Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luttrelstown

Options
  • 10-04-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I'm playing Luttrelstown in a couple of weeks, has anyone any tips? I've never played there before.

I'm a highish handicapper, reasonably accurate but I don't have huge distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm playing Luttrelstown in a couple of weeks, has anyone any tips? I've never played there before.

I'm a highish handicapper, reasonably accurate but I don't have huge distance.

If you download an app such as "hole 19" you'll be able to get a feel for the course. It's a free app.

Course is a favourite of mine, it's fairly long. No real hidden dangers, it's all ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

PARlance wrote: »
    it's fairly long.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Off topic: that's a quality app parlance- cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Actually played there for the first time on Tuesday and loved it. Greens had been heavily sanded which is annoying but to be expected at this time of year.
    There are lots of long par 4s throughout the course but apart from length they're not too difficult. Course itself is in great condition and the scenery is amazing. The lady in the pro shop was a joy to deal with too which is always a nice start to your day out

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Felexicon wrote: »
    Actually played there for the first time on Tuesday and loved it. Greens had been heavily sanded which is annoying but to be expected at this time of year.
    There are lots of long par 4s throughout the course but apart from length they're not too difficult. Course itself is in great condition and the scenery is amazing. The lady in the pro shop was a joy to deal with too which is always a nice start to your day out

Can't diagree with any of that- always a pleasure to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

love the place, its a quality course, you will really enjoy it

off now to check out hole 19 app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played here over Christmas in a 14 hole team comp. It's a lovely course and was in good condition.
    However, a few points:
    1. When I booked it online through the club website, it was listed as an open team competition with no indication on the booking site that it was only 14 holes.
    2. It was 36 euro per player (35 green fee + 1 euro admin fee) which I thought was expensive, especially for winter golf.
    3. When I went to pay, I was told it was 5 euro entry for the competition.

So, 41 euro total for 14 holes of winter golf.
    Every club is entitled to set their own prices but I thought this was poor value. For example, St Margaret's had an 18-hole open for 25 euro inclusive of competition fee on the same day.
    I did politely convey these points to the lad taking the entries after the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played here over Christmas in a 14 hole team comp. It's a lovely course and was in good condition.
    However, a few points:
    1. When I booked it online through the club website, it was listed as an open team competition with no indication on the booking site that it was only 14 holes.
    2. It was 36 euro per player (35 green fee + 1 euro admin fee) which I thought was expensive, especially for winter golf.

Every club is entitled to set their own prices but I thought this was poor value. For example, St Margaret's had an 18-hole open for 25 euro inclusive of competition fee on the same day.
    I did politely convey these points to the lad taking the entries after the round.

It doesn't seem a great way of doing it I agree, much better to list the total price when booking. I wouldn't pay €40 to play a 14 hole comp in winter either.

At the same time I think St. Margarets isn't near as good a course. Headfort New would be closer I think which is €20 or €25 during the summer which makes the price seem even more ridiculous I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Have played it plenty of times and love the lay out, course was never in the condition it should have been for what it advertised itself as but since Peter Lawrie took over this year the place was immaculate (may have nothing to do with him!!!) and there is a lot more life around it.

I know quite a few lads that have re-joined/joined.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    At the same time I think St. Margarets isn't near as good a course.

Perhaps Dan. They are both very good courses in the same area. In winter any difference would be less pronounced as there was placing everywhere.
    I'm a member in St Margarets so it would have cost me even less.
    My point wasn't to compare the courses rather highlight what I thought was poor value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

However, a few points:

That's a very poor show, I'd write a letter to the committee, reduced course should be fairly advertised as well as competition fees

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Perhaps Dan. They are both very good courses in the same area. In winter any difference would be less pronounced as there was placing everywhere.
    I'm a member in St Margarets so it would have cost me even less.
    My point wasn't to compare the courses rather highlight what I thought was poor value.
    I get ya.

I agree it was poor value. I do think they have every right to charge what they want but should be up front about the cost. I'm sure your not the only one who would have given it a miss for the reduced holes at the higher cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Was the course restricted to 14 holes or just the competition?
    If you were allowed book, without a comp entry fee, then it wasn't mandatory that you enter the competition..
    I would have played the 18 anyway..

I have had small issues booking online with them before. Same sort of stuff as above.

When you click the 'Book a Tee Time' link you are redirected to booking site app.bookgolf365.com and fee is 35 euros. I guess it's for the green fee only. No mention there of 14 holes or additional competition fees.

Course seems to have 4 holes closed - 3, 4, 5, 6.
    All competitions over Christmas are 14 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The new head there is an ex pro that is always on Newstalk (whom I am sure he gives plenty free memberships) saying that he wants it to be a premium golf course with premium rates.

Had played it a couple of times for less than 20 euro after work and was a bit meh!

Now they are looking at 40 plus for every round. Seem to have a ttitude against people looking for value golf

Will be giving a miss i think

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The new head there is an ex pro that is always on Newstalk (whom I am sure he gives plenty free memberships) saying that he wants it to be a premium golf course with premium rates.

Had played it a couple of times for less than 20 euro after work and was a bit meh!

Now they are looking at 40 plus for every round. Seem to have a ttitude against people looking for value golf

If you regard luttrelstown as a bit meh, especially on a €20 green fee, I can’t wait to learn what you regard as top class and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

thewobbler wrote: »
    If you regard luttrelstown as a bit meh, especially on a €20 green fee, I can’t wait to learn what you regard as top class and great value.

I was ranking it comparison to its rack rate. I used those cheaper rates for flying round seeing how many holes I could fit in.

For example I would rank st Margaret much better course and always 10-15 Euro cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

it's not an attitude against people looking for value Golf. it's confidence in his product and it's a good product, If 40e is not value for you, there is lots of cheaper alternatives out there not the same quality but definitely cheaper. Going back to the Op, they should 100% be totally transparent about the course in play and the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’d regard it as a bit meh as well to be honest - I don’t think it’s in any way special, interesting or exciting but YMMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I’d regard it as a bit meh as well to be honest - I don’t think it’s in any way special, interesting or exciting but YMMV

what does YMMV mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

But a €40 green fee doesn’t make it special, just a touch better than normal.

For what it’s worth, Luttrelstown was a pleasant surprise to me, and better again the second time. I was expecting a roaring Celtic Tiger parkland, all about power, water features and buggies, and instead got treated to a classic style parkland, with subtleties everywhere, some wonderful approach shots, and an easy walk. That’s the kind of course I prefer myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I was ranking it comparison to its rack rate. I used those cheaper rates for flying round seeing how many holes I could fit in.

For example I would rank st Margaret much better course and always 10-15 Euro cheaper

Having played Margaret’s in the past and this year in Barton Shield it is a nice layout but not in the same bracket as Luttrelstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

There's a perception in international golf management, that course quality and its attractiveness, is directly related to its posted green fee.

So quite simply by upping the green fee, the perception of its quality is upped also.
    Overseas visitors are generally not budget conscious, and will not pick a €20 course.

Luttrelstown is sufficient good in quality and location to to make use of this idea. However flawed...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The new head is not that new, I’d say nearly a year and a half there now and guess what, he is not an ex pro, believe it or not, he is still a pro :D

I’m sure he might give a few free games away to the boys in newstalk but I’d be very surprised if he gives any memberships at all away.

It is a premium course, always was and always charged premium rates till JP decided to close the place. Then we all know what happened to the country, but the members had gone, there was no market to build houses, especially ones of the exclusive price bracket Luttrelstown would have fetched, so they decided to remain open as a golf course and get whatever revenues they could so they followed suit with probably 99% of the other golf clubs in the country and offered knock down green fee rates.

Times have changed and it’s been a long time since I remember seeing a round there for any less than about 35 quid, and even that rate is very rare.

If you think it’s meh, then you are entitled to your opinion, but as someone who has played well over 200 different courses and been a reviewer for golf digest, I respectfully disagree. I like Margaret’s, but they are not in the same league.

Last point, “value”. I think you mean cheap. Value is good value for money. €40 for a round in Luttrelstown is very good value.

Seve OB wrote: »

If you think it’s meh, then you are entitled to your opinion, but as someone who has played well over 200 different courses and been a reviewer for golf digest, I respectfully disagree. I like Margaret’s, but they are not in the same league.

Last point, “value”. I think you mean cheap. Value is good value for money. €40 for a round in Luttrelstown is very good value.

Well Irish Golfer ratings puts Luttrelstown #35 and St Margarets #63 so someone thinks they are broadly in the same bracket.
    https://www.irishgolfer.ie/single-post/2017/11/03/The-Irish-Golfer-Magazine-Top-100-Irish-Course-Ranking-2018

Value is relative though. Korean guy I played with was usedto e250 min per round!
    I would be ok with e40 for 18 holes in summer but not for 14 holes in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

€40 for 14 holes there is too steep. I'd be hard pushed to pay that in the middle of summer for 18. It's a nice track but not near the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

https://www.irishgolfer.ie/single-post/2017/01/15/Lawries-big-plans-at-Luttrellstown

Can't help but feel his business philosophy regarding Luttrellstown was/is naive at best. I think the employees there are fortunate that the owner seems content to sit on a loss-making operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Seve OB wrote: »
    The new head is not that new, I’d say nearly a year and a half there now and guess what, he is not an ex pro, believe it or not, he is still a pro :D

I think we all know Gypsy meant "Tour Pro" so I'm not sure what the ":D" is for. Also not sure I'd be still calling him a pro as he has retired as a Professional golfer and is now a Director of Golf.

Why would you still call him a pro? Is he a teaching pro as well as Director of Golf or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Milkers wrote: »
    https://www.irishgolfer.ie/single-post/2017/01/15/Lawries-big-plans-at-Luttrellstown

Can't help but feel his business philosophy regarding Luttrellstown was/is naive at best. I think the employees there are fortunate that the owner seems content to sit on a loss-making operation.

In what way do you think it naive at best?

From the article, I take it that:
    1. He is very aware about two of the main challenges of the market: more people are time poor and there's also a race to the bottom which is unsustainable in the long run.
    2. He thinks the Club / Course is in a good position to command a higher price. Deep pockets help this but I would agree that location, clubhouse, course standard, facilities such as their driving range would allow this also.

Advertisement