Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoking cough

Options
  • 26-09-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hey - I'm trying to give up the satan sticks because my smoker's cough has gone beyond a joke. Wakes me up at night, in the morning I'm like a wild animal coughing uncontrollably. Problem is - I LOVE smoking and I'm dreading having to give up, but I can't live with this cough anymore. Any one else suffer from this and how long does it take to go? I need horror stories please!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You will have a smokers cough for as long as you are a smoker.

As for when you give them up, it usually lasts a few days while your lungs adjust.

I can't give you any medical advice regarding this, other than to see a doctor if it doesn't clear up after a few days.

Best of luck quitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

My smokers cough disappeared in a few days. I did read that after a week or two of giving up smoking your cough could get a lot worse and this is just the lungs clearing out although this didn't happen to me. It is great waking up in the morning and not having a cough fit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I quit on Wednesday last, I was in the middle of a horrible chesty cold+cough, and the coughing and spluttering has really calmed down since I stopped.

I find posting on boards.ie very therapeutic too.

Best of Luck!!!!

Barney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danmurf

Hi,

ex smoker myself for a while now took a while to stop coughing I was worried about this so did a bit of digging around and found this site which had some useful information:

http://www.irishhealth.com/video_patient.html

from looking at the video on quitting smoking there are a few medical experts interviewed on the subject and one person said it can take between 3 to 9 months for the lungs to recover after you stop smoking anyway hope this helps and best of luck with the quitting, you will feel better for being off them in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I was a Social smoker for 6 years used to always feel the urge to smoke fags when I was out clubbing with friends who were all smoking Benson Hedges (Lovely smoke btw)
    Im off them now since Nov 2013 & that annoying Cough is finally gone. Iv only been out on the town 3 or 4 times since & the urge to buy a box of cigs very tempting but self discipline is keeping me off them.
    Apparently it gets easier longer your off them #♣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

A smoker's cough is persistent cough that develops in long term smokers. Firstly it may be dry but after some it produces phlegm. The best way to get rid of smoker's cough is to quit smoking altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

You coughed like a wild aniamal uncontrollablely, isn't this horrible?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tishball

I am a month since quitting, but I have a mild cough and it seems I am clearing my lungs, I wonder will this continue for long or is there a point where it may be time for a check up? It isn't a constant cough just a few times a day? I know it probably is a stupid question but other ex smokers may be able to advise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Coming up to 11months off them after 18/19 years and the cough has nearly disappeared. The violent fits of coughing I use to get has completely stopped.

Hangovers as well, some difference there.

Well done Trond, you must be dead chuffed with yourself. So it is normal to be still coughing, thats cool enough I suppose it took me years to put the crap in it will take a while to knock it out again. I have to say after smoking for 25 years ( holy hell) I didn't have too much of a cough anyway, but already I notice how great it is to take a deep breath when out in the fresh air. Hangovers after smoking are awful, and what would we do? reach for a smoke, madness

• Advertisement

Tishball wrote: »
    Well done Trond, you must be dead chuffed with yourself. So it is normal to be still coughing, thats cool enough I suppose it took me years to put the crap in it will take a while to knock it out again. I have to say after smoking for 25 years ( holy hell) I didn't have too much of a cough anyway, but already I notice how great it is to take a deep breath when out in the fresh air. Hangovers after smoking are awful, and what would we do? reach for a smoke, madness

Yep I am, still cant believe it'll be a full year off them soon. It was actually a massive mid week hangover that pushed me over the edge. I simply couldn't look at one the next morning. That and ecigs did it for me.

I started cycling again as well so that's obviously helped. Nothing else came even close to working for me previously. In those 11 months ive helped 4 of my close friends stop as well and a 5th literally asked me for a few links to ecig stuff today.

We probably look rather weird when we're out in a pubs these days!!!! Not that I care anyway!

How did you kick them eventually??? 25 years is a fair aul innings as they say....

Ecig here too, lol, yup we look like muppets with them, but I don't care worse muppets standing out in the rain smoking, and paying a fortune for it. I had tried everything, and I have some very funny stories or pretending I was still not smoking but had in fact relapsed. Getting caught by my husband , hiding in sheds smoking , picking fights so I could storm off and smoke, lol, god what a loon. I posted a thread on here asking advice on ecigs, lol, yesterday. The ones I am using keep running out of charge on me. so I have that sorted now. I use a fruit type juice so I no longer have a taste for a ciggerette, and to be honest don't miss them at all. Which is where I would have a downfall in previous attempts, stress at work and I would miss a smoke, now I just vape and the idea goes away. Now if they can find a way to take alcahol and save my liver I will be sorted. lol.

Tishball wrote: »
    Ecig here too, lol, yup we look like muppets with them, but I don't care worse muppets standing out in the rain smoking, and paying a fortune for it. I had tried everything, and I have some very funny stories or pretending I was still not smoking but had in fact relapsed. Getting caught by my husband , hiding in sheds smoking , picking fights so I could storm off and smoke, lol, god what a loon. I posted a thread on here asking advice on ecigs, lol, yesterday. The ones I am using keep running out of charge on me. so I have that sorted now. I use a fruit type juice so I no longer have a taste for a ciggerette, and to be honest don't miss them at all. Which is where I would have a downfall in previous attempts, stress at work and I would miss a smoke, now I just vape and the idea goes away. Now if they can find a way to take alcahol and save my liver I will be sorted. lol.

:D that made me laugh. Reminded of being a teenager. I need to go "fix my bike" at 12am every night!

Keep up the good fight anyway. The Isticks batteries are great in terms of longevity and are good value at 35-40 euro if you were thinking in investing in something new. The USB charging option works v well for me as opposed to batteries.

the istick I got today, it's brilliant, delighted with it. I don't even consider the price, when I think of all I threw away on cigs, never mind the constant buying of lighters. I hae a pile of lighters beside the fire now, finding them everywhere, lol. When I smoked I could NEVER find one. Oh yea and the car always smells great, thats a bonus. I used to put all the windows down, but I think the smell stuck, I just couldn't smell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oldozer

Oil pulling is good for getting phlegm up on an empty stomach. (Careful).

Eveningtime. Use infusion of Thyme for to improve breathing.....

Dozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Kimia wrote: »
    Problem is - I LOVE smoking and I'm dreading having to give up

To be fair, I was the same, I really loved smoking and I always thought I couldn't give them up as I would miss them too much.

But sadly, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer 5 weeks ago and he tearfully asked for me to give them up. It took me about 2 weeks to finally decide to give up, I half did not want to to, and half did not want to break the promise I had made to my dad.

Truth? Yes, the first 3 days are a bitch, but really, I don't miss them at all. I honestly don't. I am only off them for almost 3 weeks, and I swear to you, it is not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. As time passes it does get so much easier.

I didn't/don't use patches, sprays, mints or gum, nothing. Had my last ciggie waiting for a bus in town, and that was it. You think you can't do it, but you can.

I feel so much better, food tastes better, my sense of smell is awesome now! I probably have put on a few pounds, but longer evenings means that I can get out and walk an loose that! I don't cough anymore, I got a cold last week, and for the first time in a long time, I did not get a cough or a chest infection.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanala

I'm off the cigarettes nearly three months now. As the OP mentioned waking from coughing, this used to happen to me but also my wife told me if I had a fit of coughing in my sleep that didn't wake me I would stop breathing for a bit and it scared the **** out of her!, She told me this a few times before I decided to give them up and the change has been great (once I got over the cravings!). I sleep much better and the stop breathing thing in my sleep has gone too.

Advertisement