Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

xbox 360 slim lazer

• 19-03-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Hi I just replaced the lazer on my 360 and still its saying open tray? Did I do something wrong??

I watched a youtube video that said I had to remove tiny ball of sowlder from the new lazer which I did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you make sure you removed all of it? (The solder)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Did you make sure you removed all of it? (The solder)

Ya I gave it a good wipe with the solder iron

I just opened up the drive there again and isnt the lazer meant to slide the whole way back and forth?? Mine wont slide back much it hit of the green board??

Got a feeling thats not right

That's the problem so. You obviously installed it wrong. Take the cover off and when you turn it on or eject the drive it should slide up and down. If it does not move it's installed wrong.

That's the problem so. You obviously installed it wrong. Take the cover off and when you turn it on or eject the drive it should slide up and down. If it does not move it's installed wrong.

Ok I hooked up the drive without the silver box around it and when I turn the xbox on and open or close tray the lazer only goes back a tiny bit .. what the **** did I do wrong :(

Thats with no disc in it btw

• Advertisement

No it should move up and down more than a bit searching for a disc.

It's obviously the slides and the gear coming off the motor.

No it should move up and down more than a bit searching for a disc.

It's obviously the slides and the gear coming off the motor.

What should I do?

Before I changed the lazer it was still reading discs now and then .only changed it to sell it easier

As I said the it is not connected to the gear off the motor or the slides properly. Watch a video how to replace the laser and watch how they connect it back up.

As I said the it is not connected to the gear off the motor or the slides properly. Watch a video how to replace the laser and watch how they connect it back up.

Even when I have it resting on the 2 bars without screwing it back on it still wont go past the green board underneath it

It's hard for me to explain and I don't fully understand what you are trying to say. my advice is just keep messing with it and study it until you figure out what you are doing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This happened me when I changed a laser too. It was a few months ago, & I actually can't remember how I solved it. I do remember taking the laser back out, & starting again. As above, just study it & refit everything.

Cheers its sliding now but still not reading. Oh ya there was a metal thing screwed on the old lazer that wasnt on the new one so I swapped it over. Should I not have?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Cheers its sliding now but still not reading. Oh ya there was a metal thing screwed on the old lazer that wasnt on the new one so I swapped it over. Should I not have?

It's hard to know just by reading, try put up some pictures. If it's sliding as it should now, and still not reading, double check the ribbon cable connections are in all the way.

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's hard to know just by reading, try put up some pictures. If it's sliding as it should now, and still not reading, double check the ribbon cable connections are in all the way.

Its not sliding again :(

I just remembered when I was taking apart the xbox today a small square spongey white thing fell out . Maybe that was like a wedge to keep the green board out of the way ?? Il try wedging something small and see

Heres a pic anyway . Thats as far back as it will go before hitting the green thing.

Heres a pic anyway . Thats as far back as it will go before hitting the green thing.

The green thing is the PCB board. It is so long since I done anything with xbox's I forget. AFAIK the laser should slide above the PCB board(green thing). Is there much of a clearance between bottom of laser and the PCB board?

The green thing is the PCB board. It is so long since I done anything with xbox's I forget. AFAIK the laser should slide above the PCB board(green thing). Is there much of a clearance between bottom of laser and the PCB board?

Its hitting the board, i put a small wedge on the board and it clears it then no problem but still doesnt read the disc. And im nearly positive everything is fitted correctly. Think il just sell it for parts ha

Did you do a firmware mod on it or anything? Why did you go changing the laser anyway, were you getting disc reading errors?

Did you do a firmware mod on it or anything? Why did you go changing the laser anyway, were you getting disc reading errors?

No i did no mods. Ya I was getting open tray alot , was getting annoying and I was goin to sell it

• Advertisement

rottie 11 wrote: »

Yeah the exact same thing was happening to me, again though, I can't remember exactly how I sorted it sorry :( I remember it hitting the pcb clearly. I'm fairly sure I just took it all apart & reassembled it and it worked.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah the exact same thing was happening to me, again though, I can't remember exactly how I sorted it sorry :( I remember it hitting the pcb clearly. I'm fairly sure I just took it all apart & reassembled it and it worked.

Ha il let off until tomorrow and give it another go then

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

Mate you have to close the dvd drive and the carriage will raise itself up a bit and the laser will clear the pcb. The draws are designed to lower the carriage down when the draw is open so that it dosen't hit and damage the motor spindle in the middle (for spinning the discs). And you might need to do a pot tweak to get it reading right google it. Also if you adjusted any of the screws under the drive supporting the 2 little silver rods it can be a nightmare to get the drive to read again.

smliv wrote: »
    Mate you have to close the dvd drive and the carriage will raise itself up a bit and the laser will clear the pcb. The draws are designed to lower the carriage down when the draw is open so that it dosen't hit and damage the motor spindle in the middle (for spinning the discs). And you might need to do a pot tweak to get it reading right google it. Also if you adjusted any of the screws under the drive supporting the 2 little silver rods it can be a nightmare to get the drive to read again.

Cheers but na im just not going to bother with it anymore . The only game I play on it is bo2 so I got a digital code for it. Dont need to fix the xbox now :)

Advertisement