Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next door burning plastic

• 07-04-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭

one of the first hot days of the year and the **** next door is burning plastic and other **** out of a flu attached to a little shed he has.

who can I call to get this properly dealt with? Quick google shows it's the air pollution act of 1987 that this would come under.

had to close all the windows and take the clothes off the line and there was fierce drying to be done today in the heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah c'mere It's tradition like. The yearly Easter Tuesday burning of the little clear plastic things that hold your Easter eggs in place. We can't lose our noble and quaint traditions like this or we won't be able to call ourselves Irish anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

there was fierce drying to be done today in the heat.

Mam, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I bet he's cooking meth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There's a perfect AH answer to this, but I like my clean record too much. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whatever you do, don't knock on his door and ask him to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

one of the first hot days of the year and the **** next door is burning plastic and other **** out of a flu attached to a little shed he has.

who can I call to get this properly dealt with? Quick google shows it's the air pollution act of 1987 that this would come under.

had to close all the windows and take the clothes off the line and there was fierce drying to be done today in the heat.

Well, the attitude in your posts suggests you won't do the logical and sensible thing and that would be to have a quiet word with him and maybe suggest he does his burning when the wind is blowing away from your gaff. As for pollution, I doubt you are able to measure that, and it will be well gone before whoever you moan to will arrive to check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I blame the bin tax for this sort of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Quote the air pollution act of 1987 to them and see what the result is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yes the good folk of AH will call around OP and intervene on your behalf. You did the right thing coming here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Well, the attitude in your posts suggests you won't do the logical and sensible thing and that would be to have a quiet word with him and maybe suggest he does his burning when the wind is blowing away from your gaff. As for pollution, I doubt you are able to measure that, and it will be well gone before whoever you moan to will arrive to check.

Moan to? Surely I should be able to have breathable air at my own home. Sorry if my attitude isn't the best but it's one of my days off and I shouldn't have to sit inside on one of the hottest days of the year so I don't breathe burning plastic fumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

where are you based? I know in some parts of the country, plastics can be burned as long as they go through a chimney!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ring the fire service tell them there's a fire call out charge to put it out will soften there cough :) but you may all fall out as a result

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Moan to? Surely I should be able to have breathable air at my own home. Sorry if my attitude isn't the best but it's one of my days off and I shouldn't have to sit inside on one of the hottest days of the year so I don't breathe burning plastic fumes.

You live in Limerick. You were going to venture outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This is AH, so expect AH answers. So, in keeping with that ethos, why not go for a walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

where are you based? I know in some parts of the country, plastics can be burned as long as they go through a chimney!
    co. Clare, I hope that's not the case, but knowing this guy he probably has the page in his pocket ready to quote off to me saying that it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

sjb25 wrote: »
    Ring the fire service tell them there's a fire call out charge to put it out will soften there cough :) but you may all fall out as a result

Won't be any fallout unless it's radioactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Or if you have a good hose, direct your spray towards the low chimney. say you thought there was an emergency and you were being a good neighbour

We had the same issue with Lithuanian neighbours last year. They decided they were gonna build on a jacuzzi onto the house out of perspex and corrugated iron, and put in a little wood burning stove with a tiny chimney. Result was, all the smoke would come into the upstairs windows as the chimney was beneath them.

We ended up buying our own house, but let the landlord know that we had reported the matter to the County Council. They weren't long extending the chimney up over the roof of the house when the Council called out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

^ definitive AH answer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Won't be any fallout unless it's radioactive.

Jimminy Jellikers!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    We had the same issue with Lithuanian neighbours last year. They decided they were gonna build on a jacuzzi onto the house out of perspex and corrugated iron, and put in a little wood burning stove with a tiny chimney.
    How resourceful of them!

• Advertisement

sjb25 wrote: »

The person that rings will be stuck with the call out charge though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

No they can't

(neither via shopping Trolley!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

The person that rings will be stuck with the call out charge though!

Nope owner of the property the fire is on otherwise sure nobody would call the fire service anybody can call the fire service house insurance would normally cover it but I'm sure would sort the OPs problem

No they can't

(neither via shopping Trolley!)

im not sure whats the situation is now, but I remember over 10 years ago, there was a ban on burning any plastic, unless it went through a chimney. Its a law that can vary from county to county. it was aimed at stopping farmers from burning silage wrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

im not sure whats the situation is now, but I remember over 10 years ago, there was a ban on burning any plastic, unless it went through a chimney. Its a law that can vary from county to county. it was aimed at stopping farmers from burning silage wrap.

It'll illegal, often comes up over in F&F.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

Offences under the air pollution act are regarded as nuisances, there's also waste management (burning of waste) regulations to consider.

If you are unable to enjoy your property as a result, then the council should be notified, a simple warning letter should suffice to sort it out.

They don't need to actually catch them burning the crap, you would be their witness if they need to prosecute...

You can't burn plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You can't burn plastic

my credit card disagrees :(

Kovu wrote: »

I stand corrected, it was changed in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine does chimney relining. He told me that they often find lots of plastic glued to the inside of the chimney. Apparently plastic milk bottles are often used as firelighters :pac:

Advertisement