situation's!!

Oh I like the sound of that! Iv been that solider. Nearly broke a mans door down trying to get to hot water after a bad reaction to a sting....

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

to avoid weaver fish try the following

1) paddle out to the back of the waves, especially at low tide.
    they can't sting you on your board

2) if you are walking out then drag your feet low along the sea bed, this will startle the fish away. you usually get stung by stepping on these fish.

3) bring a thermos of hot water to the beach in case you get stung, if you don't get stung then make tea with the water ;-)

stay safe

• Advertisement
Advertisement