Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Neighbour got hers. We didn't.
    I called them for her, changed her plan and saved €60.

Still with GH? I thought you'd leave them and not return. Over 2 years since this thread started and GH are still behind me. I intend to keep it that way. I am with CB. No problems to date. Was with Oxigen, but too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 m6219

We tried to register with Greyhound (bag collection service) last week but after reading today the comments here and also google reviews we have gone with Citybin.
    We emailed DCCBAGS at greyhoundrecycling dot com to register (as advised on their website) last Tuesday and got no reply but we dodged a bullet by the looks of it. CB responded immediately as opposed to waiting days to hear back from GH, which doesn't bode well for future service if they don't even respond promptly to new customer registrations?

m6219 wrote: »
    We tried to register with Greyhound (bag collection service) last week but after reading today the comments here and also google reviews we have gone with Citybin.
    We emailed DCCBAGS at greyhoundrecycling dot com to register (as advised on their website) last Tuesday and got no reply but we dodged a bullet by the looks of it. CB responded immediately as opposed to waiting days to hear back from GH, which doesn't bode well for future service if they don't even respond promptly to new customer registrations?

Definitely dodged a bullet. Im with citybin and havent even considered changing. Price is fair. They send recycling reports monthly and my bins have always been collected on the right day and left back where they found them.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I'm moving in to a flat in the DCC area(Portobello area, off the SCR). Recyclable waste is handled communally by the landlord, but speaking to my neighbour, the 'black' waste is bag collection that the tenant organises for themselves. Greyhound is one option, apparently I can register by emailing them(as a previous poster said) and then you I can buy the branded bags for the purpose from the local Spar.

What are the other options? I tried City Bin, but from their site it looks like they only do wheelie bins, or at least that's what the wording implies when I go through the signup process using "South Circular Road"(it doesn't know my street apparently)

Bump? Finding this very confusing, I think Greyhound is the only option, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had a couple of door-to-door salesmen call round offering Greyhound bins for €12 per month for a year and then €99 for the following year. No weight restrictions and they give you 2 brown and green bins. Sent them on their way.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Bump? Finding this very confusing, I think Greyhound is the only option, right?

We're in a bag area and Greyhound is the only option for us. We don't pay them for recycling though, we take our recycling ourselves to the city council depot for free.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion and called them up to set up an account there today. Thanks!

The other poster was right, they don't seem to respond to the 'dccbags' email address, not very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They're a truly wretched company, with an inept service, run by complete arseholes.

Unfortunately they are the only option for a lot of people as their next competitor, Citibin, only handle wheelie bins and there are people who don't have the space for that.

God be with the days when the council did the job. It was much, MUCH better.

What exactly is the payment card for? I assumed you top it up, then you present it at shops and buy the burgundy bags using credit on the card.

But at my local Spar, they loaded €20 on it, but then when I went to buy the bags, they told me the card wasn't needed, and they just charged me cash for the bags. Very confused(and possibly out €20) right now.

• Advertisement

What exactly is the payment card for? I assumed you top it up, then you present it at shops and buy the burgundy bags using credit on the card.

But at my local Spar, they loaded €20 on it, but then when I went to buy the bags, they told me the card wasn't needed, and they just charged me cash for the bags. Very confused(and possibly out €20) right now.

It is a donation for the christmas party :pac:

Honestly, i don't know and tbh, they probably don't know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I just pay cash in the local Centra. When the new bags came in first, they used to ask if I had it. I just said (truthfully) that I'd lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Had a couple of door-to-door salesmen call round offering Greyhound bins for €12 per month for a year and then €99 for the following year. No weight restrictions and they give you 2 brown and green bins. Sent them on their way.....

Got the same offer the other day. Am with Oxygen who are pulling out of the area so needed to switch.

Leaflet said...New management, any missed bins collected within 48 hours, no
    charge if bins aren't lifted etc etc

Gave them a call, 2 weeks later still waiting on call back:rolleyes:
    Tells you all you need to know about Greyhound. Even when you call to give them your business they mess that up. Not worth the hassle dealing with these jokers.

Roll on Citybin!!

The triumph of privatisation.

:/

Tony EH wrote: »
    The triumph of privatisation.

:/

I'd call it a case book lesson of how NOT to run a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sosq

Any good deal for Springfield in Tallaght. Contract is over in next few weeks with thortons so need to find something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'd call it a case book lesson of how NOT to run a company.

I presume they're making enough profit (or they'd be gone from the scene by now!) and not breaking laws so that is "success" as far as capitalism is concerned!
    The city council are to blame for this. Service should either not have been privatised or council should have handled tender/performance monitoring of the service for the whole city instead of effectively saying "we're fed up doing that job [formerly one of our core roles] - good luck!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Has anyone else been unable to buy the Greyhound recycling bags over the past few weeks? Every shop I've tried in the D7 area tells me they're out of stock, and that apparently nobody is able to get those bags at the moment from the supplier. Anyone know of a shop, preferably in either D1 or D7, that currently has them in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Has anyone else been unable to buy the Greyhound recycling bags over the past few weeks? Every shop I've tried in the D7 area tells me they're out of stock, and that apparently nobody is able to get those bags at the moment from the supplier. Anyone know of a shop, preferably in either D1 or D7, that currently has them in stock?

Daybreak newsagent in Phibsborough, opposite the shopping centre, seem to always have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Any hints as to where a good place to buy bags around Phibsborough is?

Tried Daybreak but they only had recycling and Spar but they don't seem to sell them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This is the official retailer list but I often find they don't have them so I've been getting Abbey bags recently in Dublin 8.

https://greyhound.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/RetailorList.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Lux23 wrote: »
    This is the official retailer list but I often find they don't have them so I've been getting Abbey bags recently in Dublin 8.

They only seem to pick up in the South side. Things aren't bad enough for me lug my rubbish to work for disposal....not yet anyway. First time dealing with this after 15 years in apartments. It really shouldn't be this much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anybody get replies from info@greyhound.ie Between last year and this year I have sent 3-5 e-mails and got no replies to any.

I get the auto answer but nothing after that. Anybody the same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Joe Duffy's show today ran with the headline that some Greyhound customers had started to receive notification of a new 'fair usage' policy i.e. if your brown or black bin have more than 10kgs per week, you paid 30c extra per kilo. Apparently this could add hundreds €'s to bills.

I've received nothing from them and only recently topped up my a/c to leave enough credit in it for the next 12 months. No mention of changes to the t&c's when I did the top up

Expect it to get worse. Fine Gael proposed a "price freeze" last year after a debacle with charges going up by ridiculous levels. That freeze is about to end soon.

Should never have been privatised in the first place. Still a shambles.

Got a similar notice from City Bin re my Brown Bin. I now have a 40kg allowance and everything over is charged at €0.40c per kilo.

Cutting the lawn every couple of days now so I don't have to collect the grass. But it's a PITA! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Alivia Witty Satire

jay0109 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy's show today ran with the headline that some Greyhound customers had started to receive notification of a new 'fair usage' policy i.e. if your brown or black bin have more than 10kgs per week, you paid 30c extra per kilo. Apparently this could add hundreds €'s to bills.

I've received nothing from them and only recently topped up my a/c to leave enough credit in it for the next 12 months. No mention of changes to the t&c's when I did the top up

That explains the call I received today from a researcher on joe duffy. i never called back

Edit
    Found this https://greyhound.ie/pricing-options-plans/

https://www.citybin.com/signup/

That explains the call I received today from a researcher on joe duffy. i never called back

I got the same call !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Fair usage letter - mine says I'm allowed 42kg per month and get charged 30c per extra kg - I think 21kg was the lowest black bin weight in the past year in our house.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Fair usage letter - mine says I'm allowed 42kg per month and get charged 30c per extra kg - I think 21kg was the lowest black bin weight in the past year in our house.

Ring Joe- they're looking for people who got the letter

Advertisement