Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RDS bikeshow..youre experiences here..

• 28-02-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Was a bit samey for us.....no Kawasaki stand ..wtf..???.....some nice customs, lot of very talented people on this little island....losts of REAL bikers snarling at other REAL bikers....:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Saving myself for the show in Belfast next time round, Ireland (south) is 3rd world country where bike and car shows are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Enjoyed it, got a couple of bargains, had fun flirting with the rep from volt motorcycles, sat on a few nice bikes, commented on the lack of Kawasaki, ogled the continental gt (twice) marvelled at the flying millyard, entered a couple of competitions, watched the sand racing wondering what a s1000r on methanol powered sidecar goes like, watched a bit of stunting, will I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Terrible show IMHO, and organised arseways in true Irish fashion. Apparently this year the powers to be at the RDS were charging €6-€8 for "SECURE" parking and there was a a rake of cars broken into and lids and parts robbed off bikes!!!!

I did here of lids being taken of bikes last year....so at least the show is consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Won't be going again. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,825 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Been a few years since I was at it, but they offered a free helmet park inside then. Don't recall having to pay for bike parking, either (I was on a freebie ticket in working on a stand, but went into the main 'car' park same as everyone else)

Unfortunately (to misquote Forrest Gump) scumbags is as scumbags does, some will be out for easy pickings, unlocked top boxes and the like, some out to do damage just for the sake of it, I have to ask how were these lids 'secured' to the bikes? the helmet locks that flip out from under the seat can be bent with a wet piece of string, and the true scumbag doesnt care if he has to cut the strap off a lid, it'll still get him past the rare garda checkpoint on his stolen moped.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If i have one real critisism its as to WTF do groups of people decide to stop for a chat in the middle of an aisle ..i dont get it...beep beep move to the side people....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Nodster

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Terrible show IMHO, and organised arseways in true Irish fashion......and there was a a rake of cars broken into and lids and parts robbed off bikes!!!!

Any ideas how the Show could be unarseways? I enjoyed it as did many others

As for stuff being half-inched, I only heard of one van being broken into and the scum were disturbed and nothing missing - unless you can kindly let us know about other instances - the floors yours

Nodster wrote: »

As for stuff being half-inched, I only heard of one van being broken into and the scum were disturbed and nothing missing - unless you can kindly let us know about other instances - the floors yours

+You cant please all the people etc etc..

To say the show was badly organised "in true Irish fashion" is way off the mark....youre comparing it to the UK i suppose, never a good comparison...it is what it is, if you didnt like it dont go again.....but you probably will..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Terrible show IMHO, and organised arseways in true Irish fashion. Apparently this year the powers to be at the RDS were charging €6-€8 for "SECURE" parking and there was a a rake of cars broken into and lids and parts robbed off bikes!!!!

I did here of lids being taken of bikes last year....so at least the show is consistent.

Were you at the show?
    i found it enjoyable. What exactly was arseways??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

We had a great day at the show for the first time. Car park was expensive (€6) and it was a tight squeeze getting around at about lunch time/early afternoon but after the stories I had heard around here on the run up to the show I was more than pleasantly surprised.

For €25 for two tickets, with under 12s in free, we will surely look to go next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

If you've never been to the bike show at the NEC you need to go to see how a proper bike show is done

Went to RDS once, it's like its run in someone's back yard in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Wandered around for a while yesterday. I think for a new enough biker the ability to gawp at gear, sit up on new bikes, and see some stunts and nice classics is worth the money. Probably not worth it if you've seen it all before.

One thing I did notice is that aside from people's kids, there wasn't a soul below 30 in the place, it looked like. I was talking to an exhibitor and he said on friday night the /average/ age would have been 50.

Plus got about 70 quid off a lid I'd had me eye on for a while, so ticket paid for itself if you're looking at it that way.

The_Chap wrote: »
    If you've never been to the bike show at the NEC you need to go to see how a proper bike show is done

Been there twice years ago...cost of flight etc made it not worth it....Everythings bigger alright but wouldnt bother going ever again....
    Keepin it local....
    BTW...if youre comparing not-like with not-like ,go to the states....NEC looks like a sh1thole then....;)

I have been to many a bike show both here and the UK and Europe including the RDS. And it is run and organised badly. Both inside and out, and it deffo not the 1st time stuff has got robbed. Went with the family last time and had to go outside to the car to get items and the hassle I had getting back in as the missus had my band, took me twenty minutes to get back in as they would not let me go in with one of the goon squad to retrieve my band. Missus had my phone could not call her and would not let me use their phone!
    +You cant please all the people etc etc..

To say the show was badly organised "in true Irish fashion" is way off the mark....youre comparing it to the UK i suppose, never a good comparison...it is what it is, if you didnt like it dont go again.....but you probably will..;)

I am not comparing it directly to the UK I am comparing it to basic standards, I went twice and IMHO its deffo not worth the money to get in simples. Most people moan about this country doing things arse ways, but stick it in writing and the patriotism comes flying out ffs!
    rock22 wrote: »
    Were you at the show?
    i found it enjoyable. What exactly was arseways??

No I did not go this year as experiences from previous years were not good. But couple of my mates went and reports were mediocre at best.
    The_Chap wrote: »

Very true, NEC is brilliant and the London bike show is out of this world. But its not even that. Its the little things and the attitudes which cost nothing that are not even in place.

Good to see Cotters had a stand there this year all the same.

Been there twice years ago...cost of flight etc made it not worth it....Everythings bigger alright but wouldnt bother going ever again....
    Keepin it local....
    BTW...if youre comparing not-like with not-like ,go to the states....NEC looks like a sh1thole then....;)

I got return tickets to the NEC this year for €18 return incld all taxes. And the tickets in for €15 bought online before hand. Factor in the free moto cross experience on the yamaha bikes for an hour and the really good free haul of goodies you can blag (I got wool shoei beanie hat and shoei water proof jacket)

And the bargains are unbelievable TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Keepin it local....

Its not even that, granted it's never going to be the same size, but the whole experience left me feeling very meh, I've been to better bike rallys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Comparing Irish shows to Uk or other shows is wrong. The organisers have to cater to the number of bikers here in Ireland. They don't cater for UK bikers or continental bikers (Show on this weekend in Holland). How many bikers in comparison to the UK are there.

As for theft, that can happen anywhere, look at all the bikes stolen from "secure" parking. Scumbags will know that there is a show on and head over, sure they more than likely pay the €6 for parking so they have an excuse to be in

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    Comparing Irish shows to Uk or other shows is wrong. The organisers have to cater to the number of bikers here in Ireland.

Then theres the ones that wont go or dont bother going..imo the amount of good experiences will far outweigh the bad....

Note to organisers...if you want more Irish trade stands to participate , give them more of an incentive, rather than giving the foreign ones huge stand discounts...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Nodster

I have been to many a bike show both here and the UK and Europe including the RDS. And it is run and organised badly. Both inside and out, and it deffo not the 1st time stuff has got robbed. Went with the family last time and had to go outside to the car to get items and the hassle I had getting back in as the missus had my band, took me twenty minutes to get back in as they would not let me go in with one of the goon squad to retrieve my band. Missus had my phone could not call her and would not let me use their phone!

Now Wonda-Boy, I'm a very reasonable fella and challenged you in my original post on a couple of points. No evidence of "there was a a rake of cars broken into and lids and parts robbed off bikes!!!!" and as for your hassle of nipping out to the carpark.......that sounded like a badly organised plan! Get over it and be thankful we have a large biking exhibition that comes to town every two years that the majority look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Sounds like Wonda-Boy wouldn't know organisation if it jumped up and bit him on the arse, "the missus had my phone". "the missus had my band"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting anything spectacular. I'd prefer to have paid €10 in but sure it was fine. Some interesting stuff. Did anyone else see the bike jack on wheels?? Sat on the 1299 Panigale. Savage. 30k though!

Edit - this is the 1Jac: http://www.1jac.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

It's a handy place to buy gear if you need something. Most if not all of the biggest retailers on the island are there as well as few from across the water. Helmets and bike gear cannot be bought on line IMO, you got to try it on for fit. I needed (wanted?) a new textile jacket and the choice was from €50 entry level to €1250 for an armoured Rukka with Kevlar! I think there was some value on offer. 3 of us travelled to the show and we all enjoyed it and bought something, parking was easy and reasonable at €6.

The stunt riders were good, proper stunt bikes, the kids there seemed to really enjoy that, they were talented lads.

I didn't see Michael Dunlop with Steve Parrish at the scheduled 12:30 interview, whether he was at the 16:30 interview I don't know. It's not fair to compare with NEC, we are a much smaller country with small population in comparison to UK. Overall I thought it was a pretty decent show, it's nice to wander around and mingle with likeminded.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Here is a video of the stunt bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just back myself and I enjoyed it. The €15 price doesn't bother me, I spent over 3 hours so as things go that's not bad for an afternoons entertainment. Met and got pictures with Jack Kennedy and John McGuinness, not everyday you get to meet top sports people mingling in the crowd and genuinely willing to interact with their fans. How much would a ticket for the Ireland/England match cost?

Yes the show has its faults and not as big as other stuff in other countries but we are only an island of 6m people and only a small % of them are interesting in motorbikes so we should be thankful we have a show at all. We're very bad in this country at knocking everything and saying it's not as good as this, that or the other. Maybe if we started supporting local we wouldn't have small bike shops and workshops closing left right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Yosef Odd Broom

Zascar wrote: »
    Here is a video of the stunt bikes

And here's the lads training at an undisclosed location in Dublin (I brought KTRIC and his GF up and issued invites to a few others).. Watch the aerial shots from a GoPro mounted to a drone :cool:

Saw that before, great video! I deffo intend to join you some day soon, dying to learn to wheelie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Yosef Odd Broom

Zascar wrote: »
    Saw that before, great video! I deffo intend to join you some day soon, dying to learn to wheelie :)

They're not there any longer.. I haven't been with them in awhile, and my bike is sitting in my garden with a f*cked up clutch :mad:

Clutch went last week, on most Jap bikes I'd have replaced it at lunch time ~ on a BMW its going to cost me an absolute f*cking fortune (cheapest quote so far is €900).

But when I'm back on the road we'll hook up over the summer for a bit of craic :D

thelawman wrote: »
    Sounds like Wonda-Boy wouldn't know organisation if it jumped up and bit him on the arse, "the missus had my phone". "the missus had my band"

This post isn't very P.C!!!! Very constructive post I must say. Next time someone asks you penny for your thoughts.....SELL!

Now Wonda-Boy, I'm a very reasonable fella and challenged you in my original post on a couple of points. No evidence of "there was a a rake of cars broken into and lids and parts robbed off bikes!!!!" and as for your hassle of nipping out to the carpark.......that sounded like a badly organised plan! Get over it and be thankful we have a large biking exhibition that comes to town every two years that the majority look forward to

I was there at the show last time the stuff got robbed and lads on the warpath, as for the badly organised plan **** happens with young kids and you can't plan for that. But when you pay in and you can't even try to explain that you did its piss poor. Give a goon a radio and an ear piece and they think they are in the ERU.

Talk to enough people and you will hear about the **** going on. You enjoyed the show I didnt simples. If you are happy with mediocre events bully for you......

• Advertisement

. If you are happy with mediocre events bully for you......

I hope the organisers can come on here and personally apologise to you pal...you seem really upset ....chillax..:p

Dont EVER go to the classic car show in Terenure if youre offended by wanton vandalism..it happens everywhere kids (read ; scumbags) are allowed.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement