Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

338265.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I never understood what that microsoft "save" icon was supposed to be until just now. I have been inspired to google that other strange one, for "paste" and it appears to be a clipboard. My knowledge is complete. I feel I have reached some kind of Nirvana. Yippee...

recedite wrote: »
    I never understood what that microsoft "save" icon was supposed to be until just now. I have been inspired to google that other strange one, for "paste" and it appears to be a clipboard. My knowledge is complete. I feel I have reached some kind of Nirvana. Yippee...

That save icon does not belong to micro$oft.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

recedite wrote: »

Thanks a lot! You just made me feel old, since I remember using floppy disks back in the day...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Thanks a lot! You just made me feel old, since I remember using floppy disks back in the day...:(

I remember using the original floppies, 5 inch, which only got stiff when they were spun in the drive.

obplayer wrote: »
    I remember using the original floppies, 5 inch, which only got stiff when they were spun in the drive.

Me and my dirty mind...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Me and my dirty mind...:P

Yeah, I always thought the replacements should have been called stiffies.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

• Advertisement

338357.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

obplayer wrote: »

Pfft. 8" floppies ftw.

8-inch-floppy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You old people, zip disks is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You old people, zip disks is where its at.
    Naw brah, minidisk is tha shiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Pfft. Whippersnappers

338419.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Absolam wrote: »
    Whippersnappers
    Showing my age, but we used to use those punch cards back in the early 1970's as drawing paper in senior infants :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    Showing my age, but we used to use those punch cards back in the early 1970's as drawing paper in senior infants :o

You think that's bad? It reminded me of a knitting machine pattern!

*Toddles off to iron my wrinkles*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

We were still using them in the mid 80s to run the VECs 'mainframes'....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Shrap wrote: »
    You think that's bad? It reminded me of a knitting machine pattern!

The connection is stronger than you might think - the Jacquard Loom was one of the first systems of "punch cards": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

Edit:
    More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

• Advertisement

The Vatican appoints one of its world-famous representatives to an organization called "The Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelisation":

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-finds-new-position-for-bishop-of-bling-1.2097430
    Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst, the so-called “Bishop of Bling” who was removed from the diocese of Limburg in Germany because of his lavish spending on the bishop’s palace, is to be appointed to a new position in the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelisation, according to Rome-based website Vatican Insider.

Bishop Tebartz-van Elst (55) made world headlines two years ago when details of a €30 million renovation project for the bishop’s palace were revealed by a German church-commissioned report. Among the items of lavish expenditure it revealed were works of art, chapel windows, built-in cupboards and also a two-seater bathtub costing approximately €20,000.

The bishop had excused himself by saying he was much more a theologian than an architect, adding that he had been keen to see that the restoration of the period palace be done properly. At the time of his “resignation” from the diocese in March of last year, a Vatican statement had said that, in time, another job would be found for him.

Given that it would have proven difficult to appoint the bishop to another German diocese, it seems that a low-key role has been found for him at New Evangelisation, headed by Archbishop Rino Fisichella. In theory, his new job title will be “delegate for catechism teaching”, or the study of the relevance of church teaching to the New Evangelisation. It remains to be seen what, if anything, Pope Francis will make of the arrival in Rome of this most non-Francis style prelate.
    With excellent photo goodness.

With excellent photo goodness.

Ha! That's a fantastic photo. Well done that photographer - he truly played the hand of god in that :cool:

swampgas wrote: »
    The connection is stronger than you might think - the Jacquard Loom was one of the first systems of "punch cards": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

Edit:
    More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

Knitting machines were highly technical torture devices designed to send you grey early. However, who wouldn't want a jumper with this on it? Makes it all worthwhile....
    il_340x270.686018941_251j.jpg

338496.jpg

What a loon :pac:

An accidental comedian there. It's hard to believe that people can be so ignorant.

---

This quote comes to mind:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

also a two-seater bathtub costing approximately €20,000.

Did his bean-counter not raise any eyebrows at this expense for a supposedly celibate priest?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Worztron wrote: »
    An accidental comedian there. It's hard to believe that people can be so ignorant.

When he was a kid, he watched The Flintstones and thought it was a documentary.

Life ain't always empty.

From YLYL.

338598.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement