Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

• 07-03-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look at Melissa Benoist in her Supergirl costume

ustv-supergirl-first-look.jpg

Supergirl will focus on Kara Zor-El — Superman's cousin and fellow Krypton native — at age 24 as she's finally beginning to use her powers on Earth. There's no word yet on when it'll be ready to air, but plenty of additional casting news has come out over the past few months, such as the inclusion of Dean Cain, Helen Slater, Calista Flockhart.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/6/8163785/supergirl-photos-released-first-look-cbs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oh dear, this will be a good show, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Dean Cain won't play Clark... will he? :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You just cant beat Laura Vandervoort

supergirl-smallville-participar_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Dean Cain won't play Clark... will he? :o:D;)

Id be ok with that. Maybe one episode per season with him as Superman in a very minor scene. Couple of episodes as Clark per season... That would be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

OU812 wrote: »
    Id be ok with that. Maybe one episode per season with him as Superman in a very minor scene. Couple of episodes as Clark per season... That would be ok...
    be hard seeing as kara is older than clark, gonna be interesting to see what they do here, will clark even be around, how much krypton stuff will be involved in the show, will we have jor-el or karas father guiding her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Mc Love wrote: »
    You just cant beat Laura Vandervoort

supergirl-smallville-participar_1.jpg

True, you can't beat her, it's a pity she's 'bitten' off more than she can chew on that dreadful show! but wasn't half bad as a lizard on V!

I read somewhere that it was down to Melissa & Gemma Atkinson! & went with Melissa instead, as Gemma is now appearing now this week on Emmerdale, well at least she gets to mingle with a Dingle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Owain Yeoman will be the first to battle CBS’ Supergirl, as the DC Comics character
    Vartox

Spoiler link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

don ramo wrote: »
    be hard seeing as kara is older than clark, gonna be interesting to see what they do here, will clark even be around, how much krypton stuff will be involved in the show, will we have jor-el or karas father guiding her

Kara was older than Kal-El on Krypton but when she arrives on earth, he's already a fully grown man while she's still a teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CBS just announced their Fall schedule, and they're giving Supergirl a slot at 8PM on Mondays starting in November which is also the same timeslot as Gotham.
    SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El.

Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Golden Globe Award winner Calista Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), as her new art director.

However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (David Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=120500

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Worth noting that the CBS boss specifically said:
    Tassler noted that "we've been given license and latitude to make some changes," but Supergirl will still be Superman's cousin, and he'll be mentioned (if not seen) on the show.

Which pretty much definitely confirms that this will not be in The Flash/Arrow universe :(

• Advertisement

There's some poor stuff in there, but I can see the same bones as The Flash, and I can dig it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Looks very promising.Kind of getting The Flash vibes which is certainly a good thing.

Is there any possibility of a crossover between shows or is this set in a different universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yikes... that looks pretty ropey. I don't think adults are the target demographic.

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's some poor stuff in there, but I can see the same bones as The Flash, and I can dig it.

Greg Berlanti who develops The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow also develops this show. The start also reminds me of the start of The Flash (the my name is Barry Allen part)

Looks very promising.Kind of getting The Flash vibes which is certainly a good thing.

Is there any possibility of a crossover between shows or is this set in a different universe?

It specifically mentions (or doesn't) Superman as existing, and being a public figure, in this universe, so yeah, it's different from the DCWU. Unless of course The Flash goes universe hopping at some point.

Calista Flockhart looks younger in this than she did in Ally McBeal 18 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Maybe it's just my general distrust for CBS's scripted programming, but that trailer looks pants. I'll probably still tune in for the first episode to see if it could prove me wrong, but I'd be quicker to have faith in the show were it on The CW, Fox, ABC or NBC.

Melissa Benoist seems endearing enough as Kara, but the rest of the cast don't stand out at all (even Calista Flockhart doesn't show any promise).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This is a sweeping generalisation, but from the comments I'm seeing around the web it seems that the majority of people saying Supergirl trailer looks "amazing" are the people who have never watched a comic book show before in their lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

It's very firmly aimed at teenagers, having said that I'll be watching it. I've been looking for something to get my girls into comic books. The flash was too violent for them. This will engage them & they can relate to the female character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

OU812 wrote: »
    It's very firmly aimed at teenagers, having said that I'll be watching it. I've been looking for something to get my girls into comic books. The flash was too violent for them. This will engage them & they can relate to the female character

I think this could very well be the point of the show. DC and marvel have been looking for ways to get new demographics in and a female character would be a good way to do that. While Marvel has recently brought a strong female lead in Thor I am not sure if DC have gone to far here....

I was reading this morning that lots of people are comparing it to a SNL sketch about Black Widow....(http://io9.com/snl-hilariously-skewers-marvels-idea-of-a-girl-superhe-1701853744)

I'm also not a fan of it mentioning superman (or not) and it not being connected to the movieverse...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,726 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So no crossover with Arrow where she sees Ray and thinks he looks really familiar?

I'd say it's more likely set in the Arrowverse than the DC movie universe. It was hinted she existed in Man of Steel but in this case, they have to say she's his cousin, whether he shows up or not. It's pretty much one of the origin stories that can't really be changed.

The only way this is in the Arrowverse is if it is wayyyyy in the future of that show. There's no way Superman exists in the Arrowverse.

What I love about this show is the potential for this (taken from Hitfix):
    If the trailer is any indication, we're about to see an explosion of young girls tying on bathroom towels and saving their stuffed animals from fiery plane crashes.

It's about ****ing time we had that.

The way I look at it is that Superman exists in the Arrowverse, but all mention of him and/or Batman occurs offscreen.

It looks like they are going more Lois & Clark style wise than are the style of the CW shows to me so I can see them being in the same universe.

Haven't watched the trailer yet since in work. But was wondering is this a CBS made show like CSI or is it bought in like Person of Interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not seen Flash or Arrow, so I don't know if this is in keeping with those two. Looks fairly lightweight from the promo, the music and such - to be expected from CBS. Could be alright if it's just fluff and she's still grappling with her flying powers, though it looks like she gets over that fairly quickly. They could have peppered up the dialogue, such as on the roof scene where she proves who she is.

'You're her'
    'Yep'

Bit lame.

Oh, there's David Harewood.

This is undoubtedly all footage from the pilot that was pitched to the network, and thus I expect a good bit of it to change between now and November when it airs. Particularly, I'm betting the CGI will get a lot more work (although it's actually not bad at all at this point), and there will be a bit of editing done, especially if there are any adverse reactions to particular elements. Then, the regular series episodes will probably shake off a lot of the pilot's baggage pretty quickly, and evolve. Go back to the pilot for The Flash (or even the leaked original pilot) and you'll see a very different show than we ended up with after 3-4 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I think they are going for this Generations Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

• Advertisement

Well they did say that into every generation is born....

Also I have Five for Fighting's Superman stuck in my head

Advertisement