Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting tips re keeping costs down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

L1011 wrote: »
    Depending on your bin provider, its sorted in Ireland instead and a larger amount than before is sorted automatically (magnets, magnetic flux, compressed air, huge variety of things). Was a multi-page article on Thorntons in the Irish Times a few years back detailing what they do.

Thorntons now take any level of clean plastic film as well which has hugely reduced my black bin usage, but as I already pay by weight rather than lift - which everyone will have to from the summer - hasn't done much to those costs.

That's great to hear!
    Although reducing packaging is always going to be on my to-do list. It can't be free to provide it, so I'm paying for it somewhere, either in the quality of the product, or the price itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Pwurple, I buy the fish in the supermarket from the fish counter (not prepackaged) but they can't hand it to me without any packaging, hence the plastic bags and polystrene tray!! To get to a 'real' butcher I'd have to spend money on petrol to drive to them so that doesn't work cost wise. And of course (slaps heads to forehead) you must shop in the English market, where only royalty shops! :D You lucky ducky you! Pity and pray for us poor shoppers here in the big Dublin sprawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Depending on your bin provider, its sorted in Ireland instead and a larger amount than before is sorted automatically (magnets, magnetic flux, compressed air, huge variety of things). Was a multi-page article on Thorntons in the Irish Times a few years back detailing what they do.

Thorntons now take any level of clean plastic film as well which has hugely reduced my black bin usage, but as I already pay by weight rather than lift - which everyone will have to from the summer - hasn't done much to those costs.

Is this for thorntons or everyone? I read something about this somewhere recently. Seems to fly in the face of recycling and turn a better profit, maybe its because people are recycling? Why would the weight of the same volume matter?, its not like they are hauling away lead (hopefully), no doubt my black bins weighs a lot when it goes out every 2 months as I am stamping it all down.
    I filter everything out that can be put in the green bin, its cleaned and flattened, I used to do this believing it might make a difference, which I no longer believe, I do it now because it saves me on cost from filling my black bin and because I want to be trying to make an effort to do something, no matter how pointless it is in saving the planet.

charging by weight is just a reaction to people falling in line after abiding by recycling. So surely the weight being processed is the same or even less than before?
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Pwurple, I buy the fish in the supermarket from the fish counter (not prepackaged) but they can't hand it to me without any packaging, hence the plastic bags and polystrene tray!! To get to a 'real' butcher I'd have to spend money on petrol to drive to them so that doesn't work cost wise. And of course (slaps heads to forehead) you must shop in the English market, where only royalty shops! :D You lucky ducky you! Pity and pray for us poor shoppers here in the big Dublin sprawl.

They dont really need to supply a plastic tray or polystyrene though, do they?
    Im sure thats just the format they do it in. I know superquinn used to do fish in heat sealed foil/paper/type material off a sheet or roll, although shopping there would eliminate any saving, you'd be doing you're bit for the environment.

I cant see how they can limit whats being processed anymore, I already only put the bin out between 6-8 weeks as Im filtering out recycleables, overall the weight is probably the same as if it was being removed fortnightly though as its just taking longer to fill.
    I pay per lift so it pays for me to do it this way.

The only way to make further savings is to reduce the amount of packaging but this wont necessarily reduce the amount of non recycleable material.

Same here pwurple. When we started recycling with the commercial companies (co. council gave it away!) we instinctively knew that we would do our utmost to save money by not putting the bins out every week, but we also knew that the more money we saved, the more the company would put the prices up, and they did!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cerastes wrote: »
    Is this for thorntons or everyone? I read something about this somewhere recently.

Everyone. EU directive I think, only covers non recycling. Not sure about food waste weight, I've not looked in to it extensively. What is the case is that near everyone will have to have a brown bin by this summer (areas over 1500 people I think) or next (areas over 150).

All the international comparisons, etc are done on weight not volume so that's why charges are based on it.

• Advertisement

Hah, yeah, me and the queen haggling over oxtail doncha know. :D

It might be worth your while to phone a few real butchers and ask about deliveries? I can think of two or three butchers around here who deliver for free, on orders over 30 quid. I sometimes order in bulk and freeze to do that.

And you can ask them to drop the polystyrene. What's that about.

pwurple wrote: »

It might be worth your while to phone a few real butchers and ask about deliveries? I can think of two or three butchers around here who deliver for free, on orders over 30 quid. I sometimes order in bulk and freeze to do that.

Naw, you won't get anything delivered free in our capital city (that I'm aware of). I used to get fish delivered but it was more expensive compared to the supermarket so I had to give it up, but also because by the time they got to me there was little choice left, even when I placed an order, so I found I was only getting the mangy bits of cod! I do pay for milk deliveries because we are a bit nostalgic that way and its always handy having someone calling so regularly, security-wise, especially with us older generation people. Ye don't know yer born down there with your free deliveries! Stop showing off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Naw, you won't get anything delivered free in our capital city (that I'm aware of).
    I have to disagree. Different market, but very useful free delivery service:

https://healthwave.ie/free-prescription-delivery-with-healthpass/

RainyDay wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Different market, but very useful free delivery service:

https://healthwave.ie/free-prescription-delivery-with-healthpass/

Yep, different market, but good to know. Maybe we need a separate thread for companies offering free delivery but without increasing their prices. Have you used Healthwave? Do you know if they charge any extra for their products?

It's an odd one. I can't speak for Dublin, but I've lived in large and small places and got deliveries arranged nearly everywhere I've lived. If we can get it in Cork, I'm not sure why Dublin suppliers wouldn't provide it. The dubs don't usually miss a trick. :)

Awesome money-savers to be had in any kind of garden. Apple trees, pear trees, fresh fruit and veg. You can even plant the stalks of some veg to buy, to regrow them. Spuds gone a bit sprouty? Whack em in the ground... wait a while... new spuds! Plant the base of a celery, it regrows into more celery. Same for onions, plant the root.

I know people with a pair of laying hens these days in urban areas. Hens are awesome for waste disposal, they hoover up kitchen waste and turn it into eggs! I'm not in the house enough to keep an eye on them, but if I was, I'd totally try it out.

Check out old war posters, they are full of tips for money saving.
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/inf13-143131.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe we need a separate thread for companies offering free delivery but without increasing their prices. Have you used Healthwave? Do you know if they charge any extra for their products?

Its pretty much a given that "free" delivery is built in to prices. Something has to pay for it.

Healthwave's marketing is based on being cheaper than other pharmacies, but there's nobody else selling on an equivalent basis to compare prices with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Its not free for everyone.

hang on, people are getting their recycling collected for free ?
    where the hell is this ? it costs me €5.50 per bin :mad:

Yep, different market, but good to know. Maybe we need a separate thread for companies offering free delivery but without increasing their prices. Have you used Healthwave? Do you know if they charge any extra for their products?

Yes, I've been a Healthwave customer for over a year now, saving over €200 on my annual medication bill.
    Its pretty much a given that "free" delivery is built in to prices. Something has to pay for it.
    The price is the same whether they deliver to your door or you call in to pick up. The only limitation is no more than four deliveries a year, so if you get 3 months supply of medication each time, it's a no brainer.
    Healthwave's marketing is based on being cheaper than other pharmacies, but there's nobody else selling on an equivalent basis to compare prices with.
    Apart from just about every other pharmacy in the country selling equivalent products at much higher prices?

The price is the same whether they deliver to your door or you call in to pick up. The only limitation is no more than four deliveries a year, so if you get 3 months supply of medication each time, it's a no brainer.

Apart from just about every other pharmacy in the country selling equivalent products at much higher prices?

Their prices still include the delivery - the vans don't get driven by volunteers and run on air. There is no such thing as a free delivery - you've paid for it, somewhere.

There isn't another pharmacy doing membership based pricing let alone one not offering shipping to compare to

Their prices still include the delivery - the vans don't get driven by volunteers and run on air. There is no such thing as a free delivery - you've paid for it, somewhere.
    They don't have vans, they use a courier. They are paying something between €8-€10 per shipment (ex-vat), depending on volume, based on my recent experience.

You pay the same price for the product, with or without delivery.
    There isn't another pharmacy doing membership based pricing let alone one not offering shipping to compare to

Are you just trying to be pedantic, or argumentative? They are cheaper than any other pharmacy in the State. They have cut my drugs bill in half, saving €200 pa. A family member is saving €1,000 over what he used to pay to his local chemist. You can spin it however you like, but they are cheaper than any other pharmacy in the State. That's the information that consumers need to know.

yes of course, but sometimes you have to weigh up whether it is cheaper for the delivery cost, or for you to drive there, spend time getting your stuff and drive home again. There may be economies to be had with their van going out to 30 people in one area doing a delivery, rather than those 30 individual people driving 30 times back and forth to the shop.

They don't have vans, they use a courier. They are paying something between €8-€10 per shipment (ex-vat), depending on volume, based on my recent experience.

You pay the same price for the product, with or without delivery.

Meaning that every single product sold to anyone is subsidising the cost of delivery.
    Are you just trying to be pedantic, or argumentative? They are cheaper than any other pharmacy in the State. They have cut my drugs bill in half, saving €200 pa. A family member is saving €1,000 over what he used to pay to his local chemist. You can spin it however you like, but they are cheaper than any other pharmacy in the State. That's the information that consumers need to know.

No, I'm trying to point out that no matter how much there is a claim of "free delivery", you're paying for it in the price. A Healthwave clone that didn't offer free delivery would be able to charge cheaper prices - latching on the fact that there isn't a clone doesn't change this.

Takeaways with "free delivery" have higher prices than takeaways without, online retailers with "free delivery" are dearer than those that charge, etc. Can often be cheaper to use somewhere without "free" delivery and pay the going rate for both the items and the delivery.

Meaning that every single product sold to anyone is subsidising the cost of delivery.

No, I'm trying to point out that no matter how much there is a claim of "free delivery", you're paying for it in the price. A Healthwave clone that didn't offer free delivery would be able to charge cheaper prices - latching on the fact that there isn't a clone doesn't change this.

Takeaways with "free delivery" have higher prices than takeaways without, online retailers with "free delivery" are dearer than those that charge, etc. Can often be cheaper to use somewhere without "free" delivery and pay the going rate for both the items and the delivery.

You can dance around it all you like, but the facts are that their costs haven't changed since they introduced the 'free delivery' service. The medication costs were the same before an after. Your theoretical 'Healthwave clone' doesn't exist, so the relevant comparison to any consumer is the price they pay at any other pharmacy, compared to the price they pay at Healthwave.

This isn't a Leaving Cert Biz Org question. It's the real world.

This seems like rather extreme pushing of Healthwave at this point and little else

This seems like rather extreme pushing of Healthwave at this point and little else

Just the facts, my friend - no more and no less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Eh! if they're cheaper then they're cheaper. I'm only reading illogical 'pushing against' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

pwurple wrote: »

a butcher calls to us every thursday, he has a van set up especially for the job, he has a reasonable amount of meat, all pre packed h&s i assume

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cheese that's gone hard. Use a vegetable peeler to cut thin slices to top up a pizza.

Speaking of pizza's when Aldi/ Lidl do peppers or mushrooms or whatever you like on the cheap you can use them as a topping and freeze what you don't use for later. I go with Aldi's four cheese pizza yes it's a few cent more expensive than the three pack but IMHO it's worth it. You can also get a spice jar of oregano for 35c .

If you want lots of spices then head to eurasia supermarkets. A 100g bag of crushed chilli can make lots of pizza's spicy and IIRC was about 70c.

Beer is nice with a spicy pizza. The trick with cheap supermarket beer is to have it really,really cold.

If you turn a frozen pizza upside down and score deeply with a knife you can then break it in half. You don't always need to eat a whole pizza.

Saving a few pennies like that means you can then splash out on the Aldi smoked cheddar, but it's addictive.

Cheapest place to get anchovies was the small jars that supervalue used to sell but haven't seen them in a few months, otherwise pick up some in Lidl unless anyone knows better ?

Another tip is try to do all the shopping in one continuous loop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Holy BoBo wrote: »
    I don't have black bags as I am self sufficient when it comes to waste disposal as I have outlined.

Why are you flushing good dog food down the drain? I boil it all up and give it to the dog any waste from the dog gets flushed down the drain, or thrown into the local river, so its a win win.

Coursera: Free online courses
    https://www.coursera.org/

Free food from forest walks: Blackberries. Wild garlic. Wild strawberries. Hazelnuts. Mushrooms (if you know what you're doing). Plus it is a nice cheap day out with family and a bit of exercise. Who needs a gym.

Ditch tv subscriptions: I got a chromecast on sale. it plays youtube, netflix (which I share with my extended family), vevo to my tv. Don't need any aerial or sat dish for that lot. No sky subscription etc.

Library: They have way more than just books. DVDs, CDs, newspapers. All for the cost of your membership... mine is 2 euro per year.

Project gutenberg: Free ebooks
    https://www.gutenberg.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

I second Coursera. Or Futurelearn.com. And learning with massive open online courses in general. Check out mooc-list.com for more such terrific freebie courses. Great fun too. Well, if you're a swot like me!

And the library... They've improved so much. Even have free audio books in mp3, CD and other formats. Plus free wifi, of course. And newspapers and magazines. Oh, and books.

Charity shops often have great books-even vintage ones. And Chapters Bookshop in Parnell st has a superb secondhand bookshop upstairs.

Get a free kindle app for your phone/ipad and download free books from Gutenberg press. Or at least pay less for ebooks than paperbacks.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Why are you flushing good dog food down the drain? I boil it all up and give it to the dog any waste from the dog gets flushed down the drain, or thrown into the local river, so its a win win.

You throw your dogs waste into the local river? :eek: why?
    At that rate, we could advise people to burn their rubbish, saves on having it disposed of by paying for it to be removed, win win, I hear the engine oil goes in the drains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

cerastes wrote: »
    I hear the engine oil goes in the drains too.

Used engine oil is accepted free of charge by the Councils recycling centres.

brian_t wrote: »
    Used engine oil is accepted free of charge by the Councils recycling centres.
    I know, I wasn't being serious, although I saw someone doing that once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

When boiling the kettle for a cuppa, use the excess hot water to wash a pot or pan. Saves on water, electricity, washing machine detergent pollution ...and time (You can do it while you're standing around waiting for the tea to brew).

Good frugallers wouldn't boil more than the bare cup!;)

Advertisement