Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 AFL Season Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Loopylaa wrote: »
    Is the latest not that's he is staying at punt road now?
    Seems nobody wants to go west

It could depend on how Richmond go this year. Fail to make finals and Dimma will be gone, could see a bit of a rebuild then.

So predictions for the season ahead. I've been mega busy lately so didn't see a whole lot of the NAB but this is what I reckon for what it's worth:

Premiers: Sydney

Top 8: Hawthorn, Port, Sydney, North, Freo, Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS

Wooden Spoon: St Kilda

Biggest Surprise: As above, GWS to make a big jump and play finals. I love the recruitment of Patfull who is probably the most underrated player in the AFL. He should solidify their defence and their young mids and forwards are all ready to jump into the elite.

Biggest Disappointment: Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon (due more to off field distractions again) all fail to make the 8.

Your Club: Collingwood - At best sneak into the 8, at worst we're a Pendles or Cloke injury away from being bottom 4 contenders. Buckley possibly gone at year's end.

Brownlow: Fyfe

Coleman: Buddy

Rising Star: Cripps - I think I picked him last year and he didn't play enough games. Could have a Bont-like year this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

SSK wrote: »
    GWS to make a big jump and play finals. I love the recruitment of Patfull who is probably the most underrated player in the AFL. He should solidify their defence and their young mids and forwards are all ready to jump into the elite.

I still don't think they will make finals. They are still too young, and don't have the older hardened bodies that Gold Coast have. Very exciting young talent, but I can't see them solidifying just yet. I would replace them with Richmond, or even Brisbane, in your top 8.

Mackman wrote: »
    I still don't think they will make finals. They are still too young, and don't have the older hardened bodies that Gold Coast have. Very exciting young talent, but I can't see them solidifying just yet. I would replace them with Richmond, or even Brisbane, in your top 8.

Davis, Patfull, Shaw, Mumford, Scully, Griffen, Ward, Palmer is a better mature core than the Suns had last year IMO (obviously Ablett aside). And I think they're better coached than the Suns were last year who would have made it Ablett hadn't gotten injured. If they can stay relatively fit and assuming the expected level of development from the youngsters then they can definitely push into finals contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Loopylaa

Davis, Patfull, Shaw, Mumford, Scully, Griffen, Ward, Palmer is a better mature core than the Suns had last year IMO (obviously Ablett aside). And I think they're better coached than the Suns were last year who would have made it Ablett hadn't gotten injured. If they can stay relatively fit and assuming the expected level of development from the youngsters then they can definitely push into finals contention.

Think GWS will be the surprise improvers and will make the 8, just not until next year.

Premiers Hawks to make it 3 in a row
    Runner up Port
    Top 4 Sydney and Gold Coast
    5th freo
    6th norf
    7th geelong
    8th could be anyone but I'll go for Adelaide
    Wooden spoon saints just ahead of Melbourne

Pies to finish below blues 😉
    Brownlow selwood & fyfe joint
    Coleman roughie
    Rising star ill settle for crippsy

• Advertisement

I just don't see it, there are definitely 8 teams that will finish higher than them this year. They will win more games no doubt, but I think as Loopylaa said, next year.

Premiers: Hawks 3-peat. Not much has changed since last year, still the best team going.

Top 8: Hawthorn, Sydney, Port, North, Freo, Gold Coast, Geelong, Brisbane

Wooden Spoon: St. Kilda

Coleman: Roughead

Biggest Surprise: Brisbane making the 8. They had signs last year, but injuries to key players really hurt them. Add in some top players, a midfield of Rockliff, Beams, Rich, Reddan, Christenden, and Martin rucking is looking pretty ominous.

Biggest disappointment: Freo not winning the flag :( I have a feeling that we just can't get over the top with this team and game plan. Something missing.

Your club: Fremantle - Injuries permitting, and with a bit of luck we can make top 4 again. Make it to a prelim final. I think that is as far as we can go this year

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

I think they will be thereabouts for the eight but 1 more year maybe. Interested to see how young Aidan Corr does. Born in Tyrone, came to Australia when young.

Anyways, my tips as below, which will stir things up, no doubt.

Premiers: Port Adelaide. They are going to be much stronger this season. Ryder a key man. Depth in the squad is good. I think this could be their year.

Runner Up: Sydney

Top 4: Port, Sydney, Hawthorne, Fremantle

Top 8: North, Geelong, Adelaide, Richmond

Wooden Spoon: St. Kilda

Coleman medallist: Roughead

Big bias tips: The crows to suprise this year!

Lachlan Keefe and Josh thomas tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-30/keeffe-thomas-test-positive

More bad news for the AFL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

Lachlan Keefe and Josh thomas tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-30/keeffe-thomas-test-positive

More bad news for the AFL

But every Bomber was cleared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

huddler wrote: »
    Agree with others, Hawthorn are on for 3 in a row. In organisation and discipline, they are streets ahead of everyone else. There are a few teams who, at their best, can beat Hawthorn in a one-off in September - but as much as it pains me to say it, they are my confident tip at this early stage.

No injuries over pre-season, lost no-one who would be best 22 this year (perhaps Hallahan, but O'Rourke, Anderson, Woodward etc fill that small gap anyway). In fact, I think they have improvement in them, and have bolstered their stocks to cover positions for next year and beyond. Depressing.

Sydney have lost Malceski, but will be among the big hunters. Port will feel they missed a flag last year, and have added senior quality in Ryder. Freo possibly have another shot in them. North are possibly in the mix too, at a stretch. If Geelong can get Clarke and Hawkins playing their best together - they might be a smokey too.

After that it's daylight til the next batch in my opinion.

My own side Carlton won't trouble anyone. I have 10th as par for us this year. Finals would be a success. I just hope we get games into young players and a few start to break out.

Hawthorn
    Sydney
    Port
    North
    Freo
    Geelong
    Adelaide
    Richmond
    Gold Coast
    Carlton
    Brisbane
    Collingwood
    Melbourne
    West Coast
    GWS
    St Kilda
    Doggies
    Essendon

Premiers: Hawthorn
    Runner up: Port
    Spoon: Essendon (chuckle)
    Brownlow: Scott Pendlebury
    Rising Star: Angus Brayshaw
    Coleman: Taylor Walker

I see the young Irish guy, Ciaran Byrne has been drafted into the Carlton senior squad and might even get a start tomorrow night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Yes, *really* hard to see Carlton losing a game this year... :cool: :P
    Same old, same old, it looks like. And the Tigers weren't great either, by accounts. Still early days I suppose...

Anywhoo;
    Premiers: Hawks,
    Runners-up: Freo,
    Brownlow: Fyfe.

Top 4: Hawks, Freo, Port, Sydney,
    Then: North, Brisbane, Geelong, Suns.
    Outside: Tigers :D, Crows, Bombers, Carlton, Pies, Weagles, Giants, Doggies, Melbourne & St. Kilda.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

How can an individual find the most accurate start times from a GMT point of view?

The sources and time zones are an absolute mess anywhere I look.

How can an individual find the most accurate start times from a GMT point of view?

The sources and time zones are an absolute mess anywhere I look.

It's not that hard to work out just 9 hours ahead for games in Victoria and NSW. If you can't be bothered working it out then the afl app changes the start times to local times automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Argghh! Tiges bloody butchered that game. Lots of possession but wasted so much ball and shots from I50.

On plus side Rance was absolutely immense, we need to resign if asap or we are rooted down back. Dusty was back to his best as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Argghh! Tiges bloody butchered that game. Lots of possession but wasted so much ball and shots from I50.

On plus side Rance was absolutely immense, we need to resign if asap or we are rooted down back. Dusty was back to his best as well.

Could be worse, Jack. You could barrack for Carlton. We're bottom 2.

This won't help, but I had a decent bit of cash on the Dogs so I'm delighted. Bookies had them at $3.60, which was crazy. Rolled all my winnings into Adelaide to beat Collingwood at $1.48. If that comes up I've just doubled my wages for the week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Carlton were absolutely horrific yesterday. I thought the Eagles would be in bother, but once Matt Rosa shut Judd down, there was absolutely nothing from Carlton. Gibbs was totally anonymous, and Murphy only showed in patches around his half back flank. Casbolt has one of the worst set shots I've ever seen, brutal. No use claiming big high marks, and then missing the whole scoring zone when shooting. Tuohy was ok, hard done by on 2 throws given against him.

The Eagles did very well though considering their back line woes. It was never really troubled, but still, Schofield and McGovern looked in control all game. The midfield press was excellent, they really pressed up hard and countered Malthouses really old and predictable tactic of running off the mark and sheparding the opponent away. Same old crap he was doing with Collingwood for years, and even the Eagles before that. So easy to counteract when it is so obvious.

Josh Kennedy was easily the star of the show though, but in saying that, it was made so easy for him. the Eagles totally cleared out the inside 50, and he had all day to find a running lane to get to the ball ahead of his opponent. How Carlton kept playing right into their hands I dont know, abysmal tactics and counteraction, pretty much let Kennedy do what he liked.

It was a nice convincing win for the Eagles, but tells absolutely nothing and they will have far, far sterner tests than the pathetic effort Carlton threw up.

bruschi wrote: »
    Carlton were absolutely horrific yesterday. I thought the Eagles would be in bother, but once Matt Rosa shut Judd down, there was absolutely nothing from Carlton. Gibbs was totally anonymous, and Murphy only showed in patches around his half back flank. Casbolt has one of the worst set shots I've ever seen, brutal. No use claiming big high marks, and then missing the whole scoring zone when shooting. Tuohy was ok, hard done by on 2 throws given against him.

The Eagles did very well though considering their back line woes. It was never really troubled, but still, Schofield and McGovern looked in control all game. The midfield press was excellent, they really pressed up hard and countered Malthouses really old and predictable tactic of running off the mark and sheparding the opponent away. Same old crap he was doing with Collingwood for years, and even the Eagles before that. So easy to counteract when it is so obvious.

Josh Kennedy was easily the star of the show though, but in saying that, it was made so easy for him. the Eagles totally cleared out the inside 50, and he had all day to find a running lane to get to the ball ahead of his opponent. How Carlton kept playing right into their hands I dont know, abysmal tactics and counteraction, pretty much let Kennedy do what he liked.

It was a nice convincing win for the Eagles, but tells absolutely nothing and they will have far, far sterner tests than the pathetic effort Carlton threw up.

Is going to be a long season for us blues fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Good synopsis!

Carlton, Pies, GC & Brisbane look sh1thouse in 2 rounds so far. At least Collingwood can claim to be in a "transition" period and think Brisbane will lift and improve but Carlton look like they just don't have players, particularly forward to finish in top half this year.
    GC's effort has been pathetic. For a team that's supposedly moving into their premiership window they look awful. Ablett is not right and given he has had 9+ months to rehab it;s hard to see his shoulder improving given attention he is getting from opposition every week. Think GWS are moving ahead of GC now in terms of premier contention. If they can keep all their players for nest 2-3 years it's hard not to see them winning a flag.
    Still not convinced AFL has a big future in GC or Western Sydney but chances of giving a team to a place that deserves it, like Tassie, is probably slim given financial side.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    GC's effort has been pathetic. For a team that's supposedly moving into their premiership window they look awful.

Its amazing how far backwards they have gone. I really thought they could be fighting for a top 8 spot this year. Still only round 2 obviously.

Jeez how good were Freo? :D Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Hill carved Geelong up into tiny pieces. Magnificent to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Parawind

Bombers were fantastic against Hawthorn. Great response to last week's cruel loss to Sydney.

They really look like top 4 contenders this year especially when the players get up to full fitness.

• Advertisement

Its amazing how far backwards they have gone. I really thought they could be fighting for a top 8 spot this year. Still only round 2 obviously.

Jeez how good were Freo? :D Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Hill carved Geelong up into tiny pieces. Magnificent to watch

And how about GWS's incredible second half? Finals bound, I'm telling you :D

Hard to read too much into 2 rounds of football but Sydney for me have been the standout side. Buddy and Tippett laying 16 tackles between them tells me they're very much up for it this year.

Hardwick and Malthouse will be doing well to last the year, just don't see where the improvement is going to come from either side.

And how about GWS's incredible second half? Finals bound, I'm telling you :D

They need to play more than a half of football against better sides than Melbourne ;)
    Hardwick and Malthouse will be doing well to last the year, just don't see where the improvement is going to come from either side.

Is it Malthouse's fault or is it the fact that they just don't have the talent? Either way I reckon he'll be gone. Kennedy should not have gotten that much space in the F50 for most of the game. Terrible coaching.

Richmond will probably win the last 8 games of the year again and Hardwick will look like he's getting somewhere, again

They need to play more than a half of football against better sides than Melbourne ;)

Yeah but what a half :cool:
    Is it Malthouse's fault or is it the fact that they just don't have the talent? Either way I reckon he'll be gone. Kennedy should not have gotten that much space in the F50 for most of the game. Terrible coaching.

Richmond will probably win the last 8 games of the year again and Hardwick will look like he's getting somewhere, again

Carlton have a poor list, no denying that but some players seem to be playing well below their capabilities, which is on the coach.

While I'm not a huge fan of Buckley as a coach, we at least look like we're trying out there. Every Collingwood player bust a gut against Adelaide but we were outclassed in the end up. The same can't be said for Carlton, or indeed Richmond.

Yeah but what a half :cool:

Certainly was impressive :)

Carlton have a poor list, no denying that but some players seem to be playing well below their capabilities, which is on the coach.

While I'm not a huge fan of Buckley as a coach, we at least look like we're trying out there. Every Collingwood player bust a gut against Adelaide but we were outclassed in the end up. The same can't be said for Carlton, or indeed Richmond.

Or Gold Coast. I agree about Collingwood, at least they looked like they cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 huddler

I backed Malthouse to the hilt, but even I'm starting to waver. Brett Ratten was torched by the players, who just failed to turn up for him consistently. Guys like Betts, Garlett and Waite were major offenders, so im taking all the abuse about letting them go with a pinch of salt. However, it looks like the players just aren't showing up for Mick either. He's never won a game at Carlton earlier than Rd 4. It's been almost impossible to enjoy a season since he's arrived because you're 0 and 3, and playing catch up with shot confidence. I don't necessarily blame Mick. I blame other things ahead of him at least....not least the culture of the onfield leadership. I think (Simpson, Judd excepted) we're soft, casual, and lack a genuine hunger to win consistently. We also lack mongrel, dig, a bit of anger, whatever you want to call it. Guys like Murphy, Gibbs, Jamison, Henderson, Yarran....and latterly Menzel - seem shy of leading. Real leading. Leading with guts, and boiling blood. Why is that? Possibly, it's because they have come through a club without similar leaders. Judd was a transplant, but regardless he's more a leader by example and professionalism, than an inspirer who makes others want to go to battle with him. He almost seems a reluctant leader himself. I don't think any team can succeed without serious onfield leaders in a brutal competition like AFL. Culture, recruiting, it all plays a part too, but it's been my feeling for a while that our most-talented players unfortunately don't carry the type of winners mentality that is an absolute imperative when it comes to winning, and to making teammates walk taller. Not an easy thing to fix, and Malthouse may be about to fall to it, like Ratten did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Port get their first win. Some big hits in the game. Completely humiliated last week by Swans. Can take heart from today's win as lost this game last year. Bloody Hawks next week though now

Carlton look horrific with 3 games gone in. I've seen 2 of their games now

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Port get their first win. Some big hits in the game. Completely humiliated last week by Swans. Can take heart from today's win as lost this game last year. Bloody Hawks next week though now

Carlton look horrific with 3 games gone in. I've seen 2 of their games now

great win for Port. Was an excellent game. Caught some of the Carlton one, and whilst they made a bit of effort in the 4th, it never looked like they would actually win it. Sydeny and GWS was a usual game where the better team was just doing enough to win. But the Port/Roos game was really good. Great intensity and really back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

great win for Port. Was an excellent game. Caught some of the Carlton one, and whilst they made a bit of effort in the 4th, it never looked like they would actually win it. Sydeny and GWS was a usual game where the better team was just doing enough to win. But the Port/Roos game was really good. Great intensity and really back and forth.

Yeah really enjoyable game. A must win for Power though.Ryder will be a big player this year for Port. Thought he won the battle against his counterpart (Goldstein?) in the ruck.

utterly shambolic display from the Eagles. That cringing "the West is ours" motto is really embarrassing when you have results like that. 30 points was more than flattering.

• Advertisement

utterly shambolic display from the Eagles. That cringing "the West is ours" motto is really embarrassing when you have results like that. 30 points was more than flattering.

I was expecting a much closer game. Derbies are usually 50/50 IMO. The eagles looked like they had made their mind up that the Dockers would win before the game even started.

From a Dockers point of view, first quarter was insane. Awesome stuff. Lachie Neale is going to be a superstar.

A bit disappointing that they took the foot of the pedal so much, easing up is one thing, but it looked like they left the stadium after half time.

Advertisement