Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vat reclaim.

Options
  • 13-11-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Can vat be reclaimed on plant hire when building a slatted shed, such as welder generators

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

kelslat wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Can vat be reclaimed on plant hire when building a slatted shed, such as welder generators

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Yes

check again - vat cannot be claimed on machinery or tools only farm buildings/extensions, fencing and land reclamation/drainage..... on the other hand... how your invoices tally up and what they actually have printed on them is a different storey ;)

DD

check again - vat cannot be claimed on machinery or tools only farm buildings/extensions, fencing and land reclamation/drainage..... on the other hand... how your invoices tally up and what they actually have printed on them is a different storey ;)

DD

I'm sure the op is asking about tools/machinery which were hired for the construction of a farm building. I've reclaimed vat in that instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

I'm sure the op is asking about tools/machinery which were hired for the construction of a farm building. I've reclaimed vat in that instance.

Fair play f you did but the revenue website says different or else it just doesn't mention about the Hire of machinery/tools.

DD

From the website.....
    "Farmers who are not registered for VAT may reclaim VAT paid by them in relation to the construction, extension, alteration or reconstruction of farm buildings and structures or on land drainage and land reclamation. Claims for such repayment should be made on Form VAT 58. Such reclaims can be made for all VAT on such expenditure within the past four years. Applications for repayment must be submitted within four years from the end of the taxable period to which the claim relates. "

Fair play f you did but the revenue website says different or else it just doesn't mention about the Hire of machinery/tools.

DD

From the website.....
    "Farmers who are not registered for VAT may reclaim VAT paid by them in relation to the construction, extension, alteration or reconstruction of farm buildings and structures or on land drainage and land reclamation. Claims for such repayment should be made on Form VAT 58. Such reclaims can be made for all VAT on such expenditure within the past four years. Applications for repayment must be submitted within four years from the end of the taxable period to which the claim relates. "

Does that quote not confirm what I'm saying? "Vat paid by farmers in RELATION to the construction, extension, alteration or reconstruction of farm buildings
    eg. if I pay vat on the rent of a cherry picker for roofing a shed, then I can reclaim that vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You can obviously still only write off the value of the hire of the cherry picker etc over 8yrs then??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

vat can be reclaimed on any costs associated with the building of a shed/slatted house land reclamation or fencing. this would include the cost of machinery hired in to complete. if you buy the welder you couldn't claim vat on this

Surely we're only talking about hire here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Gard1 wrote: »
    vat can be reclaimed on any costs associated with the building of a shed/slatted house land reclamation or fencing. this would include the cost of machinery hired in to complete. if you buy the welder you couldn't claim vat on this

Surely a welder would be considered an associated cost if you were using it to make feed barriers or even weld say brackets onto frame of shed ? :confused::confused:

Sami23 wrote: »
    Surely a welder would be considered an associated cost if you were using it to make feed barriers or even weld say brackets onto frame of shed ? :confused::confused:

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Got the vat back on plant hire tools used for the shed build!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Yep, so did we. Including a cherry picker for re roofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

how long does a vat claim take now for payment after you have submitted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »

Was back to me within 2wks.

Quick question, are you able to claim back vat on things like drill bits/angle grinder blades, I'd classify them as a consumable used during building.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Was back to me within 2wks.

Quick question, are you able to claim back vat on things like drill bits/angle grinder blades, I'd classify them as a consumable used during building.
    ye, i brought invoices into accountant yesterday and he said they where fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

claim in since 6th of Dec & no word of anything

it's a fairly size able amount though & may be pushed to the bottom of the pile

how long are you waiting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

6 weeks the last vat58 on farm here but that was including Christmas

orm0nd wrote: »

i would be giving them a phone call. I didnt post mine yet, plan was to photocopy all the invoices last night but the electricity was off, will probably post on monday

posted my form etc 4 weeks ago, i got a letter to say it would be paid into my bank account after a week and nothing since, how long has anyone else been waiting?

posted my form etc 4 weeks ago, i got a letter to say it would be paid into my bank account after a week and nothing since, how long has anyone else been waiting?

4-6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

money in a/c 10th feb

best to ring them , got no letter here only the returned invoices with a note of reference number

money in a/c 10th feb

best to ring them , got no letter here only the returned invoices with a note of reference number

Ormond 6 Dec to 10 Feb is 8 weeks. allow 10 days over xmass and about 6 weeks

Whelan give till end of next week I say

Ormond 6 Dec to 10 Feb is 8 weeks. allow 10 days over xmass and about 6 weeks

Whelan give till end of next week I say
    if there was a problem would i have heard by now?

if there was a problem would i have heard by now?

totally, if a problem you would normally hear within 1-2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

if I get a digger to clear away gorse and brambles from a side of a hill, is that considered land reclamation?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

Claiming back VAT isn't always a no brainer. In most items linked to construction and reclamation, the VAT rate is 13.5%. For obvious construction costs (eg slats, concrete, shed etc) it is obvious that you are building a new facility and the tax write off is limited to capital allowances (ie depreciation).

The same thing applies if you are reclaiming land or doing drainage. Under the old Farm Improvement Programme there were accelerated capital allowances which meant, from memory that you could write off the entire cost of a new shed in 3 years. But now, if I am not mistaken, the write off is over minimum 7 years.

In this case, getting 13.5% back is not all that attractive when you consider that if you were maintaining drains rather than making new ones, you could write off the entire expenditure in the same year against income tax. At this point, the question is whether you will be paying tax at 52% or 31% or less?

Bending over backwards to get VAT back on consumables doesn't work all that well if you end up paying tax at 52% this year and maybe don't have a tax bill in future years.

BTW, apart from dairy farmers, there are a lot of cattle farmers who should really look at getting VAT registered. Especially if they have a lot of stock being bought and sold and have a lot of machinery around the place. But the only way to know is to examined maybe three years of accounts and do the math.

got a letter today, they threw out a few things, drill bits etc are not allowed to be claimed on

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

got a letter today, they threw out a few things, drill bits etc are not allowed to be claimed on

Grinder disks? Have had arguments before with them about such stuff, how can you build a fixed asset such as a shed without drill bits, grinder disks and welding rods?? You should call them and argue your case just for the pleasure of hearing their justifications!!!

KCTK wrote: »
    Grinder disks? Have had arguments before with them about such stuff, how can you build a fixed asset such as a shed without drill bits, grinder disks and welding rods?? You should call them and argue your case just for the pleasure of hearing their justifications!!!

same here. They don't allow the weighting scales now. because it can be unbolted and moved :D

I said sure my full shed is base plated and bolted down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

same here. They don't allow the weighting scales now. because it can be unbolted and moved :D

I said sure my full shed is base plated and bolted down :D

Won't allow weighing scales? That's crazy, sure I could unbolt most of my milking parlour in a day, sometimes I wonder do they just make things up as they go and then we can argue until we're blue in the face with them and still get no sense!!!!

Advertisement