Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime Time 10th March 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

Now that has my blood boiling, we got nowhere there on that... Looking forward to sending a mail to Tom Hayes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That was a farce.

O'Callaghan was biased though she tried not to show it, Willie was good, but too slow in speaking. McGrath used false and made up statictics and cries public safety for the sole purpose of elicting an emotional reaction.

Answer me this. How can McGrath hold a place on the review committee when all the evidence given to him and the committee show he is both wrong and using false and made up stats?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    What a **** interview. We were not prepared and had our arse handed to us. :-(

We were prepared fine, it was a completely biased report, nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Mcgrath...:

Too many guns
    150k illegal guns
    Suicides
    easy access to firearms...

He hasnt gotten a clue !

Hes a poster boy for AGS !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And the target shooting spokesman would throw his own Granny under the bus, to keep his interests safe.

• Advertisement

for all ye Twiiter heads ,get typing to RTE, O'Callaghan, McGrath, and the rest of the review committee.

Be polite but point out the farcical nature of the piece.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Well that was as awful as one might have expected. Mcgrath shooting his mouth off, Egan unable to get a word in edge ways. Loads of scary guns. Garda motivations going completely unchallenged and topped of with a sprinkling of gun victim accounts which have nothing to do with anything. And the report suggested at one stage that no shotguns would be effected.

Christ I despair sometimes.

What a **** interview. We were not prepared and had our arse handed to us. :-(

Agreed...we really needed someone who didn't need to refer to notes so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Strider wrote: »
    We were prepared fine, it was a completely biased report, nothing you can do about that.

No we were not. Maybe in our details, but not for McGrath. He owned the interview.

No we were not. Maybe in our details, but not for McGrath. He owned the interview.

How can you combat scaremongering like that? You can't.

The whole piece was slanted towards the anti gun side, O'Callaghan was even giving McGrath extra speaking time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

He talked utter ****e,and only got his point across because he talked over Egan assisted by O Callaghan.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

For once the shouty, mouthy, non factual stance worked.

Plus, and this is key, we are always working against the larger public opinion that guns are not necessary. Don't fool yourselves into thinking we have any support or favorable opinions. We don't. If there was a vote in the morning to ban guns, we would have to kiss them goodbye as the larger, uneducated public, don't know or care. They want them gone.

McGrath played his part well, by grand standing to this and working the emotional aspect rather than the factual (boring) one we have to work.

Speaks volumes as to how the review is going to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 loftypheasant

Another hatchet job by RTE. Wasn't really expecting anything else. McGrath was left off the leash completely in the interview. Eerie, spooky music in the background. Makes me warm inside to see this sort of programming paid for by my TV licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You might have done a better job.

Not a hope with that hatchet job.

The whole piece was slanted towards the anti gun side, O'Callaghan was even giving McGrath extra speaking time.

I agree O' Callaghan was biased, but for gods sake I was expecting the gun theft angle/suicide/false figure of thefts...so surely they could have had answers ready off the cuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caz25

Disappointing... No way you can win when the likes of McGrath are throwing false, populist statements and Willie Egan can't get a word in...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭archerforever

That solicitor was poor.....to slow to talk....to big words and then ran out of time and missed the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Been busy twittering till now.

McGrath's public-funded media training paid off. Even MHR would have done better than Egan (too used to having no time limit IMHO).

And the murder/stolen handgun link was in your face. healy went to town on this and the editing helped no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Healy implying the AGS were doing so well at combating the illegal guns the criminals were targeting the legal ones.......ffs what a joke.

That was baaad for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

I staryed typing about all McGrath went on about....but it turned into a big rant.

Fairly one sided and o callaghan didn't seem too neutral in the discussion.

• Advertisement

We were ****ed from the off, a chief super stating that 'they believe' all joe public heard was 'they know' and what was the story with asking how they feel after shooting the deer? What's that got to do with gun control?

jagged wrote: »
    I agree O' Callaghan was biased, but for gods sake I was expecting the gun theft angle/suicide/false figure of thefts...so surely they could have had answers ready off the cuff...

They went to go back to Willie Egan for his opinion and McGrath shouted him down and it was allowed by O'Callaghan.

Look at Sparks' post...this is one of the best spokespeople out there for the sport and he's telling you he couldn't have countered the freedom that McGrath was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I predicted a hatchet job ala 2008 and I'm not in the least bit surprised it was the same.Better start tweeting and emailing ladies!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Agreed it is difficult to combat but that is what we must endeavour to do. Joe public unfortunately laps up scare mongering in the absence of easily understandable fact.

Maybe we need to consider a media campaign. obviously it had its own difficulties.

Anyways I don't want to sound argumentative after all were on the same side ! Just a bit pi$$ed off, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

So what if they do. We know where our food comes from. Those two deer shooters were good representatives. Educated, well, soft spoken gents.
    oh now , i know they are , But didnt the sports collision made the point that they didnt want it to be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bpb101 wrote: »
    oh now , i know they are , But didnt the sports collision made the point that they didnt want it to be shown

It's no good if people think you've something to hide.

It's no good if people think you've something to hide.

Sure we're being made out to be loons that could snap at a moments notice even when we do let them in to see what we all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

When you're up against someone like McGrath, who will say anything to scare people into voting for him, you need to be a lot sharper. And you have to interrupt to challenge fantasy numbers if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sparks wrote: »
    Not a hope with that hatchet job.

Sparks, he got lost in his notes at one stage. Sorry if he's a friend of yours, but he faltered and didn't get to make his points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

So now the public ....

Think we are becoming like america!

That all guns are just left lying around in sheds

That people are being murdered with legal guns

And that its "easy to access" legal firearms.

And that theres no issue at all a tall with illegal guns! And that crinimals find it easier to steal farmers guns than just order in a few sub machine guns with next pallet of drugs

Bloody raging after that!

Advertisement