Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Just passed the level crossing at Carroll's Cross, I see the vegetation has been cleared on the Dungarvan side , is it going through the disused quarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Looks like good progress is being made!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

STIG83 wrote: »
    Just passed the level crossing at Carroll's Cross, I see the vegetation has been cleared on the Dungarvan side , is it going through the disused quarry?

We havent heard otherwise!

Super progress all round, the line has effectively been cleared end to end. There'll be serious amounts of work going on over the next 12 months, on all sections of the 48km.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

Does anybody know when the Waterford stretch will open up? I can't wait to take the kids out down it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

AviationUK wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the Waterford stretch will open up? I can't wait to take the kids out down it!

Same here! As to when it's due to open, I stand to be corrected, but from talking in the past week to somebody directly involved on the council side, it's looking like autumn. The main issue is some structural works that need to be done which can't happen when the railway is operating. With the railway starting up on the 1st May, and running until September, my understanding is that they can't get all they need to do done this month. Come September 1st though, I believe the intention is to get in and get it done quickly as possible, weeks rather than months being the order of the day. It's a pity, I'd hoped to be able to get the kids out on it over the summer, but I still think it'll have been a great achievement to have it all brought to fruition in 9-10 months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

From what I hear Waterford to Kilmeaden will open in November.

It'll definitely be after the summer which is still an amazing achievement. It's a very tight space to work in safely and to their credit, the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway have sacrificed many weeks of their schedule to allow work to proceed.

It's very exciting to see the venture at this stage of construction and it only needs to be built once, then we'll all be able to enjoy it all year round, forevermore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I cant wait for this to open :) its great for Waterford. I was recently out in the Anne Valley walk in Dunhill and that is fantastic aswell. Its good to see all these outdoor walkways being created and maintained. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 rogshan

You can cycle from Kilmeaden to the tunnel under the N25. Its just that for some of it you are cycling on loose stones beside the railway track (e.g. beside Mount Congreve) or on a strip of grass beside the track. The ride is also very bumpy in parts. Also your not meant to cycle as it is a construction site but at weekends there are people walking.

rogshan wrote: »
    You can cycle from Kilmeaden to the tunnel under the N25. Its just that for some of it you are cycling on loose stones beside the railway track (e.g. beside Mount Congreve) or on a strip of grass beside the track. The ride is also very bumpy in parts. Also your not meant to cycle as it is a construction site but at weekends there are people walking.

I really would advise not going on it Monday-Friday when work is ongoing. Carraiganore is one of the main works access points and there's a steady stream of tipper trucks going in there a lot of the time. These more often than not end up reversing up the track to wherever they need to dump their load so meeting one coming backwards towards me in a tight space wouldn't be my idea of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 rogshan

JMcL wrote: »
    I really would advise not going on it Monday-Friday when work is ongoing. Carraiganore is one of the main works access points and there's a steady stream of tipper trucks going in there a lot of the time. These more often than not end up reversing up the track to wherever they need to dump their load so meeting one coming backwards towards me in a tight space wouldn't be my idea of fun.

Thats why I said you could cycle at weekends when there are no heavy machinery operating,

rogshan wrote: »
    Thats why I said you could cycle at weekends when there are no heavy machinery operating,

Just be careful that this is the case, machines have been working a few weekends! We dont want anyone injured out there and we dont want to provide reasons for a slower rate of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Any truth in the rumour that the waterford-new Ross line might be included in the deise greenway

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that the waterford-new Ross line might be included in the deise greenway

Haven't heard that but it would make a lot of sense to merge the two greenways into one, it would make it more marketable and the distance more attractive for long-distance tours. Coincidentally or otherwise, the expected date for completion of both greenways is mid 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

jimbo1979 wrote: »

Maybe a stupid question but how do you join them?

Wouldn't cost including on going maintenance be prohibitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was talking to a buddy of mine recently, he was saying people will walk their dogs on it and will left mess behind, I know alot will clean up but will get the lazy fuks who won't bother their arse to clean up.

Will the line be maintained and litter and other rubbish picked up?

my3cents wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but how do you join them?

The New Ross Waterford one will end beside the school in Ferrybank. We believe the long term idea is to run this along a new pedestrian river crossing, along the river's edge of The Quay and somehow cross the junction at The Bridge Hotel and on out to Bilberry.

In the short term, you could see something like running it along the North Quays as far as Rice Bridge, across that bridge and picking up the Waterford Dungarvan greenway at The Bridge Hotel.

The council are well aware that the greenway's massive success rests on getting the routes into the heart of the city.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Was talking to a buddy of mine recently, he was saying people will walk their dogs on it and will left mess behind, I know alot will clean up but will get the lazy fuks who won't bother their arse to clean up.

Will the line be maintained and litter and other rubbish picked up?

Yes, there will be maintenance. This is not just any walking path, this is a tourist product like the Viking Triangle and will need the same care and attention.

Major initiatives like this can only give the area a boost which will hopefully spin off and give people the pride to keep it clean.

...The Quay and somehow cross the junction at The Bridge Hotel and on out to Bilberry.

That's one thing that is puzzling me actually, are there any plans for access to the quays coming from bilberry? As it is you *have* to turn left and cross the bridge (without dismounting that is)

That's one thing that is puzzling me actually, are there any plans for access to the quays coming from bilberry? As it is you *have* to turn left and cross the bridge (without dismounting that is)

Good question and one we as a group dont know the answer to I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Good question and one we as a group dont know the answer to I'm afraid

Time for a public competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Not true, you can turn right before Geraghtys tyres left onto Mary Street and down O Connell street onto the Quays.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Not true, you can turn right before Geraghtys tyres left onto Mary Street and down O Connell street onto the Quays.

This is true, but let's think of the the typical user groups the greenway is aimed at - i.e. leisure cyclists, tourists, and families with youngish kids. They come off a lovely piece of safe segregated infrastructure then have to take a detour which makes them have to turn left then right on a busy thoroughfare (Bridge St) which invariably has fast moving traffic on both directions trying to beat the lights, and then they have to cross 4 lanes to turn right on the quays. Sorry, I don't see that as a feasible solution.

Methinks the junction needs rethought somewhat as IMHO the only feasible and safe solution is to give bikes a means of going straight onto the quays - it doesn't need to, and indeed shouldn't, extend to cars as that would only serve to create yet another rat run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This is true, but let's think of the the typical user groups the greenway is aimed at - i.e. leisure cyclists, tourists, and families with youngish kids. They come off a lovely piece of safe segregated infrastructure then have to take a detour which makes them have to turn left then right on a busy thoroughfare (Bridge St) which invariably has fast moving traffic on both directions trying to beat the lights, and then they have to cross 4 lanes to turn right on the quays. Sorry, I don't see that as a feasible solution.

Methinks the junction needs rethought somewhat as IMHO the only feasible and safe solution is to give bikes a means of going straight onto the quays - it doesn't need to, and indeed shouldn't, extend to cars as that would only serve to create yet another rat run.

So you have decided its primarily for cyclists?

Totally impracticable , we have enough problems keeping the Quay traffic flowing without madcap ideas like this.
    There are other more practical solutions and there is also the fact that the walkway cycle way can finish at Grattan Quay, they all have to finish/ start somewhere?

my3cents wrote: »
    So you have decided its primarily for cyclists?

Have I decided what is primarily for cyclists? The Greenway, yes certainly, along with walkers though I'd imagine most walkers will park and walk the nicer parts of it. Who would you see it as being for?
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    Totally impracticable , we have enough problems keeping the Quay traffic flowing without madcap ideas like this.

Why exactly is providing access to the city to somebody not in a tin box madcap, should we do away with all the pedestrian crossings along the quays as well while we're at it? Why do you think the roundabouts have been put on the quays and the lanes restricted? Council policy, like it or not, is to move traffic out of the city center and make it a friendlier environment for all. It of course doesn't help that the bridge is tolled, but that's another story
    There are other more practical solutions and there is also the fact that the walkway cycle way can finish at Grattan Quay, they all have to finish/ start somewhere?

Strictly speaking this is part of EuroVelo 1, so yes you're right - it starts at Norkap in Norway, and ends at Sagres in Portugal :-)

Have I decided what is primarily for cyclists? The Greenway, yes certainly, along with walkers though I'd imagine most walkers will park and walk the nicer parts of it. Who would you see it as being for?

Why exactly is providing access to the city to somebody not in a tin box madcap, should we do away with all the pedestrian crossings along the quays as well while we're at it? Why do you think the roundabouts have been put on the quays and the lanes restricted? Council policy, like it or not, is to move traffic out of the city center and make it a friendlier environment for all. It of course doesn't help that the bridge is tolled, but that's another story

Strictly speaking this is part of EuroVelo 1, so yes you're right - it starts at Norkap in Norway, and ends at Sagres in Portugal :-)

I am an avid walker and sometime cyclist, but practicalities should not be ignored, and if the plan to meld this with the New Ross line comes to fruition , crossing the bridge is going to be the direction of flow of this cycleway /walkway.

There are a few more phases to finish between now and then!

Here are two photos to show progress and the quality of the finishing...some parts are almost ready for tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

Here are two photos to show progress and the quality of the finishing...some parts are almost ready for tarmac

Looks good, will the entire route be Tarmac or stone chips? Tarmac would really increase usability for cyclists, runners, walkers and families.

• Advertisement

Looks great. This is up by Mount Congreve I assume?

Advertisement