Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

WS2 isn't being built anymore. At a guess I'd expect 2+2 with a couple of compact GSJs and a handful of roundabouts.

IF they do Adare as well, I'd expect HQDC N21 (calling it M21 is a pipe dream) passing Adare with a GSJ (roundabout on top) and 2+2 going from there to Foynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Is it possible that the sod will be turned on this before the M20 project? The up coming pre election budget will shed light on this I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

pajoguy wrote: »
    Is it possible that the sod will be turned on this before the M20 project? The up coming pre election budget will shed light on this I suppose.

It's not possible, it's guaranteed. The main funding for this is coming from the EU, plus it's relatively cheap. The M20 also has to go back to the planning stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the Adare bypass is being fed directly from the M20 making it M21 would make sense as only motorway traffic would be able to enter it anyway, and non-motorway traffic coming from the Kerry side would have to exit the road before Adare anyway as they wouldn't be allowed on the M20.

Building an Adare bypass before the M20 will be a mess as there will likely be a reconfiguring of junctions needed when the M20 is built beyond Junction 5

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

I guess we will know a lot more this afternoon when the route options are shown in the South Court Hotel and hopefully on the project website foyneslimerick.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Here are the options.

1cba1b_9b3891b967934cb79031d300dbdcd090.jpg_srz_p_876_560_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Route Corridor Option 4 is the obvious choice, although it would make more sense if points N was further west, beyond point K.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What road type is this being planned as? Hope the N21 Adare bypass segment is M or at least HQDC as it leads directly to a motorway.

Option 4 does seem to make the most sense although I would make the link from Foynes to the N21 bypass a bit more direct

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pajoguy

marno21 wrote: »
    What road type is this being planned as? Hope the N21 Adare bypass segment is M or at least HQDC as it leads directly to a motorway.

Option 4 does seem to make the most sense although I would make the link from Foynes to the N21 bypass a bit more direct

I had a chat with one of the consultants and he was saying it would possibly be HQDC or Motorway to west of Adare but indicated it might be to a lesser standard towards Foynes.

The point was very much emphasised that this will be a road to get traffic from foynes to the M20 therefore minimum number of junctions. They expect all local traffic to use the old road.

Route 4 or 2 would appear to my untrained eye to be the most logical but it comes down to much more than logic.

Route to be decided by the end of year. Construction expected to start in 2020.

I heard there was up to 200 people at the consultation last night in Limerick with similar numbers expected today in Foynes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

pajoguy wrote: »
    I had a chat with one of the consultants and he was saying it would possibly be HQDC or Motorway to west of Adare but indicated it might be to a lesser standard towards Foynes.

The point was very much emphasised that this will be a road to get traffic from foynes to the M20 therefore minimum number of junctions. They expect all local traffic to use the old road.

Route 4 or 2 would appear to my untrained eye to be the most logical but it comes down to much more than logic.

Route to be decided by the end of year. Construction expected to start in 2020.

Is this a typo? Would have thought any of the routes proposed could be expected to be finished by 2020?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The blue route (option 2) is a no brainer to me - two roads done for the price of one. A motorway to Rathkeale with a DT2 tie in for N21 and ST1 for N69 spur to Foynes would surely be cheaper than eventual separate parallel ST1 and DT2 roads for N69 and N21 respectively. With duplicatation minimised, it would surely have the least impact on the environment too.

Is this a typo? Would have thought any of the routes proposed could be expected to be finished by 2020?

Nope. The route has to be chosen, then the EIS and detailed design have to be done, then scheme is sent to ABP and then it will have to go to tender. Each of these stages could take a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Nope. The route has to be chosen, then the EIS and detailed design have to be done, then scheme is sent to ABP and then it will have to go to tender. Each of these stages could take a year.

Thanks. I thought the process would have been quicker for this type of project. Very little SAC in the Study Area + it is a Tier 1 port at the end of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Option 2 is the councils (or whoever is making the decision's) preferred option.

Huge turnout in Foynes tonight with up to 500 people in attendance by one estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Wonder if this could be used as a sneaky way to get an Adare bypass built with a slight detour for Foynes traffic?

Roads in Kerry are absolutely brutal, was home last year. absurd that they have become almost unusable. Many third world countries would have better main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Wonder if this could be used as a sneaky way to get an Adare bypass built with a slight detour for Foynes traffic?

Given the routes options 2/3 look like they are best for the region, Adare and Rathkeale bypassed, improved access to North Kerry & simplify the M20 alignment.

I'd be interested in hearing what are the local impacts of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 quizzical

What about option 4 is there a high possibility that this one could go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

antoobrien wrote:
    Given the routes options 2/3 look like they are best for the region, Adare and Rathkeale bypassed, improved access to North Kerry & simplify the M20 alignment.

Rathkeake is already bypassed a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

quizzical wrote: »
    What about option 4 is there a high possibility that this one could go ahead?

Option 4 seems to me to be the best option due to serious volume of heavy vehicles currently using the N69 and given the amount of industry around Askeaton, it would seem to make more sense to use option 4 and utilise an upgraded N69/New Build. Option 4 would give traffic from Wyeth Nutritional access to the new build road withing 200 metres of its entrance (all of their products are moved by road), this would then link into a new bypass of Adare rather than the option 2 of a new road and major interchange around Rathkeale when there is already a sufficient road in place there for the volumes using it.

I see the foyneslimerick.ie has been updated with an extended deadline for submissions to 10th April and higher resolution drawings from the public consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Afternoon all

So I'm a bit late to the party here. Only found out the end of last week about all this. Route 1 goes through half of my site.

Anyone shed any light on what I do now? will there be more public meetings?

If there is a CPO isuses on my house how does this work?

Does anyone know when the decision on a route will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

dashoonage wrote: »
    Afternoon all

So I'm a bit late to the party here. Only found out the end of last week about all this. Route 1 goes through half of my site.

The corridors in the route are 300m wide. The width of the actual road if it was built on that particular corridor would be something in the region of 50m, so they will have wriggle room to avoid houses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

dashoonage wrote: »
    Afternoon all

Route 1 seems to be the least likely option I think, certainly it's not even mentioned as likely in the discussion on here can anyone else comment?

Was there any feedback from these public meetings?

Best of luck re your house and any impact etc hope it's all ok for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Mango Joe wrote:
    Route 1 seems to be the least likely option I think, certainly it's not even mentioned as likely in the discussion on here can anyone else comment?

Someone on here said preferred option was route two.

Someone I know was told route 1 at the meeting.

To be honest I would take what they say lightly at this stage. They will play their cards close to their chest until the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jmdwr

The scheme is positioned as one of "Improvement". Therefore Option 1 should be the route, and no other. It's very simple.

If Option 2, 3 or 4 are contenders then the scheme should be something other than Improvement.

The fact that there are 3 other routes now being tabled implies Limerick Council is going to discount option 1. It's drawn in red which is quite appropriate as it is a red herring. The agenda here includes building a new road that can by-pass Adare also.

I wonder what are buddies in Europe will say if they realize that the funding is being used in this way, or will they care?

jmdwr wrote: »
    The scheme is positioned as one of "Improvement". Therefore Option 1 should be the route, and no other. It's very simple.

If Option 2, 3 or 4 are contenders then the scheme should be something other than Improvement.

The fact that there are 3 other routes now being tabled implies Limerick Council is going to discount option 1. It's drawn in red which is quite appropriate as it is a red herring. The agenda here includes building a new road that can by-pass Adare also.

I wonder what are buddies in Europe will say if they realize that the funding is being used in this way, or will they care?

The idea of the route is to get heavy traffic from Foynes port to the motorway network. All of these option give that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If they can kill two boards with one stone i dont think they will care. If they can provide an express route from foynes and bypass adare within budget....fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

You seem to want a captive audience for travel related businesses along the N21. Well screw that! That is exactly what is wrong with this country. BTW, freedom of movement is also a principle of the EU. You have no right to restrict the movement of people and deprive them of choice - capitalism at its worst!

Advertisement