Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Band

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭jos22

MJohnston wrote: »
    Out today in the UK - which means if you can get to a Currys/PCWorld somewhere, you can pick one up - they have a stock checker on their website.

As a follow-up to my usage of the Band, I've had to replace mine once, and it's a problem that seems to be fairly common, which is the following - you wear the Band for a long time, sweat a little maybe, but either way small amounts of salt gets deposited on the charging connector (which is surrounded by metal). Then you go to connect the charger, and everytime this happens, it reacts with the minerals, and causes a tiny amount of corrosion on the metal surround of the charging connector. Eventually, over about 4-5 months, this builds up to the point where the charger cannot connect anymore and won't work. Really frustrating. There are two bright spots though - the first is that I've found Microsoft's support to be absolutely top notch in these cases, and they will instantly replace the Band (I happened to be in the US and was able to walk into a store and do it, but online works just as well) under the basic purchase warranty (I have the extended one for accidental breakage, but haven't needed it yet!). Now that they're on sale in the UK, this should be much easier to take care of. The second is that you can stop the problem happening by just making sure to wipe off the charging connector on the Band fully, and then dry it fully, before connecting to charge. This isn't too much of a big deal, and I don't know whether it fully prevents the problem, but it certainly will reduce how quickly it'll happen. This should be something that MS are aware of, and hopefully they'll address it in a V2. Also, you can buy one of these "body skin" packs from Amazon which look like they cover up the metal part I'm talking about, and may help prevent the problem - however I don't know whether this would block the galvanic skin sensor from working.

that protector is UK address only, see any that ships here ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ordered one from the Microsoft store, should have it in a few days.

Tried it on in Currys first though, will take some getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I had pre-ordered 2 of them from from Amazon, paid for express delivery and I'm still waiting and wont be getting them today. Amazon is becoming less and less a place I will shop these days.

I was wondering the same as jos22 anyone know where to get a protector that will ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

eBay seems to have them shipping from the US. The other option would be using Parcel Motel http://www.parcelmotel.com/ who will give you a Northern Ireland address, and then deliver to a locker somewhere nearby in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Has anyone seen one of these in the wild in a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland?

I've got a Lumia 1020 on O2's network, so, haven't received the 8.1 update 1 yet.
    As such, assuming the app isn't available yet, is it even an option for me to purchase one of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭g0g

Player 2 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen one of these in the wild in a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland?

I've got a Lumia 1020 on O2's network, so, haven't received the 8.1 update 1 yet.
    As such, assuming the app isn't available yet, is it even an option for me to purchase one of these?
    Not released in Ireland yet, only USA and UK. I asked in a chat window on MS site and they reckoned Ireland possibly only a couple of months after the UK.

They're not in physical stores in Ireland yet. Your best bet to see one in person would be a quick trip up to Sprucefield's PCWorld where they have them in stock. For buying, Amazon UK will deliver them to Irish addresses for free.

As for the Health app, I believe you will need 8.1 Update 1 for it to work. You could go the Developer Preview route. However, I don't really know why O2 haven't released Denim for it yet, because Three have, and they can't be too different anymore.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    +1

I think its Amazon purposefully trying to force people to pay for Amazon Prime. The last three orders from Amazon just sat on processing order and as soon as I sent them an email about it the orders magically changed to ship.

Off topic I know but after I contacted them about it they moved the Delivery date out... after I had paid for the 1-2 day they were failing to deliver on and they then went and changed to standard delivery with UPS rather which pushed the date out even more. Honestly some of the worst CS agents I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyway, back to the band....... :)

MJohnston thanks a million for the continued updates. Great to get detailed first-hand experience. I picked up a Xiaomi Band recently to keep me happy for the moment but have been disappointed as the WP beta only captures steps (I thought it did sleep and other things!). The one thing I've noticed with the band I have is that quite a few times I've forgotten about it while bathing the baby or about to hop into shower. Have you forgotten any/many times and dunked the thing?

It's also a bit worrying to be hearing of problems with the materials that people are seeing after a few months with talk of worn bands (straps) and also now the battery contacts.

Anyone else got any experience to share?

I have splashed it when washing dishes, and gotten it wet in the rain, but never forgotten to take it off for a shower (probably because I've made it my routine to put it on the charger when I'm showering). I have no idea what would happen to it in that eventuality though, there's a hole in the device for the microphone, but it looks fairly sealed otherwise.

YMMV but I haven't had any issues with worn straps, and the charging contact corrosion is probably going to vary person-to-person based on your sweat composition! I do think that the precautions I mentioned above will help prevent it becoming a problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

g0g wrote: »

It's also a bit worrying to be hearing of problems with the materials that people are seeing after a few months with talk of worn bands (straps) and also now the battery contacts.

Anyone else got any experience to share?

Its like anything, it depends how you look after it. They are do take a fair bit of abuse, I haven't had any issues apart from some scratches. I put an invisibleshield on the glass and works well for me.

If you want one I wouldn't let the issues stop you

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

My Microsoft Band is currently with Parcel Motel, should be dropped off at my local locker tomorrow.

I had ordered it from Amazon, it was delivered today (Thursday) even though Amazon had an expected delivery date of Monday.

Looking forward to picking it up.

I am using the Lumia 1020 and have the Health app downloaded and all ready to go! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Got mine from the microsoft website today, currently training myself to wear it.

It's definitely going to take some getting used to.

Mine arrived...

Reading messages from it is perfect. Be nice if it did not read the sigs from emails though.

The keyboard is surprisingly usable. But I have seen it just sitting there with the "Connecting" message. Reboot phone seems to have fixed that.

As far as comfort... nothing wrong with it in normal wear so far but at the desk and typing... its gonna take a while me thinks.

As for charging... it doesnt seem to want to move past 80% on mine or maybe I am just being impatient

CatInABox wrote: »
    Got mine from the microsoft website today, currently training myself to wear it.

It's definitely going to take some getting used to.

Ah, two nights with it now and it's grand to wear actually.

Ah, two nights with it now and it's grand to wear actually.

Perfectly comfortable now. Apart from when typing but not like I'm moving about so I don't mind it just sitting on the desk for that time.

I am seriously impressed with the keyboard, it does a great job. You wont write an essay on it but for short enough replies it works a treat.

One thing I wonder about though is the email notifications. My work account and hotmail account all notify the band, gmail doesnt... any idea's?

kayos wrote: »
    Perfectly comfortable now. Apart from when typing but not like I'm moving about so I don't mind it just sitting on the desk for that time.

I am seriously impressed with the keyboard, it does a great job. You wont write an essay on it but for short enough replies it works a treat.

One thing I wonder about though is the email notifications. My work account and hotmail account all notify the band, gmail doesnt... any idea's?

Strange, my Outlook and Gmail accounts notify me correctly. My gmail isn't even set up to notify me on my phone actually, as they're all forwarded to my outlook anyway, took me a while to figure out when I was getting two notifications for some emails.

From what I've seen online, it's your phones notification centre that controls what appears, so check the settings there maybe?

Do you get notifications on your phone for that gmail account? Is it linked with the same inbox as the others?

arrived today :), takes abit of getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

Mine arrived...

As for charging... it doesnt seem to want to move past 80% on mine or maybe I am just being impatient

I think there are 2 batteries, one is quick charging and should get the band to 80% in about half an hour, the other adds the 20% but can take a few hours

• Advertisement

I think there are 2 batteries, one is quick charging and should get the band to 80% in about half an hour, the other adds the 20% but can take a few hours

This would explain so much, I've wondered often how it charges in such as fashion and yet still manages to drain relatively linearly. But yeah, 0-80% is way faster of a charge than 80-100%

New updates coming tomorrow(-ish, you know how it is):

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band-receives-more-tracking-features?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter
    "We are thrilled to expand cycling functionality through partnerships with popular Bike apps, MapMyRide and Strava. Starting on April 23, Microsoft Band customers will be able to wear their device during rides and compare performance or share routes with other riders using these apps."

"Comparative Insights: Measures data such as daily steps, sleep, workout frequency and calorie burn and compares it to similar Microsoft Health customers based on body type (height and weight). Customers looking for motivation can use comparative insights as a benchmark to understand their health relative to similar people."
    "Sleep Recovery: Good sleep is the foundation of health, and something everybody does and needs. Microsoft Band tracks the length and quality of sleep. Use the Microsoft Health web dashboard to analyze sleep restoration, sleep efficiency, and wake-ups, to find out how well the body restores its resources during sleep."
    "Fitness Benefit: Track fitness progress using historical data to measure improvement over time."
    "VO2 Max: VO2 max refers to the maximum volume of oxygen used during exercise, and is the primary indicator of cardiovascular fitness. Traditionally, measuring VO2 Max is cumbersome. Not anymore. Microsoft Band estimates VO2 max based on heart rate information. Now customers can track how their VO2 max increases as they improve fitness level and achieve their wellness goals, simply.".
    "Run/Exercise Observations: Get more out of run and workout data with in-depth observations and insights. With a week of data, customers can determine which day of the week and at what time of day they perform best. Using historical data from as far back as five weeks, customers can track whether they're maintaining, progressing, or need to re-dedicate themselves. Analyze detailed stats to find specific aspects of runs and workouts that can be improved."

That last feature sounds really fantastic, although I suppose I'll need to do exercise more times a week to find my optimal spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I'd love to try out the Band, but (aside from not physically owning one yet!) I haven't got the Microsoft health app, or, the Denim update.

Other than going down the route of opting into the developer programme, if there an easier (and reversible!) way to get it?
    For example, if my change my phone's region to the UK, and then change it back to Ireland again, will that work?

I'd love to try out the Band, but (aside from not physically owning one yet!) I haven't got the Microsoft health app, or, the Denim update.

Other than going down the route of opting into the developer programme, if there an easier (and reversible!) way to get it?
    For example, if my change my phone's region to the UK, and then change it back to Ireland again, will that work?

Nope, you'll get Denim based on the original "carrier" that you bought the phone through, even if it was bought unlocked or SIM free (this would come under the Country Variant), or was subsequently unlocked. You can see which phones in which countries are at which firmware version via this page: http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

I would say that the Developer Preview program is extremely low-effort and low-risk - it won't invalidate any warranty, it's free, and you don't have to do anything other than take 2 minutes to register a developer account. The updates you get through it are far better quality than beta too, they're usually release-ready. This is distinct from the Insider program which offers alpha and beta quality preview versions of Windows 10.

Ok in our house we have two lumia 925's.

Mine is in the dev preview program. Its on Cyan, I was in the states and my phone auto updated one night and I think it mucked me up in terms of getting denim here. My band works perfectly well with it though.

My OH's is not in dev preview. Was well behind mine in terms of updates. Hooked up her band, was missing some features. But next thing she gets the Denim update.

Speaking of my OH, generally someone who thinks tech is getting too invasive. She loves the Band though and likely plays with it more than I do :)

Ok in our house we have two lumia 925's.

Mine is in the dev preview program. Its on Cyan, I was in the states and my phone auto updated one night and I think it mucked me up in terms of getting denim here. My band works perfectly well with it though.

My OH's is not in dev preview. Was well behind mine in terms of updates. Hooked up her band, was missing some features. But next thing she gets the Denim update.

Speaking of my OH, generally someone who thinks tech is getting too invasive. She loves the Band though and likely plays with it more than I do :)

The developer preview can stop you getting denim. Leave it and check for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

The developer preview can stop you getting denim. Leave it and check for updates.

yep, that's what I had to do. Didn't see much difference though!

do ye wear the band on the recommended inside wrist or as a "normal" watch - I don't think I'd be able to wear it on inside wrist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was on the dev and cyan. Reset the phone to O2 factory and only then did I get denim. That said I was getting all the updates on the dev, just didn't say denim but I had the same updates.

beauf wrote: »
    I was on the dev and cyan. Reset the phone to O2 factory and only then did I get denim. That said I was getting all the updates on the dev, just didn't say denim but I had the same updates.

Actually Denim also includes some additional hardware improvements that didn't exist in the Dev Preview software - such as the camera speed improvements.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

for the most part if you have PFD with latest update denim did nothing for most people, only really added some features to the pure view camera

Advertisement