Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sleater-Kinney

• 08-10-2010 7:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

After reading a review of the Corin Tucker Band album which mentioned Sleater-Kinney this week, I was intrigued enough to check out this oddly named band I'd never heard of. I youtubed them, listened to Jumpers, and for the first time in a long time I was smitten by a first listen:

I picked up the Woods immediately and have been listening fairly obsessively since. Probably the best alt rock album I've heard in a long long time.

So, I'm absolutely loving this band. Anyone have any advice what to check out next? I believe One Beat is an equally fine album? I'm a few years behind the bandwagon on this one; any more fans of this wonderful group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Quite like this lot.Dig Me Out is essential riot grrl listening if you havn't got to it already, and All Hands On The Bad One is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

my favourite sleater kinney album is "the hot rock" especially the song start together, all hands on the bad one is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

ValJester wrote: »
    Quite like this lot.Dig Me Out is essential riot grrl listening if you havn't got to it already, and All Hands On The Bad One is very good too.

+1. "Dig me out" is a great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

ValJester wrote: »

+1. "Dig me out" is a great album.
    Love this song

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I miss Sleater Kinney. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I have "one beat"...not a bad album but gets samey after a while...music by angry girls for angry girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Dig Me Out is an incredible album. Haven't picked anything else up yet, though I'm sure that will be rectified soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

While the Woods and All Hands .. are my favourite ones I think any of the albums mentioned are worth a listen. Brilliant live band as well, they played here a few years ago. The drummer can play harmonica while drumming. She since formed a band (Quasi) but it wasn't as much cop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Must pick up Dig Me Out, seems to be the one to get!

Just listened through One Beat, some great songs on there. Funeral Song is fantastic.

The new Corin-Tucker Band album is pretty cool too, very different from Sleater-Kinney stuff, more of a country twang. Hopefully will get to see them live in November if I can get tickets. Doubt's a great song:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

Have had a bit of a listen. Doubt is a great song, the one that sounds most like SK to me. Johnny ultimate I had a quick look at their tour dates, when you mentioned seeing them was that in Dublin as I couldn't see anything? Or are you out foreign? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Have had a bit of a listen. Doubt is a great song, the one that sounds most like SK to me. Johnny ultimate I had a quick look at their tour dates, when you mentioned seeing them was that in Dublin as I couldn't see anything? Or are you out foreign? Cheers

He wasn't talking about seeing Sleater-Kinney live - they're not together any more.

He was talking about seeing Corin-Tucker Band.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, not in Ireland I'm afraid! They're playing Osaka and Tokyo when I'm around there, so if I can manage to get tickets (easier said than done) I'd love to see Corin live, considering it's probably as close as I'm going to get to seeing SK now!

They'll be back. ATP Festival 2012!

I'm much more a fan of Corin than Carrie who has another band in the pipeline. Found her so endearing while playing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

My mate put it best

" I love ****ty feminist punk"

He said it in earnest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

They're playing Vicar St on 26th March, this gig will be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Hey all. Just wondering what the best album of S-K is a good introduction to them?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    They'll be back. ATP Festival 2012!

I'm much more a fan of Corin than Carrie who has another band in the pipeline. Found her so endearing while playing live.
    I was 2 years off, and ATP aren't promoting any of their gigs but I was close enough.

New album is fantastic after only 1 or 2 listens.

fluke, might be best to work with No Cities To Love which is coming out this week and work backwards?

Their last album, The Woods, which was released about 10 years ago is still their peak imo.

I was 2 years off, and ATP aren't promoting any of their gigs but I was close enough.

New album is fantastic after only 1 or 2 listens.

fluke, might be best to work with No Cities To Love which is coming out this week and work backwards?

Their last album, The Woods, which was released about 10 years ago is still their peak imo.

Thanks S.M.B. I actually gave both those albums a whirl last night. Really like NCtL, The Woods seems like something I'll have to really give time to. Quite a dense album.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

I'd recommend 'Dig Me Out'...I love all their releases but I have to resist just playing 'Dig Me Out' all the time!
    I haven't heard 'No Cities To Love' yet BTW

First listen to No Cities... left me a bit cold. Second, third and so on and I was absolutely smitten. Fantastic to have them back and cannot wait until the gig in March (I was lucky enough to see Corin a few years ago, but a full Sleater-Kinney gig has been something I've been wishing for for five years now - pretty much since starting this thread!).

As for best albums to start with? All Hands on the Bad One is one of their most fun and accessible efforts - not necessarily their finest work (I'd still put The Woods on a different level, even in a consistently strong discography) but a damn good time nonetheless. Dig Me Out also a good bet.

• Advertisement

Had the joy of seeing them touring The Woods, time's have changed so I now have a front row seating ticket for their upcoming show in London.

Really living the new album opener and closer. Fade seems as close to The Woods as anything on the album. Cracking tune!

Had the joy of seeing them touring The Woods, time's have changed so I now have a front row seating ticket for their upcoming show in London.

Really living the new album opener and closer. Fade seems as close to The Woods as anything on the album. Cracking tune!

Do you have (or know anyone) with a spare ticket for London show?

fluke wrote: »
    Do you have (or know anyone) with a spare ticket for London show?
    I actually probably will. I initially bought a single standing ticket cause I thought the show would sell out straight away. I then went back and bought a seating ticket.

I've never sat at the roundhouse so I'm not sure which one I'm going to use and which one I'll try move on. I'll be there next month so I'll be checking what the sight lines are like from that seat. Pillars make it a bit of a lottery I hear.

There are few bands I go this out of my way to ensure I see from the optimal position but SK are clearly one of them.

I actually probably will. I initially bought a single standing ticket cause I thought the show would sell out straight away. I then went back and bought a seating ticket.

I've never sat at the roundhouse so I'm not sure which one I'm going to use and which one I'll try move on. I'll be there next month so I'll be checking what the sight lines are like from that seat. Pillars make it a bit of a lottery I hear.

There are few bands I go this out of my way to ensure I see from the optimal position but SK are clearly one of them.

Well if you're selling one of them (I'm easy going either way) at face value pm me please. :)

Will do!

All Hands On The Bad One is some record!

Well they've certainly still got it. Think I preferred their performance earlier this week to the last time I saw them. Pretty sure the setlist was twice as long which probably helps.

Everyone who has Dublin tickets is in for a treat.

Anyone who doesn't have a ticket will have to make do with this footage.

Phenomenal gig in London. Hopefully see them again in the near future! PINS were pretty good too!

Wonderful gig tonight, lived up to every expectation :) They're a band who are in so in tune with each other, and the songs take on a new dynamism live as a result. You really can feel the punch of each of their contributions. I'd watched some of the NPR gig and felt Corin seemed a bit more reserved, but no fear tonight - her voice was ****ing dynamite. Although Browstein totally owned several songs too with that righteous fury that makes them one of my favourite bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was going to get a ticket but they are playing Primavera so I've put them on my itinerary.

Advertisement