Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chee wrote: »
    Other option I was thinking to buy USB wifi dongle that supported 5GHz before I return C7, any suggestions on the dongle please, Which one I should go for? (ac or n)

While I haven't tried any of these myself, interesting article here comparing different dongles:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3516879/best-80211ac-usb-wi-fi-adaptors-2015-uk/

Yes, if you don't get a dongle, then probably best to return the router to Amazon and wait until you upgrade your laptop to buy a new router then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just a heads up to everyone, you can get an Archer C7 refurb in 'Sehr Gut' condition from Amazon.de for 76 euro delivered to Parcel Motel at the moment. It works out about 78 euro delivered to Ireland due to increased vat and delivery so better to go with Parcel Motel. Might be a version 1, not really sure, I'll let you know when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Hey Guys

I have the Thompson 7200 and an Archer C9. After about 2 hours I'm noticing that the internet access is dropping. The only way to solve it is to release the IP from the WAN and Renew it again. The renew button is greyed out when the IP has already been assigned.

I have tried to set it up in various ways
    1. Following the basic guide instructions
    2. Doing the extra step of DMZ and static ip
    3. Putting the thompson into bridge mode using 192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

3 is the state its in now, when I tried 1 and 2 the WAN actually dropped more often

Has anyone got the C9 fully functional with the Thompson 7200? I have installed all the latest firmware updates on the C9

Any guidance much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Update: I reset the 7200 and used the SNMP approach instead of the switch mode page. Been working solidly now for about 13 hours fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I've been having network MTU issues since I got a new connection on 240mb/s and UPC are trying to phob me off to premium PC support, which I'm not paying for.

Never had this issue before with UPC, but can some people run a ping test for me with the following if they are on a 240Mb/s service?
    ping -f -l 1472 boards.ie

Ideally you should get
    Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 1472 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=1472 time=2ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=1472 time=1ms TTL=60
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=1472 time=2ms TTL=60

which is standard 1500 MTU minus the 28 IP and ICMP headers.

I get this:
    Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 1472 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.0.0.2: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

192.0.0.2 is not in my network.

Looks like my ideal MTU for my connection is 1460 which is very annoying so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As requested
    Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 1472 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
    Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

.2.1 is my WNDR3800.

36 bytes of overhead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

Great guide. We're on the 250mb UPC deal using the supplied modem (getting full speeds on wired, around 50mb/s wireless)

I'm in process of buying parts for a new pc just wondering what wireless network adaptor would people recommend? Would like to get one that can take as fast a speed as possible preferably one that could handle a further UPC speed increase in future.

Can't really go wired in the room it would be in so thats why i'm looking at a wifi adaptor. Obviously we wouldn't see the full speed until we get a new router and set it up but i'd like get something now that can handle it when the time comes.

would this be good enough for example?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-450Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1424656467&sr=1-1&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-WDN4800

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Trilla90 wrote: »
    Great guide. We're on the 250mb UPC deal using the supplied modem (getting full speeds on wired, around 50mb/s wireless)

I'm in process of buying parts for a new pc just wondering what wireless network adaptor would people recommend? Would like to get one that can take as fast a speed as possible preferably one that could handle a further UPC speed increase in future.

Can't really go wired in the room it would be in so thats why i'm looking at a wifi adaptor. Obviously we wouldn't see the full speed until we get a new router and set it up but i'd like get something now that can handle it when the time comes.

would this be good enough for example?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-450Mbps-Wireless-Express/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1424656467&sr=1-1&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-WDN4800

How about getting a wifi dongle and use a usb extension lead? Very flexible for positioning the dongle to get the best signal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Wifi+dongle+ac&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AWifi+dongle+ac

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sparky wrote: »
    I've been having network MTU issues since I got a new connection on 240mb/s and UPC are trying to phob me off to premium PC support, which I'm not paying for.
    Looks like my ideal MTU for my connection is 1460 which is very annoying so far.
    Works fine for me at 1472, going one higher i.e. 1473 gives the fragmentation error as expected. This is on a TP-Link WDR4300 bridged to a Cisco EPC3925.

MTU is set to 1500 on the TP-Link, what is yours set to?

• Advertisement

About time to buy for me. C7 vs C9, thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    About time to buy for me. C7 vs C9, thoughts?

According to reviews there is little or no performance difference between the C7/C8/C9

A little faster in some areas, a little slower in others. But overall the same. The C9 is an AC1900 versus AC1750 for the C7.

But you only benefit from that if you use to C9 and bridge them over wifi. You won't get any benefit from AC1900 from any ordinary AC clients. To be honest I don't think I'd bother with the C9, but the C8 is an option.

The differences of the C8/C9 are that they are white (maybe you prefer that or not).

They use a new nicer looking admin web interface, but it doesn't do anything that you couldn't do with the old interface.

Their external antennas are dual band, supporting both 2.4 and 5Ghz, while the C7's external antennas only support 5Ghz with 3 separate internal antennas doing the 2.4GHz. This sounds like a big difference, but performance reviews don't really show a difference.

Probably the mean reason to get the C8 is that you are guaranteed to get a bug free device, if you get a C7 you run the risk of getting the C7v1 model and then needing to return it and the hassle of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Finally got around to upgrading from the 120mb package yesterday.

4170048389.png

Yeah Baby!!

Also asked them to transfer me to the Loyalty department and got €45 a month off for the next six months.

Bridge'r and USB powered fan'er for several years now with 24/7/365 reliable full speed connection so not too worried about not getting those posted new speeds 24/7/365.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Got the C7 today from Germany. Seems to be version 1.1 but everything is working grand and I don't use any Apple products so pretty happy with this.

Very handy tip I just realised I can plug my galaxy note 3 into my laptop and tether the wifi connection to my computer's USB3 port. It picks it up as an ethernet connection and gives me speeds of 200MBS plus on speedtest on the laptop. My laptop doesn't have an AC, or even a 5ghz wifi card so I was maxing out at 50 before. Saves me buying an adapter or new card. (For now)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

rebeve wrote: »
    7260 card arrived .I now get 170 on the 2.4 band .But the 5 band is awful less than 50 every time .The router is a netgear r6250 its a bit puzzeling

Update speed on the 2.4 now 237mb but 5Ghz is rubbish with the router less than 2 feet away

Update 3
    Now all well great wireless speeds on 2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ . Patience is the key .

4174927760.png

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wilden

Hi all, just to let you know that those getting slow speeds on new packages are not alone.

I upgraded to 240mbps pack, and since 8 feb 2015 have very rarely hit that magic number.

Normally hit around 130-140, and have been down to hit as low 20mbps download while the upload remains constant. UPC have failed to find errors on my equipment or the hotizon box.

They have placed a trace on the line. No know results. Just letting you know that you are not alone, many fellow customers/users in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Got the C8 and it's increased my wireless speeds tremendously, got 185mb on my phone earlier & similar on Macbook but I'm getting random dropouts in connectivity though every once & awhile since setting it up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wilden

thanks a bunch for your response, download issue is not due to my equipment as I have a new 6 core amd fitted with gigbit card, new laptop fitted with gigabit card, when Engineer was with me all download speeds were fine, but drop out from 14:00 hrs onwards, and get worse as the evening goes on. Its their problem so I hope there is a lot of headscratching happening, but I assume that its the opposite ends that are being scratched. three weeks on and not notion of a resolution in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks I'm after inheriting an archer C20i router same as this model
    I know most people here recommend the C7 or newer/higher specs but is anyone using this particular model to run their WiFi?
    If you are, any pitfalls or foibles I should be aware of?
    I'm currently using the Thomson TWG-870 router with upgraded antenna along with a cantenna mod in 5ghz mode but I'm really looking for a dual band capable solution.

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks I'm after inheriting an archer C20i router same as this model
    I know most people here recommend the C7 or newer/higher specs but is anyone using this particular model to run their WiFi?
    If you are, any pitfalls or foibles I should be aware of?

I don't have it, but it looks good for what it is. It is likely much better wifi performance then the UPC router, not quiet as good as the C7, but probably good enough for your means.

Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bk wrote: »
    I don't have it, but it looks good for what it is. It is likely much better wifi performance then the UPC router, not quiet as good as the C7, but probably good enough for your means.

Let us know how it goes.

Will do, I'll throw up some before and after DB/Signal values from inSSIDer aswell as some before and after WiFi speed tests too.
    I got mine for free, but if the performance is good it could turn out to be a good value alternative to the C7/C8/C9 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Got the C8 and it's increased my wireless speeds tremendously, got 185mb on my phone earlier & similar on Macbook but I'm getting random dropouts in connectivity though every once & awhile since setting it up earlier.

Been working fine over the last couple days with no drop outs in connectivity I've noticed, speeds are savage couldn't believe I maxed it out the other day, also can receive a 5ghz signal in my kitchen where before it wouldn't pick anything up other than a weakish 2.4ghz.

jw3PVPRl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

using a wifi extender I noticed they came with a cat5 cable, I assume if I upgrade to cat5e I will get a better speed on the other end. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Emailed Komplett.ie today and they confirmed their C7 is v2, so ordered for 94.90 incl. delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

homer911 wrote: »
    Emailed Komplett.ie today and they confirmed their C7 is v2, so ordered for 94.90 incl. delivery

Done the same last week and it arrived today with ups.
    It is indeed a v2.

Its still in the box,going to set it up later.I have read in a few places that setting your country as USA can give you better range,can anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

magentis wrote: »
    Done the same last week and it arrived today with ups.
    It is indeed a v2.

Its still in the box,going to set it up later.I have read in a few places that setting your country as USA can give you better range,can anyone shed any light on this?

USA set up has fewer working channels I think it was mentioned. Not sure how this would give better range.

Surely the extra two channels are useful when trying to avoid interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PointBlank

Long time Boards lurker, first time poster, just really wanted to say thanks a million for this guide - just moved to UPC 120Mbps and got the new router, details above helped me get it sorted and my IP camera back online. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Foxtrot Tango

Posted this in another thread but seems more appropriate here now (so apologies for duplication).
    I recently upgraded to UPC 240 MB with Horizon TV.
    I got the new box but continued to use the old Technicolour TC7200 modem due to the fact that I have a phone connected to it and it was too much hassle to reroute the cable.
    But since then the wifi performance seems to have deteriorated becoming slower and more variable with occasional drop outs.
    Speedtests show results normally between 5 and 10 MB with a fairly new laptop only a few feet away from the modem (so much lower than I see elsewhere in this thread)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5755 kbps (719.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 12296 kbps (1537 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 24 ms
    Jitter: 29 ms
    3/17/2015, 10:58:50 PM

When I connect with a cable I get close to the full 240 MB so the supply from UPC seems fine.

Also I recently got Chromecast and it has only worked ok for me once and suspect this is also somehow related to the poor wifi.

I also notice the Horizon box seems to be putting out a wireless signal because it appears in my list of networks, could this be interfering?

Otherwise, any other ideas ? I'd happily spend the cash to upgrade the router if I though it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Posted this in another thread but seems more appropriate here now (so apologies for duplication).
    I recently upgraded to UPC 240 MB with Horizon TV.
    I got the new box but continued to use the old Technicolour TC7200 modem due to the fact that I have a phone connected to it and it was too much hassle to reroute the cable.
    But since then the wifi performance seems to have deteriorated becoming slower and more variable with occasional drop outs.
    Speedtests show results normally between 5 and 10 MB with a fairly new laptop only a few feet away from the modem (so much lower than I see elsewhere in this thread)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5755 kbps (719.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 12296 kbps (1537 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 24 ms
    Jitter: 29 ms
    3/17/2015, 10:58:50 PM

When I connect with a cable I get close to the full 240 MB so the supply from UPC seems fine.

Also I recently got Chromecast and it has only worked ok for me once and suspect this is also somehow related to the poor wifi.

I also notice the Horizon box seems to be putting out a wireless signal because it appears in my list of networks, could this be interfering?

Otherwise, any other ideas ? I'd happily spend the cash to upgrade the router if I though it would work.

Sounds to me like a bad wifi channel. Try changing the channel to a higher number 10+ or try the 5GHZ and see how that goes.

admin
    admin

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gbur79

wilden wrote: »
    thanks a bunch for your response, download issue is not due to my equipment as I have a new 6 core amd fitted with gigbit card, new laptop fitted with gigabit card, when Engineer was with me all download speeds were fine, but drop out from 14:00 hrs onwards, and get worse as the evening goes on. Its their problem so I hope there is a lot of headscratching happening, but I assume that its the opposite ends that are being scratched. three weeks on and not notion of a resolution in sight

Same here 120/12 broadband (cable connection the way god wanted computer (not laptop) to be connected to router). After 18 pings are very high. I am constantly kicked out from servers (bf4) due to high ping. Day time its ok... Pings 40-50. I do not believe they have "fiber" broadband, why it is choking in the evenings?
    Tomorrow i'm getting my MSI gtx970 if its not solved till next week i'm getting Sky. I have time to use computer only in the evenings and that's the time when this crappy network doesn't work as it should...

Advertisement