Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neill Blomkamp's Alien Sequel Concept

• 11-02-2015 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

By now, I'm sure many of you saw the concept art Blomkamp posted up last month that seemed to show ideas that would reverse some (if not all) of what happened in Alien 3 / Resurrection and have Micheal Biehn return to the universe.

Blomkamp recently talked about the movie concept and explains how this all came about during production of Chappie with conversations with Sigourney Weaver
    Speaking to Sigourney Weaver, when we were doing Chappie, she set off a bunch of thoughts in my head — I had come up with an idea that didn’t have Sigourney, it was a different idea. But I spent all of the shooting time with her, it was like, holy ****, that could actually be really interesting. When I came back to Vancouver, I had an entire year to work on Chappie. And when I wasn’t needed in the edit, I could think about Alien. So, I basically developed an entire movie and I did all of this artwork as well.

He got some people to help with the artwork and concepts during post-production of Chappie, something to help focus on when he would take a break from that film.

He also mentions how Fox are willing to follow up on his concept but the reluctance is on his part of hopping into a franchise movie (and their history of treating the franchise I imagine):
    Me. I’m the problem. Fox, they would make it. Like, tomorrow. They would make it.

Success of Chappie might have a big hand to play in how this one turns out.

On top of bringing Hicks back, I love some of the more out there bits in the artwork like the jockey suit Ripley is wearing or that melting goo person Ripley seem to be a bit ranked out by. Even if nothing comes of this I always find movie concepts fascinating.
    alienxeno2.jpg
    ripley-hicks.jpg?itok=1gsxfRgl
    kaivyor3f8thksygyisw.jpg
    WW1IZj0.jpg
    10903691_1527947634150588_295305742_n.jpg
    alienxeno1.jpg
    f6ad5bd8a0c401b94d1a3a7a1ab9d3183fc70181.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

thumbs-up-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Now that would likely be something worthy of the franchise to rinse our mouths of the taste of stupid left by Lindelol and Prometheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Love Blomkamps style. The combination of hi-tech weapons in undeveloped areas always looks real without losing the awe. Seems to take a very practical approach And it pays dividend.

Also, Biehn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hmmm so Hicks survived and Ripley didn't go through the events of Alien 3. That's a totally new concept *Cough, Dark Horse Comics* :pac:

In all seriousness, I want to see this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As enticing as that concept art looks, I couldn't imagine Blomkamp getting full, unfettered control over the project; the Alien franchise is a money-spinner and whatever impact the xenomorphs as a concept might have once had, it's long dead now. The xenomorphs are video-games, toys, godawful crossover films. The idea's too big now, and I couldn't believe Fox would allow anyone tinker with the formula too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

PRetty sure the first time I saw Aliens 3 I immediately disregarded it because of Hicks being dead. Took a good few re-watches for me to take it on it's own merits :D

Anything with Michael Biehn in it has my serious approval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

And so the one trick pony rides into town.....silver pistols at the ready, that shiny new fandangled concept art from his bestest drawing buddies ready to wow the townsfolk. But those weary 80's Alien franchise fans are growning long in the tooth now and their familiar with these hack attacks from them far off hills.
    Here he comes they say, the new kid on the block, the flavour of the month, two notches on his belt and he think he's the hot shot worthy of something greater. Mech, robots, trash, I got the look he chirps.... b ut have you got the substance? they reply. Let's get a look at this chappie first......nah we've seen enough, let's read a review, save the pennies for the real thing. Yup, back to the hills buddy n take your rust and dsytopia with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw these a while back and was blown away by them.

I think his style would bring something much needed to the Alien universe. Its been somewhat corrupted by those awful AVP movies, and is due some TLC I think.

I would love for him to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Gintonious wrote: »
    Its been somewhat corrupted by those awful AVP movies, and is due some TLC I think.

James Cameron was working on an another Alien movie, but gave up on it cause of AvP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

TheDoc wrote: »
    PRetty sure the first time I saw Aliens 3 I immediately disregarded it because of Hicks being dead. Took a good few re-watches for me to take it on it's own merits :D

Anything with Michael Biehn in it has my serious approval
    For me, this movie can never be forgiven for killing Newt "off screen" or at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

As far as I know, Aliens Colonial Marines the game is considered cannon. Hicks is alive and well in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

They should make it under the restriction that Blomkamp's not allowed to use any shakycam. That's the **** that drove me crazy in Elysium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"Git awah from 'er, yoo fookin zenomorph!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I reminds me a bit of the Mark Verheiden written Dark Horse Comic's Aliens series. So much so that perhaps the producers might want to give those early issues a look. They featured a gruesomely scarred, alcoholic Hicks and an understandably 'effed up Newt brought together circumstance (the discovery of an Alien hive world) and their desire to find out what happened to the missing Ellen Ripley.

The early comics were ten times better then most of the sequels, Verheiden also went on to write and produce quite a lot of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica series which I'd rate pretty highly as one of the best written sci-fi series ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Interesting concept indeed.

If there was a current director who could do this some justice i think he is the one.

Will follow this will anticipation.

pixelburp wrote: »
    As enticing as that concept art looks, I couldn't imagine Blomkamp getting full, unfettered control over the project; the Alien franchise is a money-spinner and whatever impact the xenomorphs as a concept might have once had, it's long dead now. The xenomorphs are video-games, toys, godawful crossover films. The idea's too big now, and I couldn't believe Fox would allow anyone tinker with the formula too much.
    I think Fox are in a stronger position that they have been in years, the Alien Isolation game, was critically very well received, was lauded by the fans & has finally delivered something worthy of the Series. Its won and is nominated for a shed load of video game awards.

For the first time in a long time there is a lot of love out there for "Alien". I think now is the time to strike, with a director who is currently very much in form and renowned for his sci-fi work. There will be alot of people rooting for this movie.

I think generally the studio wont need to meddle with this director as traditionally he has shown all the right attributes for this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

As long as there is no south African accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

marathont wrote: »
    As long as there is no south African accents.
    South African space marines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

As a movie franchise, it would be hard to fuck up Alien worse than it has been already. Getting a pseudo reboot is the only way to make more. We can all pretend some of them never existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

some of them never existed.

.....as far as I'm aware, there was Alien then Aliens and I now wait near 3 decades for a sequel to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I think David Fincher should the sequel to Aliens.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

What would this be so? A soft reboot?

Even with soft reboots (i.e. Terminator Salvation) the entire cast is generally changed, which would not be the case here.

Basically you'd have an unprecedented situation where Fox would basically have to say: hey, remember Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection? Well don't. :pac:

I suppose they could spin it as an alternate reality where everything beyond Alien 2 didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Everything after Aliens was Ripley's hypersleep dream, including the Predator stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I really hope this goes ahead,the concept art looks amazing and bringing Hicks back is a brilliant move.
    Im going to watch ALIENS now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

I read somewhere that Sigourney Weaver backed his ideas... who knows, we might see some sort of reboot with his ideas implemented.

Even if there's a recon where Alien 3 and 4 didn't happen how do you explain both Ripley and Hicks being 50 odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Talisman

From what I read Sigourney Weaver had a big hand in rewrites of the scripts for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Joss Whedon said that she wanted the ending of Resurrection rewritten so that Ripley transformed into a Xenomorph - looking at some of the concept art, that angle is possibly being explored. I don't see an endorsement by her being a good thing in the eyes of the studio.

Talisman wrote: »
    From what I read Sigourney Weaver had a big hand in rewrites of the scripts for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. Joss Whedon said that she wanted the ending of Resurrection rewritten so that Ripley transformed into a Xenomorph - looking at some of the concept art, that angle is possibly being explored. I don't see an endorsement by her being a good thing in the eyes of the studio.

Not surprised that Whedon went against that. I'm a major Buffy fan but I know how the guy is, he probably saw Ripley turning into a Xenomorph as the antithesis to what he likes; strong women prevailing. It hinders his storytelling, tbh the idea of Ripley being infected fully ala district 9 sounds intriguing.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Even if there's a recon where Alien 3 and 4 didn't happen how do you explain both Ripley and Hicks being 50 odd?
    That they carried on with their lives after the ending of Aliens...... Ripley probably forced into mental institution by the company or something similar.

nobody said this was going to be the events directly after the aliens movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Jon Stark wrote: »

Would you, maybe, prefer to see yet another reboot? :pac:

Advertisement