Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best debut album in the last 20 years

• 28-02-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭

Been spending much of this morning listening to 'Young Team' by Mogwai, released in 1997. All things considered, it's my favourite debut album of the last two decades. Fantastic musicianship for a band so young (at the time), still sounds as relevant today as it did then and it contains the mighty 'Mogwai Fear Satan'. There have been many others - 'Funeral', Turn On The Bright Lights', 'Is This It'.
    So what's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A few I really like:
    Innerspeaker - Tame Impala
    Post Nothing - Japandroids
    Yuck - Yuck
    Endroducing - DJ Shadow
    F#A#Infinity - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    The End Of History - Fionn Regan
    The Big Roar - The Joy Formidable
    Crazy For You - Best Coast
    Alas I Cannot Swim - Laura Marling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I am not sure I can think of much better than Young Team or Funeral which is odd. I assumed I'd have a whole string of possible contenders.

Fever to Tell would be up there for me and Fever Ray is in with a shout although I'm not sure if it's fair to include solo/side projects off established artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

An Awesome Wave

Fleet Foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Avalanches - so good they haven't been able to make a follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Would have to be funeral for me.That album back in 2001 was unlike most stuff I was listening to back then and its still imo their most consistent album albeit with a few tracks that I would skip if listening to it its entirety (Crown of love for one).
    A few other favoured albums that spring to mind..

roksopp -Melody AM
    Battles -Mirrored
    jj72-jj72

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

2001? Knew that didn't sound correct but had to check.

Was there any big reason behind the 5 month gap between the US and European release of Funeral?

Crazy to think that it would have been 10 years ago, give or take a day or two, when I first listened to the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

S.M.B. wrote: »
    2001? Knew that didn't sound correct but had to check.

Was there any big reason behind the 5 month gap between the US and European release of Funeral?

Crazy to think that it would have been 10 years ago, give or take a day or two, when I first listened to the album.

You are correct with your timing thought it was earlier..Not sure as to delay ..possibly playing catch up based on not expected success?

Funeral is the debut studio album by the Canadian indie rock band Arcade Fire, released on September 14, 2004 in North America by Merge Records and on February 28, 2005 in Europe by Rough Trade Records.

According to the website Metacritic, the album had the second most appearances on end-of-decade Top 10 lists, only behind Radiohead's Kid A..

Mmh well lets not start that debate ..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The Strokes - Is This It - Fantastic debut album, it sort of did suffer I suppose some over exposure by a lot of music head luvvies in the industry, but cracking album, brilliant pop rock songs. They only released 4 singles off that album but the remaining songs could also rank along side those single releases too. Not a duff track on that album

The Longpigs - The Sun Is Often Out - A very underrated album from one of Sheffields finest, Crispin Hunts vocals are fantastic and the songs are dark but utilmately hypnotic. The single "On and On" is the greatest anti-love song of all time,honest but brutal in its approach. This band was one of Richard Hawleys early incarnations and its a shame that they went their seperate ways after the equally but amazing follow up , "Mobile Home" . Would love to seem them reunite and do a tour....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

'Whatever People say I am, that's what I'm not' was absolutely bloody fantastic at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

The Strokes - Is This It - Fantastic debut album, it sort of did suffer I suppose some over exposure by a lot of music head luvvies in the industry, but cracking album, brilliant pop rock songs. They only released 4 singles off that album but the remaining songs could also rank along side those single releases too. Not a duff track on that album

Pretty much this for me.
    So consistent and memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Fennesz - Hotel Paral.lel
    Heterotic - Weird Drift
    Tropic of Cancer - Restless Idylls
    Kuedo - Severant
    Dalhous - An Ambassador for Laing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

So many I could choose from.

The Radio Dept. - Lesser Matters
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Camera Obscura - Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi
    The Joy Formidable - A Balloon Called Moaning
    Lamb - Lamb
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#oo
    Le Tigre - Le Tigre
    The Postal Service - The Postal Service
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
    The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭mosstin

Suas11 wrote: »
    A few I really like:
    Innerspeaker - Tame Impala
    Post Nothing - Japandroids
    Yuck - Yuck
    Endroducing - DJ Shadow
    F#A#Infinity - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    The End Of History - Fionn Regan
    The Big Roar - The Joy Formidable
    Crazy For You - Best Coast
    Alas I Cannot Swim - Laura Marling
    daUbiq wrote: »
    Fennesz - Hotel Paral.lel
    Heterotic - Weird Drift
    Tropic of Cancer - Restless Idylls
    Kuedo - Severant
    Dalhous - An Ambassador for Laing
    So many I could choose from.

The Radio Dept. - Lesser Matters
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Camera Obscura - Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi
    The Joy Formidable - A Balloon Called Moaning
    Lamb - Lamb
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#oo
    Le Tigre - Le Tigre
    The Postal Service - The Postal Service
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
    The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

And if you were pressed to pick one........

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

A lot of great debuts mentioned so far, I would add Music Has the Right to Children by Boards of Canada to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Is This It - The Strokes
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Original Pirate Material - The Streets
    Up The Bracket - The Libertines

All great debut albums that these bands never bettered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Not an Indie fan but I bought the Strokes first album as its cover was great.

Christ, top class album. Still sounds fresh and someone said the album is so consistant.

A+ imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

mosstin wrote: »
    Not an easy task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

1977 by Ash, not counting their mini album 'Trailer'

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭DaithiMa

Django Django
    vampire weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭DaithiMa

Django Django
    vampire weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

mosstin wrote: »

Funeral blew me away. I was raving about it to everyone before it broke in Europe. No one listened.
    Lamb would be second on this list.

Add in:
    xx
    Jagged Little Pill, the angriest woman in the world
    Miseducation of Lauren Hill
    Definately Maybe
    Is This It
    O

I could go on all night and would probably change my mind tomorrow

The Longpigs - The Sun Is Often Out - A very underrated album from one of Sheffields finest, Crispin Hunts vocals are fantastic and the songs are dark but utilmately hypnotic. The single "On and On" is the greatest anti-love song of all time,honest but brutal in its approach. This band was one of Richard Hawleys early incarnations and its a shame that they went their seperate ways after the equally but amazing follow up , "Mobile Home" . Would love to seem them reunite and do a tour....

Richard Hawley's Late Night Final is also excellent, not sure whether it is a debut as he had a solo mini album out at the time. Love these threads as the make you dig out something you have not listened to in yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Moontorisfar

Scenes from the Second Storey by the God Machine, came out in 1991 on Fiction. Awesome, intense, somewhere between and beyond RATM, Janes Addiction, Cure, Pumpkins.

Founded in California but moved to London before they got picked up...a bit like Hendrix!

They only released one more album and then their drummer died from a brain haemorrhage. First album was the better one though, think they got a lot out of their collective system.

For Irish bands, probably the Stunning's Paradise in the Picturehouse, although it was only about 25 minutes long. Otherwise, Shoulder Voices by Rollerskate skinny. I also loved An a Emotional Fish' eponymous debut, at the time, though I can barely tolerate it now.

Scenes from the Second Storey by the God Machine, came out in 1991 on Fiction. Awesome, intense, somewhere between and beyond RATM, Janes Addiction, Cure, Pumpkins.

Founded in California but moved to London before they got picked up...a bit like Hendrix!

They only released one more album and then their drummer died from a brain haemorrhage. First album was the better one though, think they got a lot out of their collective system.

For Irish bands, probably the Stunning's Paradise in the Picturehouse, although it was only about 25 minutes long. Otherwise, Shoulder Voices by Rollerskate skinny. I also loved An a Emotional Fish' eponymous debut, at the time, though I can barely tolerate it now.

Had to throw on Celebrate after reading this. Still good but does not have the same impact. Still like grey matter. Have you listened to Jerry Fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I honestly think Is This It ranks up there with The Velvet Underground & Nico.

It might be the best debut ever.

Room on Fire was brilliant too, but the less said about their work since the better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Well those debuts came after the 20 year category mentioned in the thread, Paradise In The Picturehouse came out around 1991-ish I think and "Shoulder Voices" was released in 1993, I know what your saying though, 2 very good debut Irish albums

Sorry, missed the 20 year caveat. I am probably too old to have a clue, other than that the Strokes is the wrong answer, even if it is "all about opinions".

Leftism then.

Released 1995. Evreeting shipshape an fine.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Had to throw on Celebrate after reading this. Still good but does not have the same impact. Still like grey matter. Have you listened to Jerry Fish?

Yeah, largely unimpressed. AEF were always best live though, particularly Ger, and I've lived abroad since 92, so never seen JF live.

Listened to Celebrate myself tonight, and the bizarre Italian cover, but I always preferred Gray Matter and Lace Virginia...only found out recently that Kate Moss was in the video for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Whipping Boy - Heartworm.

Almost 20 years on now and still sounds as good today.
    It can be bitter-sweet listening to it at times thinking about what could have been for the band.

• Advertisement

Whipping Boy - Heartworm.

Almost 20 years on now and still sounds as good today.
    It can be bitter-sweet listening to it at times thinking about what could have been for the band.

They built portholes for Bono, so he could gaze
    Out across the bay and sing about mountains

Advertisement