Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poldark - BBC

• 19-05-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    BBC One today announced that Aidan Turner will star as Ross Poldark in Debbie Horsfield’s adaptation of Winston Graham’s saga set in 18th century Cornwall Britain is in the grip of a chilling recession... falling wages, rising prices, civil unrest - only the bankers are smiling. It's 1783 and Ross Poldark returns from the American War of Independence to his beloved Cornwall to find his world in ruins: his father dead, the family mine long since closed, his house wrecked and his sweetheart pledged to marry his cousin. But Ross finds that hope and love can be found when you are least expecting it in the wild but beautiful Cornish landscape.

Aidan Turner said: "I'm very excited to play Ross Poldark for the BBC and it's obviously a huge challenge to honour the extraordinary character Winston Graham created and who Debbie Horsfield has brought new life to. But there's a terrific team coming together and the scripts are superb, so I can't wait to get started."

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, says: "We are really excited. He is a brilliant actor, he is part of the BBC family, we are incredibly thrilled he is coming back from Hollywood from The Hobbit in order to lead Poldark for BBC One."

Poldark will be in eight 60-minute episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/poldark.html

First image of Turner as Poldark

Poldark.jpg?afe576

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The eight part series begins on Sunday 8th of March at 9pm

Poldark and Demelza married already, that was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm really enjoying this programme, I never heard of Mr. Turner before Poldark but he is pretty hawt ;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this programme, I never heard of Mr. Turner before Poldark but he is pretty hawt ;)

I would recommend seeing him as a vampire in Being Human (UK version)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Any reason to watch this other than the lead's smouldering good looks? I saw a clip on Gogglebox and wasn't convinced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Any reason to watch this other than the lead's smouldering good looks? I saw a clip on Gogglebox and wasn't convinced

Not really its very slow, i would have given up after episode one only for the eye candy :p

Some of the supporting characters are great too they just need to be used more especially the likes of Prudy, Jud and Verity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

8/10 so far but needs more
    1. Wenching
    2. Bodice ripping
    3. Ravishing
    4. Smouldering/brooding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

8/10 so far but needs more
    1. Wenching
    2. Bodice ripping
    3. Ravishing
    4. Smouldering/brooding

Switch the Black Sails so. Where you can add theving, scheming and murder to the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Loving this so far

• Advertisement

Glad it has been renewed for a season 2, very sad finale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

Fans of the BBC’s hit show Poldark can celebrate after TV bosses hinted it would renewed for another five series, just weeks after the immensely popular first series came to an end.

The popular show and its brooding protagonist, played by Aidan Turner, is set to continue delighting audiences after the BBC’s outgoing Controller of Drama Commissioning said he ‘firmly believes’ the show will go on long past its currently confirmed second series.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3077609/Poldark-s-FIVE-series-BBC-executive-says-firmly-believe-hit-drama-continue-long-past-confirmed-second-season.html

Aidan Turner will return as Ross Poldark for the first of ten brand new episodes on 4th September 2016.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07-16/poldark-series-2-air-date-revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

Loved series 1 - the actors, the dialogue, the music, the scenery. From what photos and trailers I have seen on Aidan Turner/Poldark FB pages, series 2 promises to be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm counting down the days until Poldark/Mr Turner is back on our screens.....roll on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Great episode last night to kick of the second series. Found myself paying more attention to the story line than I did the previous series! I like Francis Poldark's character and I hope he stays around for a bit longer... Ross is too perfect though, he needs to have a flaw or two to make his character more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I am so devoted to this series, devastated that I just missed Episode 4. So I watched the trailer. I get that Ross rescued Demelza from the icy waters and her in her pregnant state, delivered of a baby boy I think. Did anything else exciting happen? I much prefer the old series with Robin Ellis, he is the main man In my opinion. I am going to ask the BBC if they will reshow the old series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SPOILER ALERT..........SPOILER ALERT...........SPOILER ALERT.......

Loads more flirting between Dr Dwight & the blondey wan. Over oranges. She bought them to help cure his patients of de scurvey. She left Cornwall at the end of the ep, but she's back in the next one.

Francis and Ross made up and have gone into business as partners. They are opening up an old mine & are trying to keep it all under the radar, so that George Warleggan can't sabotage the venture. Ross and GW had a big bust up in a pub, when GW told him he paid Francis to spill Ross's business secrets in S1. Ross forgave Francis, as long as he made up with Verity and her hubby, which he did.

To raise money for the new mining exploration, Ross is letting local smugglers unload their cargo in a cove that is part of his land. He and Demelza had a big row about it, as if he gets implicated in the smuggling, he'll go to prison.

Jed was badly beaten by GW's cronies for not following thru on the deal to testify against Ross during his trial. The wife thought he was dead and held a big funeral for him, but he made a miraculous recovery. Ross suspects GW's involvement.

GW tries to get Elizabeth to be more "friendly" to him and to snitch on Francis and Ross's business dealing, in return for some vague promise to go easy on the Poldark family and all the debts they have.

I think that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Great episode tonight. Love Dr Enys and delighted that he is staying.
    Last scene with Mr. Turner crawling out of a drawer was a bit cringy. Thought he was going to turn up at Elizabeth's gaff..

• Advertisement

Go Demelza you dirty dog Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Go Demelza you dirty dog Ross

Ugh!! Just saw last week's episode. I'm so disappointed! :(:(

DigiGuide is showing this as starting on Sunday 11th June, but this is not confirmed anywhere else.

brian_t wrote: »
    DigiGuide is showing this as starting on Sunday 11th June, but this is not confirmed anywhere else.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-29/poldark-series-3-uk-air-date-confirmed

brian_t wrote: »

Yes confirmed for BBC 1 from 11th June 2017 at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pink Fox

Plenty of action in trailer on BBC One today. Looking forward to June 11.

Pink Fox wrote: »
    Plenty of action in trailer on BBC One today. Looking forward to June 11.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Amazon are selling Poldark Kindle edition books for 99p today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Neyite wrote: »
    Amazon are selling Poldark Kindle edition books for 99p today. :)

Darn it missed that. Back at £4.74 today

Advertisement