Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Archaeology on tv

• 18-04-2013 10:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Please post any links to upcoming (or oldies but goodies) items of archaeological interest on tv here.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Does anyone know when this is going to be shown on this side of the Atlantic? It premiered on the 3rd of March in the U.S..
    Shot in Ireland at a cost of $40 million (see here), it looks interesting but is allegedly not without its historical inaccuracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well torrent is your friend for this if you dont want to wait for a year or so.There are already 6 episodes out,coming out every monday same as game of thrones,except a bit more based on history,but still way of portraying the real vikings of the time,its more like drama with some medieval elements and a bit of history,but totally worth attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

New series starting next Monday on BBC 4 at 8.30pm.
    'The Flying Archaeologist'.
    This episode takes a look at Stonehenge. Hopefully it will be up to speed with the latest evidence.

New series on the Irish landscape.
    Eamon P. Kelly, Keeper of Antiquities at the National Museum of Ireland, contributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I wish RTE would reach out to others besides the entrenched denizens of the national museum for their archaeological programs. There are a vast array of wonderfully insightful, and fascinating people that could be consulted for a show like this. What a wasted opportunity.

• Advertisement

'Archaeology a Secret History.'
    BBC 4
    9pm Tuesdays
    Episode 1 of three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Secrets of the Stonehenge skeletons : Ancient bodies lie buried beneath Stonehenge, but what can they tell us about Britain's greatest prehistoric monument ? One man has found vital clues to this ancient puzzle.
    Sky : 9pm More4 139

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

slowburner wrote: »
    New series on the Irish landscape.
    Eamon P. Kelly, Keeper of Antiquities at the National Museum of Ireland, contributes.

Thanks for the heads up,
    Im watching the series from the start on RtePlayer right now very informative show..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Does anyone know when this is going to be shown on this side of the Atlantic? It premiered on the 3rd of March in the U.S..
    Shot in Ireland at a cost of $40 million (see here), it looks interesting but is allegedly not without its historical inaccuracies.

I note that this is on Lovefilm and there is one month free trial available for it.

Should have stuck it on yesterday, apologies for the late notice ! tonight Britain's Stone Age Tsunami, again on Channel 4, but this time I myself missed the start a while ago, so it's replayed on Channel 4+1 and starting at 9pm. Hope someone else will catch it in time !

edit : goddammit, all these kind of entertainment channels are unwatchable on my sky tonight, enjoy if yours are working. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Should have stuck it on yesterday, apologies for the late notice ! tonight Britain's Stone Age Tsunami, again on Channel 4, but this time I myself missed the start a while ago, so it's replayed on Channel 4+1 and starting at 9pm. Hope someone else will catch it in time !
    :(

I think they replaced it in the schedule with a different programme called Human Swarm which was quite interesting but nothing to do with archaeology! They actually played the opening credits and titles for the Stone Age Tsunami one and then the other one started. Bit of a mess with C4!

Great :P
    I might catch it some other night when my entertainment channels are working so !
    I went and watched the trailer online, very curious about it now. Had read about possible tsunami event as evidenced by boulders high up on cliffs on the Mayo coast I think ?
    A quick Google search didn't help much, have to keep an eye on Ch 4 so.

It's on the C4 player. Interesting enough.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team-specials/4od#3528316

Thread unstickied.
    Will re-sticky if requested to do so.

It will be too late for most, but this seems to be a series of which I'm watching an episode right now on Eden +1 Sky 533, so might be replayed, and other episodes should be good : The Incredible Human Journey. This episode is on Europe, and very interesting, with reconstruction of a neanderthal's face, and great geographical information.

After it is another documentary which sounds great called Are we still evolving ? which I think is a series too.

Hope someone will be happy to catch replays :)

TV is broken so I've fallen back on Youtube this week, fancied a bit of a documentary.
    So I found this American series that is pure dramatic rubbish on one hand, but kind of interesting on the other hand :o.

So, to be taken with a pinch of salt, if the dramatic music, staged dialogues, and snippets of "movies" don't make you too mad, it is interesting to look at sites and stories involving old stones in America.

Surely beyond the 18th and 19th century hoaxes (which in themselves are interesting) there must be some genuine older archeological/historical clues to be gleaned.

Also, I think I might just brand myself a forensic geologist, since I could tell as much as him that the stones are "weathered"... and so they are ... old. :P
    I wonder could I make a series here in Ireland telling people which stones are "weathered". :D

Anyway, here it is, if you have time to kill : http://youtu.be/l_WSoNrXxlE

I've only watched the Stonehenge and Roanoke ones, and couldn't quite finish, but they are interesting subjects.

Ok, not really tv, but don't want to be posting in unsuitable places, so here's a bit of comic relief, thought it was worth posting here :D

Definitely not to be missed;
    next Thursday, 9pm, BBC 4.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03js0gf/broadcasts/upcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

time team on bbc showed digging up in angelsey in wales did ye know that angelsey was owned bye irish before english came in celtic times thats how st patrick came here

• Advertisement

Britain's Bronze age Mummies on at 9pm Channel4+1 (it's just started on Ch4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Flicking through the stations tonight and just got the tail end of a clip for this new series on Channel 5 : http://www.channel5.com/shows/10000-bc/episodes/episode-1-724?catch_up=1

The first episode was aired last week.
    It could be the usual reality show rubbish, but you just never know?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Flicking through the stations tonight and just got the tail end of a clip for this new series on Channel 5 : http://www.channel5.com/shows/10000-bc/episodes/episode-1-724?catch_up=1

The first episode was aired last week.
    It could be the usual reality show rubbish, but you just never know?!!

Watching 10,000 b.c. now, shocking bad selection of participants chosen by the TV production company. FFS they have a vegetarian hunter-gatherer?!

FFS they have a vegetarian hunter-gatherer?!
    Just a gatherer.
    The gatherers didn't do terribly well in 9,999 BC. Winter was particularly tough that year and the decomposing pile of berries didn't provide the nutrition the gatherers had hoped for.
    They didn't survive.
    Their demise was lamented though when a group of thirsty hunters returned home one night in the dry season and drank the juice from the decomposing pile of berries.
    Great thanks were given to the deceased gatherers whose liquefied contribution is still celebrated to this day.

The gatherers...

....a great bunch of lads!

A viewer might well learn more about the past by observing the crowd at Electric Picnic - and would probably have a better time.
    Woeful programme, but thanks for the notice BD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

A viewer might well learn more about the past by observing the crowd at Electric Picnic - and would probably have a better time.
    Woeful programme, but thanks for the notice BD.

Is it okay to admit that I've not seen any of the programmes yet?
    I'll take your word for it that it's woeful viewing and will rest knowing I'm not missing out on anything!!:D

'Digging for Ireland' aired on BBC1 last night (23/2/15) and included segments on Dunluce Castle, the Hill of Ward (Tlachta), bog bodies, the Corrib dugout boats and excavations at Spike Island.
    Hopefully the link will work.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021j8bm

Edit: the link probably won't work, so here's a link to a video discussing the discovery of infant remains at the Hill of Ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

More importantly, it had Prof. Alice Roberts. <3

• Advertisement

Digging or Ireland will be shown again on BBC4 tomorrow (Thursday) at 11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcfour/20150226

Advertisement