Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calling Deaf & Hard of Hearing Sportspeople

• 18-12-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi

I hope mods don't mind me posting this here. Please delete this thread if it's inappropriate.

I've just taken up the position of acting secretary of Munster Deaf Sports Council. We're hosting the 2015 Inter Provincial tournament during the Easter weekend. (4 & 5 April)

We currently have a men's soccer team & a ladies futsal team and are always looking to add to our ranks, not just for soccer & futsal but other sports too. Several members of our soccer & futsal team have gone on to be selected for the national Deaf team to compete in international tournaments.

So if you're Deaf or Hard of Hearing & love sports or would perhaps like to get involved as a volunteer, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to provide more information & answer any questions you may have.

PS: If you're from Leinster/Connaught/Ulster, do feel free get in touch with me and I'll be happy to help you out and put you in touch with the corresponding secretary for your respective provincial council.

Cheers,
    Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Just a wee update on this, please see press release from Deaf Sports Ireland::

http://goo.gl/OSoc2M

If you are interested or would like more information, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. (Don't worry if you're from outside Munster, I'll be happy to put you in touch with your provincial representative!)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Futsal?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I asked on Twitter but never got a reply so I'll as you here. What level of hearing loss in percentage is needed to be considered eligible for a deaf sports team?

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I asked on Twitter but never got a reply so I'll as you here. What level of hearing loss in percentage is needed to be considered eligible for a deaf sports team?

Sorry I don't handle the twitter account of Deaf Sports Ireland. I'll bring it to the attention of their administrator though.

There's no real criteria in place at club level- we've got a hearing player in my footie club, st vincents deaf football club. At provincial level, the criteria is that you have to have a hearing loss of some sort. However if you were to go on to be selected for the national team, you would be subject to random hearing tests by the governing body that organises championships so I believe the criteria to be that the athlete has to have a loss of 45db or 55db in order to compete at that level although I stand to be corrected by Deaf Sports Ireland.

Thanks for the reply. I have a hearing aid but never wear it as I get by pretty ok (and a certain amount of denial). I have tinnitus too. I'm fairly handy at football and would be interested in playing futsal. I have my fai youth cert coaching badge so i could help out coaching wise too. Is there female futsal in connacht?

Thanks for the reply. I have a hearing aid but never wear it as I get by pretty ok (and a certain amount of denial). I have tinnitus too. I'm fairly handy at football and would be interested in playing futsal. I have my fai youth cert coaching badge so i could help out coaching wise too. Is there female futsal in connacht?

I take it you're from the Connaught region. If you're handy at football, I could put you in touch with the manager of Connaught football squad? If you're up for that, could you please send me a pm and I'll pass on your details to the manager.

Unfortunately there's no female futsal team in Connaught.

Deaf Sports Ireland do have an annual men's Inter Provincial Futsal Championship but unfortunately it doesn't take place at the same time as the other tournaments during the Easter weekend. It tends to take place later in the year as a stand alone tournament. Again I can pass on your contact details to the Connaught representative if you wish to be kept updated on that.

Thanks very much. I'm female and would much rather be involved in the female set up. Where do the munster female team train?

Thanks very much. I'm female and would much rather be involved in the female set up. Where do the munster female team train?

Forgive me, I had incorrectly assumed you were male going by your avatar photo.

The Munster ladies futsal team are getting together this Saturday for the last session before the tournament. They're training at Bishopstown community school, Cork 12pm to 2pm. You'd be welcome to train with them.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it. There's lads in the soccer forum that got the shock of their lives when they figured out I'm female! :pac: It was a hot topic for a while.

Ah that's a long, long way away from Galway!

Clare/Limerick I would have managed.

Advertisement