Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

• 10-02-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

I went for a spin yesterday and 10km from home lost my front wheel going round a bend on a stretch of road ive been cycling on for over 20 years
    Only a few cuts and bruises, torn bibs and a scratched bike, nothing serious thank god, first spill in 20 or so years so this made me curious :)

How long have you been cycling and when did you take your last tumble ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cycling to work now for 3 months. Discovered a few weeks ago that cycling in ice is a bad idea.

I fell a few weeks ago but thankfully have nothing to show for it bar a slightly bent mud guard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

About 2 years ago - But probably later today after reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Last day I was out mountain biking the trails had a lot of ice, mixed by some trails that were clear and some trails that gave you a nice sense of confidence only to dump you into a really icey section going really quickly.

So it was fun really great training for bike control, about 2 k out from the trail head though I took the inevitable hopper, tried to make a sharp turn at the last second to avoid a tree stump and the bike just went straight out from underneath me, not too bad though, small cut on my elbow and bruised all down my right side. Although I had a fall the weekend before Christmas that ended up with 4 stitches in the same elbow...have bought some elbow pads in the mean time, definitely a sign.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

October last, on Amiens Street heading southside just beside the custom house. Front wheel skid when manoeuvring through traffic. Was scary enough and gave me a dead leg, but I lived!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

About two summers ago... was going from Naul towards Swords. Was chatting to a mate and missed the hedge cuttings a local farmer had very considerately left strewn all over a bend. Front wheel went out from under me and I went over the bars. Lid was fooked... split right up the back where my head hit. Front wheel was buckled, shifters scratched, jersey ripped, road rash on my shoulder and a bruised ego!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A few weeks ago, cyclocross race, front wheel went under me. Nothing serious, just some gravel rash and a lost place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Raced A4 last year, enough said:P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Cycling 4 years and still never fallen on the road. Last fell riding off-road about 1.5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

December 6th, ended up with a broken wrist. Back wheel slid out going round a corner and fell over nice and slowly. Nearly a year to the day since the last crash before that. That's also the last date I've been on the road on my bike, 3 turbo sessions a week since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I fell at about 5km/h I was turning right from a quiet country road onto an even quieter one, as I crossed a pile of loose chippings the front wheel went from under me. I only had another 500m left to cycle.

I was in a mad rush to go and pick someone up so I had a quick shower and jumped in the car, I had to drive for an hour with blood seeping into the sleeve of my top.

That was about two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Last august warming up at the national track championships. Coming down off the banking on an effort on wet track and front wheel went from under me on a line of paint that holds the water. Broken collarbone (4 places), broken left elbow, dislocated left shoulder, right shoulder still unstable. All reinforced bionically, fine now just doing physio still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

patrick st,street lights were out, hit the traffic island at speed, buckled front wheel and 2 knees badly torn,not a great start to day at 5am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was about 20, so almost 20 years ago. But I was doing something stupid at the time (well at the time I thought I was being cool), nearly lost a finger. Mad skillz I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Titan Clumsy Ignoramus

Had one slow fall when using the clip ins for the first time. Luckily I had pulled over on the side of a quiet country road and fell onto grass. Only time I've made that mistake and a more gentle lesson than most get with the cleats from what I hear. Nearly came off last week coming down a small hill. There's a wicked left hander at the bottom of it and I was feeling confident so took it way too fast. The wheel slipped so I had to straighten out and run onto the footpath. Again quite lucky there were no pedistrians or cars parked beside the path as there normally are. I've been quite fortunate so far. We are all going to come off the bikes this weekend now that we've posted here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I was about 20, so almost 20 years ago. But I was doing something stupid at the time (well at the time I thought I was being cool), nearly lost a finger. Mad skillz I have.

My stupidest one was when I was 15. Cycling home from school, I stopped at the shop on the way. I then headed for home, cycling on the path with no hands eating a bag of meanies. My front wheel whipped to the right and I went flying out in the middle of the road, thankfully no traffic around.

Made an absolute tit of myself and tore my school trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

came down with another lad in the club just before xmas, bit of oil on a turn took both our front wheels out. also slid out on that nasty windy forest descent on the mick byrne last year. only had the bike a few weeks and gave it a scratching :(

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Slow motion crash on a commute just before Christmas... an old lady suddenly cut me off outside the hospice on the Harolds cross road, was enough to floor me onto the wet road, I threw my helmet so hard at the rear of the car in anger it broke in two, and took a nice chunk out of her car door with my brake as I went down. No damage done to me or the bike, helmet was an old spare thankfully, did keep me off the bike till 2015 tho, 2014 was just unbelievably unlucky for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Fall off the Mountai bike regular enough.

Fell off the road bike once and I never want to experience that again. Made utter crap of myself and some serious road rash. That was about 4 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Last summer, bounced off a kerb and flipped over the handkebars and stayed connected to the pedals/bike so landed on the flat of my back still holding the bike above me. Suffered cut knee and broke the tabs on the rear of my Bryton computer but other than that no real injuries or damage, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Most hilarious crash was when I was about 14. Had taken off the front wheel to replace a tube, cycling out of the estate later on I pulled a little wheelie, and realised I hadn't tightened the bolts enough as the wheel jammed up into the forks when I hit the ground, with predictable results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

January 2014, entirely my own fault. Was cycling on the road beside an off road cycle lane, went to go up on to the cycle lane and my rear wheel caught on the lip & skidded out. Ended up with a buckled wheel.

I fell in December 2013 as well, I was cruising round the bend from Leeson street on to Sussex road in Donnybrook & failed to spot the wet grate in my path, the front wheel went flying out. No damage to the bike, just a few scrapes & bruises to myself.

I was nearly taken out on Sunday by a pedestrian crossing the road in Donnybrook, an older gentleman looked right at me then started stuttering out in to my path to cross the road, he must have looked right though me. I slammed on the brakes & could feel the wheels lock up but thankfully I stayed up. Let the fella know my opinion of him as I recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Race in Charleville the year before last. Some genius sprinted between me and another lad to try and get 40th and took us both out. Broken Collarbone and little finger. Road rash was the worst bit.

Before that I was knocked off by a pedestrian while commuting (fractured rib) and once by a driver who pulled out in front of me for no reason at all. Landed on my ass and wrote off some wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

hardCopy wrote: »
    My stupidest one was when I was 15. Cycling home from school, I stopped at the shop on the way. I then headed for home, cycling on the path with no hands eating a bag of meanies. My front wheel whipped to the right and I went flying out in the middle of the road, thankfully no traffic around.

Made an absolute tit of myself and tore my school trousers.

Coming back off the mountains on my mountain bike one summer evening and shooting through an empty car park on a high as it was downhill from somewhere around Boharnabreena Reservoir as far as the Square in Tallaght

You know those shopping trolley bays in shopping centres where you dump your trolley ? Well back then they were open ended so you could go through one side and out the other. I thought it would be great to shoot through one. First mistake.

Second was coming at it at an angle. I caught one side of the handle bars off the bars on the side, catching the knuckle of my finger between the bar and grip. Momentum threw me off the bike, into a somersault and landing on my feet the other side.

Amazing the bike was unscathed but I left a trail of blood the rest of my way home, still have the scar to remind me every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

Last Saturday hit the deck. Went down at speed, probably 35km+, coming out of a very gentle turn, back wheel slipped and went down. Road rash and bruising on the hip, elbow, and shoulder, plus had three long sleeve tops on which were all ripped. Was part of my final pre-raceseason prep, so was trying to put the hammer down until I blew.

Even though it has not been raining recently there constantly seems to be a layer of moisture on the road, can’t remember the last time I saw a bone dry road(probably pre Xmas). It’s probably more dangerous than a wet road after it has rained, due to its deceptive nature. One other thing was the amount of dirt that ended up on my clothing where I hit the deck, there’s an awful amount of grime on the roads.

Went backout Sunday, but found I couldn’t get off my brakes coming down Cruagh, the confidence definitely takes a dent. Looks like the Ned flanagan will be skipped this weekend until I get my bottle back. Overall relieved I didn’t break any bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

makker wrote: »
    Last Saturday hit the deck. Went down at speed, probably 35km+, coming out of a very gentle turn, back wheel slipped and went down. Road rash and bruising on the hip, elbow, and shoulder, plus had three long sleeve tops on which were all ripped. Was part of my final pre-raceseason prep, so was trying to put the hammer down until I blew.

Even though it has not been raining recently there constantly seems to be a layer of moisture on the road, can’t remember the last time I saw a bone dry road(probably pre Xmas). It’s probably more dangerous than a wet road after it has rained, due to its deceptive nature. One other thing was the amount of dirt that ended up on my clothing where I hit the deck, there’s an awful amount of grime on the roads.

Went backout Sunday, but found I couldn’t get off my brakes coming down Cruagh, the confidence definitely takes a dent. Looks like the Ned flanagan will be skipped this weekend until I get my bottle back. Overall relieved I didn’t break any bones.

This time last year, six of us from a group of eight came off on black ice and slid down the road like scattered skittles. Miraculously no injuries or lasting bike damage - healthy respect to the surface from then on.

That grime you refer to is, I think, the residue of recent grittings. The wet roads hold it in place and create effective skid pans coupled with the fact that your tyres, also wet, pick up the same stuff and hold it. I inspected my tyres just after we had a faller in our group this weekend and the grooves (4 Seasons) were almost completely filled with the grit. We need to order some dry windy weather to clear it up - anyone got a voucher for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I came off on ice a couple of Saturdays ago. Luckily, only some road rash, but I do need a new pair of shorts now...

4KuWA2.jpg

Did someone mention a new boards order... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Came off back in September on a slightly greasy road. Was going too fast into a bend downhill and and when I pulled my brakes I locked my rear wheel. Into the ditch so no road rash but broke my collar bone in two places.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Last year I was pushed closer to the edge of the road than I would have liked by an older lady in a micra and hit some ice. The back wheel went from under me. I was doing about 25kmph and having a drink at the time. The bottle fell from my hand and he drove over that. No major damage but serious road rash. I was picking gravel out of my arse for weeks. There is nothing like the feeling of clothes sticking to healing skin.

I took a picture of my arse and leg and look at it sometimes and remember not to pull in for old ladies in micras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

Hit a tree out mountain biking at the end of the summer, chipped a bone in my hand, gave myself a concussion - broke the helmet in three places, destroyed my legs - still rode back to cars after it, wasn't the best from it for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

After the SKT last August cycling slowly back to my car. I fell hard in a stupid gully that ran almost but not quite parallell to the road. Shoulder still a bit sore with certain movements but exercises are helpful. Badly crushed middle finger on my left hand which is still a little stiff. Hadn't had an off for about a year (wet manhole covers) before that.

Advertisement