Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quickest way to lose 7lbs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Musefan wrote: »
    My fitness pal... 7 lbs is 3.5 weeks with discipline.

Lost 4.5 stone in 8 months with it myself and I are whatever I wanted, just kept the calories in check

What if what you wanted had lots and lots of calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What if what you wanted had lots and lots of calories?

Yeah, those two starements are not easily reconciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you take up exercise or increase exercise dramatically, you will likely put on 3-4 pounds in the first week.

Rough science here if you want to lose body mass: 1lb = 3000 kcal.

7lb = 21,000 kcal.

Normal calorie used in one day 2000 kcal.

You would need to consume 0 kcal and increase expenditure by at least 1000 kcal a day to 3000 kcal without increasing exercise.

So it's not possible in any real sense. However you probably hold some weight food in your intestines and water throughout your body. You could only lose that kind of water and food weight in 1 week but you need food and water to live.

Answer; not possible

Edit; I thought OP specified a 1 week time-frame. I re read the OP and it doesn't say anything about 1 week but the principal is that you need to burn 21000 kcal to lose 7 lb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Someone beat me to it by saying 'have a baby'. My friend lost 10.5lbs in one morning!

Seriously though, I'm a big believer in exercising before breakfast. When I say believer, I don't always do it!

I recently started walking the dog for 40 mins 5 days a week before I have eaten anything and I lost half a stone very quickly. Now I have hit 40, it's harder to lose weight so I was impressed that this empty stomach thing seemed to benefit me so much.

I'm doing really well. Today I had an orange for breakfast. Unfortunately it was a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Not joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah dunno about that. I've lost about 18 pounds since christmas - just by cutting out empty calories. So no crisps, chocolates, biscuits etc. also laid off the booze big time - it's packed with calories.

By doing this I've cut about 1200 to 1500 calories from my diet

:confused: I'm saying it's stupidity to not know those things have calories.

But to be fair it's not necessarily stupidity. Just ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

To loose 1lb you will need a calorie deficit of around 3500. This is either done through diet and/or exercise. To maintain weight, you should consume you body weight in lbs x 10 ie 200lbs - 2000 cals per day. Anything less is weight loss, anything more is gain.

Personally speaking, best thing to do is cut out bread/ sugar/ sweets/ biscuits / alcohol and fatty foods like crisps. Eat small portions regularly so about 5 - 6 small meals a day. Walking first thing in the morning before you eat, about 40 mins is a great fat burner. Its quite easy to loose 7 lbs in 3 weeks or so if you are serious about it.

Keeping it off is another thing so rather than doing a diet and loosing it quickly, you should make a lifestyle change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RoboRat wrote: »
    To maintain weight, you should consume you body weight in lbs x 10 ie 200lbs - 2000 cals per day. Anything less is weight loss, anything more is gain.

Not quite right - that's roughly BMR, or what you'd burn if you just lay in one spot all day and didn't move. A 200lb man would need more than that to maintain weight if he ever gets out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't think exercise has much to do with it, if you workout hard in the gym for an hour or so you'd probably be lucky to burn 500 calories, depending on your size of course. Though, this will of course make you want to eat more to replace the burned calories. It's all about eating less than you burn, eating 2000 calories and burning 2500 is no different from eating 1500 calories and burning 2000. Depending on why you need to lose the weight quickly, there are some quick fixes, if you increase your water intake, your body will stop holding on to as much water, and will result in a dramatic loss in weight, though, this is of course only water weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Did you try any of the serious diets like the 7 day diet and fat burning soup? How were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

No disrespect to anyone in particular - but I think it's sad that people are still looking for the 'trick' to losing weight. And sadder still that people think there actually IS a trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If you want to lose weight you stop eating, simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

catallus wrote: »

I'm always impressed with how much weight people lose on that 'Naked and Afraid' survival show. And they're only outdoors for 21 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

So many great theories - I checked the link and it said
    Eat all the fruit you want except Banana.
    which is enough to tell me it's utter BS. There is no such thing as "empty calories" and getting your energy from junk food is *exactly* the same as getting it from anything else, although the additives probably won't do you a lot of good.

The reality is that you need to consume an amount of food such that the energy you get is less than the energy you burn. And that's it. If you do some exercise, you'll burn more energy than if you don't. If you eat like a pig, the balance will be in the wrong direction. So find the point where you start losing weight and stop eating more than that.

catallus wrote: »

Starvation starts tonight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Stop eating Macdonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ketogenic diet mixed with intermittent fasting. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

In the freezer here, there are 9 boxes of ice-cream and five boxes of pizzas, dinner can be a whole pizza for this person.They're not mine. The person who owns them came home yesterday with a tub of fcuking Slim Fast.

Does drinking a slim fast shake cancel out a pizza?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you go the to the equator then you will weigh less because the earth is spinning.

To loose 7Lbs you would need an initial weight of 925Kg though

In the freezer here, there are 9 boxes of ice-cream and five boxes of pizzas, dinner can be a whole pizza for this person.They're not mine. The person who owns them came home yesterday with a tub of fcuking Slim Fast.

Does drinking a slim fast shake cancel out a pizza?

Same as a diet coke will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A forearm probably weighs about 7lb.Or drugs,a good 4 day bender and that pesky half stone will fall away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sh1t your leg off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sulfur hexafluoride is an inert gas with a density of 6.17 kg/m³

If you weighed 85Kg and stepped into a diving chamber which was then filled with this gas and the pressure raised to six atmospheres you'd loose the 7 Lbs.

And you'd have a deeper voice than Barry White

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm getting some mad ads now thanks to this thread.

Ads?

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bpmurray wrote: »
    So many great theories - I checked the link and it said

which is enough to tell me it's utter BS. There is no such thing as "empty calories" and getting your energy from junk food is *exactly* the same as getting it from anything else, although the additives probably won't do you a lot of good.

The reality is that you need to consume an amount of food such that the energy you get is less than the energy you burn. And that's it. If you do some exercise, you'll burn more energy than if you don't. If you eat like a pig, the balance will be in the wrong direction. So find the point where you start losing weight and stop eating more than that.

Which is heavier? A ton of steel or a ton of feathers?

syklops wrote: »
    Which is heavier? A ton of steel or a ton of feathers?
    An pound of feathers is heavier than a pound of gold but an ounce of feathers is heavier than an ounce of gold

*hugs* metric system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

6 years between the OP's question and your advice @Mandy222 . Not exactly the quickest way to lose 7lbs in all fairness. That's only an average of a bit over a pound a year.

edit: Now Mandy222’s post is gone and I’m the one looking like I resurrected a random zombie thread for no good reason.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Become a coeliac. I lost nearly three stone in a few months when my intestines stopped cooperating with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

7 lbs ?? What are these archaic measurements and why do most Irish people insist on using them.

That's roughly 3 kg according to Google. It's extremely easy to lose if you just focus.

I love my meat, but I dropped 10 kg from avoiding animal products and only having rashers, eggs, etc. once every two weeks as a treat.

As a rule, avoid meat, dairy, eggs and saturated fats. If you must eat meat, stick to lean poultry and/or fish. Drink lots of water. Go for a brisk 30 minute power walk every day religiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In regards the hand job - how many reps and sets do you recommend?

• Advertisement

Donate 7 pints of blood.

Advertisement