Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kevlar jeans?

Options
  • 12-04-2015 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Kevlar jeans - who stocks 'em? Which ones are good?
    I was looking at the RST ones online, the Richa ones look normal enough too. Or the Hood ones which are a bit more expensive, either part lined like the Richa/RST ones or the more fully lined Hood version that are like a pair of kevlar cargo shorts sewn inside a pair of jeans.
    I need to be able to sit around in them all day a couple of days a week without boiling though now the weather's getting warmer, and just for ambling into town to the shops or whatever. I'm getting a bit fecked off with my bulky textile trousers but I won't ride in normal jeans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have Draggin jeans. I think they were around €200 when I bought them. They came with just the extra panels stitched into the common impact areas so I bought knee protectors and hip protectors separately, I think they were around €50 altogether. I don't find them too warm, even though they have the extra lining they are still quite breathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think I paid about €100 for the Oxford ones and was impressed enough with them for the money. I'd had the Richa ones before too and felt similarly.

I've never had draggin ones but the one thing I'll say is that the pockets for the knee protectors seem to never be in the right place and being as bulky as they are they seem to pull the leg of the trousers all over the place when sitting on the bike. However I am quite tall. If you do go and try some on, make sure you get the opportunity to sit on a bike like your own wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think I paid about €100 for the Oxford ones and was impressed enough with them for the money. I'd had the Richa ones before too and felt similarly.

I've never had draggin ones but the one thing I'll say is that the pockets for the knee protectors seem to never be in the right place and being as bulky as they are they seem to pull the leg of the trousers all over the place when sitting on the bike. However I am quite tall. If you do go and try some on, make sure you get the opportunity to sit on a bike like your own wearing them.

I'm female so maybe that's why I've never had that problem, the designs are probably a bit different.
    I'm 5ft 8".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Has anyone had the misfortune to test a pair ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Best spot to buy? Cotters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

KTR1C wrote: »
    Has anyone had the misfortune to test a pair ??
    I saw a test in RIDE magazine, the best Kevlar jeans tested and one pair of cheap unlined leather jeans.
    The best pair of draggin kevlar jeans was about 1.7 seconds less good on an abrasion testing machine than the leather jeans.
    4.7 seconds vs 3.07s
    There was no mention of armour but I would guess its the same impact in anything with no armour.
    But the bottom line was leather beats textile no matter how abrasion resistant the textile is.
    If textile was superior for abrasion resistance race suits would be using it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

The impression I got of the RST jeans in McCallans was they're like old man jeans with padding. Think ill stick with my flip flops and quarter length shorts for summer rides :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would deffo wear Kevlar Jeans but only a very good expensive pair. There was a video of some lad that came off the bike at low speed with the cheap Aldi/Lidl kevlar jeans not so long ago, and my god it was not pretty. Road rash was incredible...in bits he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

I doubt the expense would make much, if any difference, main problem is the possibility of roll up leaving skin unguarded.

bladespin wrote: »
    I doubt the expense would make much, if any difference, main problem is the possibility of roll up leaving skin unguarded.

You can get different grades as in thickness, you can also get double stitched and triple stitched etc. The really cheap ones where more or less like wearing a pair of Levi's.

So the cost matters a fair bit. Also the jeans can only roll up the bottom half of the leg in fairness so protection everywhere else is key.

Gonna try find the link for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Try these. Not the cheapest but fully lined and made from pekev. Stronger than kevlar and come with removable knox armour in the hips and knees.
    https://www.resurgencegear.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i bought these because they are comfortable

http://www.fc-moto.de/Alpinestars-Outcast-Tech-Denim-Pants

They are nice to wear on the bike / walking / sitting etc. They were dark enough as i hate bluey stonewashed jeans. And they didnt have that mad G Star style stitching on them all over the place.

I have not purchased the padding inserts but there is space of them should i want to.

Cant comment on how they would handle a spill, and frankly i dont want to be able to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Anyone have these or have any experience with um:
    http://www.cottermc.com/clothing/akito-kevlar-motorcycle-jeans-stone
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/oxford-aramid-sp-j2-jeans-black-3800-p.asp

Looking to pick up a pair for the summer for short rides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Guys, I had to look up what atgatm meant(all the gear all the time) and if I had followed it through I'd have no facial scaring, leg scarring, shoulders out of kilter, knee scarring etc I make a point of driving into work in full leathers and an arai lid, takes as long putting them on than it does driving in, but I learnt my lesson the hard way. I have a pair of Kevlar jeans and always were my leathers, goes for boots and gloves too

Guys, I had to look up what atgatm meant(all the gear all the time) and if I had followed it through I'd have no facial scaring, leg scarring, shoulders out of kilter, knee scarring etc I make a point of driving into work in full leathers and an arai lid, takes as long putting them on than it does driving in, but I learnt my lesson the hard way. I have a pair of Kevlar jeans and always were my leathers, goes for boots and gloves too

Dead right Skill, I have spent a fortune on as much protection as I can without taking into account my Arai and leathers. Race boots with high armour and Knox Handroid gloves coupled with the Knox chest and back protector. I cant ride a bike without the back protector now its mental....I feel like an eggshell without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dead right Skill, I have spent a fortune on as much protection as I can without taking into account my Arai and leathers. Race boots with high armour and Knox Handroid gloves coupled with the Knox chest and back protector. I cant ride a bike without the back protector now its mental....I feel like an eggshell without it.
    Sake, i wear the handroids too,knox protector, etc haha, if you were to look in the mirror and imagine a better looking version of yourself, it would be me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I'm curious, would ye wander round town with the back protector on?
    I got the Knox one a few weeks back, very happy with it and wear it most of the time now but sometimes it just doesn't feel practical. Always proper boots and gloves though, love my armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Any brick andmortar places that do knox stuff for trying for size? I'm still on the auld oxford textiles I got starting out, was looking to trade up as the season warms up.

Advertisement