Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf club membership cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Loire wrote: »
    That could do very, very well ;)

I agree. If they do a good job the central location could mean a very nice earner for them and a great facility for the rest of us. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

bailey99 wrote: »
    some great deals around cork in fairness next year. Lots of clubs around and under the 800 euro mark.

Kinsale, Cobh, Muskerry, Blarney, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Mallow, Macroom.

Great deals to for clubs within an hour of the tunnel, like West Waterford, Gold Coast, Dungarvan, Cahir Park, Ballykisteen, Thurles, Dundrum.

Since when is Muskerry and Blarney under €800
    The fee is closer to €1200 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

soundsham wrote: »

Muskerry has reduced their fee to €800 for new entries. i think it goes up after that.

Macroom is around 400 for new members and i think that is great value its only 30 mins from the city

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I agree. If they do a good job the central location could mean a very nice earner for them and a great facility for the rest of us. Fingers crossed.

i would be very interested in this too really convenient for me for work and god knows the short game needs work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

slingerz wrote: »
    i would be very interested in this too really convenient for me for work and god knows the short game needs work!!

would certainly be good, when i was in cork for a year with work i joined the Fota academy, until one evening i went up to practice and was asked ot leave because i was wearing tracksuit bottoms, they were in fact expensive adidas rain pants, plain black no stripes, the pro wouldn't hear of it and said i should leave and adhere to the dress code in future. Never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

soundsham wrote: »

Muskerry cut prices this year. Blarney for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Monkstown dropped their sub by €60 to €1390 this year . I guess it's on the back of all the new members they took in .

4 of us contacted the clubs for prices and have decided on Mitchelstown for the year. Vey good track, friendly clubhouse and a good rate so we'll happy with our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

4 of us contacted the clubs for prices and have decided on Mitchelstown for the year. Vey good track, friendly clubhouse and a good rate so we'll happy with our choice.

Great club Bailey, always love playing there and opens practically every week. In fact playing there tomorrow myself. Lucky for me though I switched this year from a Slievenamon distance membership (which by the way was brilliant for me for the last two years) to another full membership of a North Cork club. Otherwise if I was ever playing with you in the open singles at Mitchelstown you would have refused to sign my card.........

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

grip n rip wrote: »
    Theres an almighty wiff of snobbery associated with this debate . Golf is no longer the preserve of the professional elite - its now a game for all and its only because of this that many clubs are still open . If the scorned upon "distance" members didn't go and play open comps then im sure there would be manys the timesheet looking pretty blank in most clubs open days .

This idea that you have to be a full member of a well regarded club to be viewed upon with anything other than scorn is just pathetic , why pay €800+ for something when you can get the same results spending €200ish to a smaller club who would be well glad of your custom. Sure there are bandits but thats just human nature - greed is a deadly sin isnt it ? Its very unfair and snobbish to look down your nose and condemn somebody just because they have joined one of these clubs.

And lastly is finding a bargain and saving a few bob ok in every walk of life except golf ? Down from the lofty pedestal lads - its just a passtime .

T

Very true , However how many courses in Cork have Opens every weekend? I work full time and had a distance membership before but could never use it on the weekend living in Cork. Lee Valley on a Monday in the Summer and Castlemartyr on a Tuesday/Wednesday? I work 40 hours a week and could not make these opens. So in the end I joined Lee Valley because they have competitions every weekend without travelling for half the day. So in the end you dont get something the same for €200 unless you live in Dublin where there is an open competition every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Very true , However how many courses in Cork have Opens every weekend? I work full time and had a distance membership before but could never use it on the weekend living in Cork. Lee Valley on a Monday in the Summer and Castlemartyr on a Tuesday/Wednesday? I work 40 hours a week and could not make these opens. So in the end I joined Lee Valley because they have competitions every weekend without travelling for half the day. So in the end you dont get something the same for €200 unless you live in Dublin where there is an open competition every weekend.

Mitchelstown for one is a course that has an open practically every weekend unless of course it is Captain's or President's Prize. Great value always. 14 holes open there at the moment and €12 euro entry for visitors Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Cant complain with that.

How much is Lee Valley for membership these days? I heard they reduced the subs a bit this year.

How much is Lee Valley for membership these days? I heard they reduced the subs a bit this year.

Its still the same up to this point. They do a monthly membership for €92 so it suits a lot of people.
    Honestly if I was playing Mitchelstown every week in an open I would just get membership there. In Lee Valley the social scene is very good. You'll always get people who will go in for a cup of tea or a sneaky pint. There's a few carpark golfers but you'll get that everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

grip n rip wrote: »
    Theres an almighty wiff of snobbery associated with this debate . Golf is no longer the preserve of the professional elite - its now a game for all and its only because of this that many clubs are still open . If the scorned upon "distance" members didn't go and play open comps then im sure there would be manys the timesheet looking pretty blank in most clubs open days .

This idea that you have to be a full member of a well regarded club to be viewed upon with anything other than scorn is just pathetic , why pay €800+ for something when you can get the same results spending €200ish to a smaller club who would be well glad of your custom. Sure there are bandits but thats just human nature - greed is a deadly sin isnt it ? Its very unfair and snobbish to look down your nose and condemn somebody just because they have joined one of these clubs.

And lastly is finding a bargain and saving a few bob ok in every walk of life except golf ? Down from the lofty pedestal lads - its just a passtime .

T

Some people dont look at it as a passtime and look at it more of a sport and want to be competitive. Not ALL but some of the courses ive played where the membership is cheap the course tends to be in only ok condition and green keepers seem to make basic errors like putting the tee box markers on a slope and been uneven etc. Another is Bunkers been like concrete and never maintained. Another beauty is weekend hackers who dont know rules (not all cos i dont know therm just basics again) going around in tracksuit pants and soccer jersey and spend more time talking then Golfing. Then a quick 2ball asks to play thru and told "no sure ye have only 2 aswell bai relax, its not the PGA at all" not taking in the fact they spend most of the round looking for balls.

So i would guess thats why people dont want to waste money that way and would invest a bit more where these things wont happen and join a different club or snobby club as its been referred too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ras trent

Dossy wrote: »
    Some people dont look at it as a passtime and look at it more of a sport and want to be competitive. Not ALL but some of the courses ive played where the membership is cheap the course tends to be in only ok condition and green keepers seem to make basic errors like putting the tee box markers on a slope and been uneven etc. Another is Bunkers been like concrete and never maintained. Another beauty is weekend hackers who dont know rules (not all cos i dont know therm just basics again) going around in tracksuit pants and soccer jersey and spend more time talking then Golfing. Then a quick 2ball asks to play thru and told "no sure ye have only 2 aswell bai relax, its not the PGA at all" not taking in the fact they spend most of the round looking for balls.

So i would guess thats why people dont want to waste money that way and would invest a bit more where these things wont happen and join a different club or snobby club as its been referred too

You can be competitive either way , competitiveness isn't the preserve of full members of a well to do club . Also wouldnt agree that courses that have cheap membership are in worse conditions , and as for your example of the lads in track suits ive never come across that in 20+ years playing . Where did that happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Boards golfing society are very welcoming if its of interest. A number of players in the Cork area you could pool with.
    Tippman10 wrote: »
    Cheers lads, I wouldn't be put off by that, Brady might still come back to me but it's not looking too good!

I often end up going out on my own so a good friendly club where you can join up with a few other players would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

cairny wrote: »
    Where in Cork will you be? If it's the city area then thre are loads of options.

Most clubs do country membership so pick a course you like and contact them. I know Cobh is €200 for country membership which is a very good deal for a pretty decent standard course.

Coming back to thinking about this for this year. Never played it. Would be interested in any thoughts/experiences of course/club. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

alxmorgan wrote:
    Coming back to thinking about this for this year. Never played it. Would be interested in any thoughts/experiences of course/club. thanks

I've only played it half a dozen times every time I've been well impressed with the place. Can get windy, front 9 the better 9 imo, great par 3 10th, clubhouse very welcoming, playable all year round. Actually hope there's a good uptake on all membership there...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does any club around Cork City rent\hire clubs for round?

No clubs with me as I'm off this week itching for a royund .

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Does any club around Cork City rent\hire clubs for round?

No clubs with me as I'm off this week itching for a royund .

Thanks in advance

All with a pro shop would I'd say. Mallow will anyway, Open Comps Wednesday and Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cairny wrote: »
    All with a pro shop would I'd say. Mallow will anyway, Open Comps Wednesday and Friday.

Cheers

Cheers

Little point asking on here I would advise. I wouldn't be rocking up at a place looking to hire clubs, ring the pro shop so they can have a set ready at least & you might get a better price.

If you walk into a pro shop and he says €40 say for clubs, what bargaining power do you have. You staying there with your proverbials in your hand!!!

Ring up the pro shop, ask and then haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Youghal GC are offering 1 year membership for 380 or 860 (iirc) for two years for new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Any deals around at the moment?

I'm based in the Silversprings area, looking to move club possibly. Open to all suggestions within a 30 minute drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

big_drive wrote: »

I'm based in the Silversprings area, looking to move club possibly. Open to all suggestions within a 30 minute drive

Mallow or Cobh would be the obvious choices I'd say. Mallow is 699 not sure about Cobh, around the same I think. Muskerry has a deal for year one but it goes back up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I was thinking about Lee Valley too as its fast now along the link and i like the course. Any Lee Valley members here, whats it like there at present?

I was thinking about Lee Valley too as its fast now along the link and i like the course. Any Lee Valley members here, whats it like there at present?

Lee Valley is in great nick at the moment. Work nearly complete on a number of tee boxes. Greens are getting better every week. They were fast the weekend gone but they will get faster. Monthly repayments and no joining fee also a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

I've always played quite well there so enjoy the course. Is that new tee boxes going in? Or just improving old ones?

aster99 wrote: »
    I've always played quite well there so enjoy the course. Is that new tee boxes going in? Or just improving old ones?

They have improved a number of tee boxes. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, and 14th so far. More due an upgrade next year.

• Advertisement

Macroom is a good option not far with the link

Advertisement