Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Left Disgusted By Treatment

Options
  • 26-03-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

HI all I was stopped for apparently speeding today by a guard who refused to give the exact reason I was stopped how he knew I was speeding(no gun) driving an unmarked jeep and he abused me from start to finish. He used foul language told me he was calling my boss when he finds out who I worked for when he finds out (I had refused to tell him who employed me as it wasn't relevant) he also refused to give me his name badge id number etc.??? What can I do about this. I thought he needed to give me his name etc if asked.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Report to garda ombudsman immediately giving as much detail as possible. You can do it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Report to garda ombudsman immediately giving as much detail as possible. You can do it on their website.

Report it to the actual guards I would say. They'll tell you if it was legit or not. There's very few unmarked jeeps in the country so sounds fishy, also refusing to give name or any details is quite uncommon, although no doubt happens

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Was he in uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bigpaul15

He was in a munster top and pair of combats I have the reg of the jeep and time etc. the jeep was unmarked and just had blue light on the dash and back. Not sure how to proceed as it is a company vehicle I drive and he stated he would make sure my boss hears about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

How do you know he was a guard?

• Advertisement

he told me he was and the jeep seemed legit.. he wouldn't give id or name but asked me to produce certificate of insurance in my local garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Bigpaul15 wrote: »
    he told me he was and the jeep seemed legit.. he wouldn't give id or name but asked me to produce certificate of insurance in my local garda station

Very few jeeps as I said, and easy to buy dashlights on places like ebay.

Seems suspicious, present your insurance to the Garda station and check and confirm if it was a real guard. Make a complaint in writing to the local superintendent from there if it is.

It's not a GSOC issue, it will be dealt with locally. There is no wrongdoing or investigation needed really more just a telling off from a superior for being ignorant.

perfect thanks very much for the info. ive asked a few guards I know and they've said they know nothing of this guy and that he has to give id and name

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Sounds like the guy in the jeep is a bit of a cowboy. Report it to the guards.

Report to the Gardaí. If it turns out to be an official jeep (sounds doubtful) then either make official complaint to the station or GSOC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

All we know so far is that he said he was a guard, had a blue light, and refused to provide any evidence that he was indeed a guard. Sounds well dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Something like this happened to me about 2 months ago. It was a marked car however but I was so flustered by it and it was dark that I didn't get a number.

Absolutely shocked by the manner in which he abused me. Had no reason to stop me. He pulled out and in behind me from Kevin Street station. Followed me until I pulled in front of my place and then went off yelling at me that I was bordering on the speed limit. About 5 minutes of abuse.

I rang GSOC and they said I didn't need to know the badge number and just write a report. I reported it and haven't heard anything since from them.

He was clearly in a bad mood or just out for pulling some one over. I think he was disappointed when he checked my insurance/tax/nct were up to date and I had a valid licence.

Absolutely disgusting that someone who is there to protect can just abuse a law abiding person. If it had been my dad or mum they would have been terrified. I know I found it difficult to put out of my mind for the next few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 How are ye

He was in a munster top and pair of combats I have the reg of the jeep and time etc. the jeep was unmarked and just had blue light on the dash and back. Not sure how to proceed as it is a company vehicle I drive and he stated he would make sure my boss hears about this

Why kind of jeep was it?

Rang the guards. Vehicle is a Garda vehicle but not attached to cork. <Mod snip> is the reg. it's a Kia sorento. No body knows who he is and the general consensus is he has to produce Id as he was plain clothed. I'm unsure how to proceed as there is nothing lodged by him about the incident yet and don't want to stir up something that may lead to hassle for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Produce what you were told to and either move on or write a letter of complaint to the local Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

HI all I was stopped for apparently speeding today by a guard who refused to give the exact reason I was stopped how he knew I was speeding(no gun) driving an unmarked jeep and he abused me from start to finish. He used foul language told me he was calling my boss when he finds out who I worked for when he finds out (I had refused to tell him who employed me as it wasn't relevant) he also refused to give me his name badge id number etc.??? What can I do about this. I thought he needed to give me his name etc if asked.

Are you sure he was a guard?!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Rang the guards. Vehicle is a Garda vehicle but not attached to cork. <Mod snip> is the reg. it's a Kia sorento. No body knows who he is and the general consensus is he has to produce Id as he was plain clothed. I'm unsure how to proceed as there is nothing lodged by him about the incident yet and don't want to stir up something that may lead to hassle for myself.
    fartyarse wrote: »
    Are you sure he was a guard?!

The above would suggest it was:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

I know a garage that services Gardai cars and sometimes the mechanics drop them back to the barracks. Maybe thats what happened here and the mechanic decided to play robocop.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

and don't want to stir up something that may lead to hassle for myself.

Like post the make, model and reg number of the car and criticise the driver on an open forum? or different type of hassle?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I note you don't deny speeding.

As a general rule the more a cop speaks the less he writes. I would bet money you are not going to be charged with speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

A small number of Gardai (if he even was one) feel free to berate people, act completely unprofessionally, and rely on many people's general desire not to get into hassle in doing so. Unless you really were doing something illegal, report this guy. The more like him act like this, the less it helps the many Gardai (once again, if that's what he actually was) doing their job.

Squatman wrote: »
    Like post the make, model and reg number of the car and criticise the driver on an open forum? or different type of hassle?:eek:

The hassle I refer to is if he's not doing anything about this I wouldn't want to make a complaint that leads him to pursuing me or having a vendetta of sorts against my car which is slightly different to average car.

Zambia wrote: »
    I note you don't deny speeding.

As a general rule the more a cop speaks the less he writes. I would bet money you are not going to be charged with speeding.

No have no denial but as I know never admit to anything until you know all the facts. My issue isn't with being charged with speeding being stopped for speeding it was his conduct and not a single procedure was followed I believe.

I have made numerous enquiries and the jeep is not associated with any barracks in cork and is supposed to be in a completely different county. also It appears no one seems to know who this guy is and who was given permission to drive the jeep at the time of the incident. my gut feeling tells me that he wouldn't pursue any charges as he was so out of order and he refused to give his details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No have no denial but as I know never admit to anything until you know all the facts. My issue isn't with being charged with speeding being stopped for speeding it was his conduct and not a single procedure was followed I believe.

Oh it's piss poor, no question.

However for a Garda to care this much is odd. But hey I was not there. Plus this will come to nothing , there is no way he is charging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

This sounds a bit like when a colleague was pulled over for hogging the right-hand lane. The guard gave him a good bolliking, complete with colourful language, shouting at him about how ignorant/inconsiderate/dangerous it was to do that. Neither side ever reported it, but the colleague now drives on the left instead of being a right-lane dick.

I thought that was a win-win-win: the other road users are not inconvenienced, the colleague didn't get points and the guard didn't have to write it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

I have made numerous enquiries and the jeep is not associated with any barracks in cork and is supposed to be in a completely different county. also It appears no one seems to know who this guy is and who was given permission to drive the jeep at the time of the incident. my gut feeling tells me that he wouldn't pursue any charges as he was so out of order and he refused to give his details

But you said earlier that you rang them and were told that it was linked to Cork.

Edit, miss-read you orginal post, its not cork.

xabi wrote: »
    But you said earlier that you rang them and were told that it was linked to Cork.

Edit, miss-read you orginal post, its not cork.

apologies what I meant was that it is showing as being in cork but then it turns out no one knows why and who has it in cork but is not a cork vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Any Guard can stop anyone anywhere in the Republic (preferably while on duty), it does not have to be in their own station/district/division. That's all i'm adding.

• Advertisement

Any Guard can stop anyone anywhere in the Republic (preferably while on duty), it does not have to be in their own station/district/division. That's all i'm adding.

No one argues this point I was using that in the context of the likelihood of him pursuing any charge that's all. I have no problem being stopped. I have no problem being charged for speeding but I simply have an issue with the conduct and lack of common decency. after all I was speeding not shooting anyone. I drive a high powered BMW which wouldn't be the norm for a person of my age but I have come to realize if I was a guard I would probably have an extra hard look at me also. but when doing so the least I deserve is to be treated as a human being and not be asked if "im retarded?" his words not mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement