Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW Air fairs - Dublin to Boston €150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Any way of stopping in Iceland for a day I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Immigration can't be cleared in Ireland or Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Immigration can't be cleared in Ireland or Iceland

Meaning???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Any way of stopping in Iceland for a day I wonder?

Yeah. They had the head of the airline on Morning Ireland and he said you can stop over if you want. Whether this means you book each leg separately or build it into the one booking I guess you have to look up the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Meaning???

No immigration and customs pre-clearance in Dublin and don't land at a domestic gate in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pre-clearance or not has never bothered me much at all, queue for a bit longer over there is about all. For the prices, it's a tiny thing to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

That link is only showing one way.

By the time you select your return flight and check in your bag and select your seat you are up to €456. Its €494 on skyscanner Dub to Boston with various other airlines with baggage and seat choice included in that.

Am I missing the major savings somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pre-clearance or not has never bothered me much at all, queue for a bit longer over there is about all. For the prices, it's a tiny thing to accept.
    True, it depends I have flown thought it on Us mostly, once I had a massive wait though. the thing is though, Aer Lingus currently fly to these destinations, the layover appears to be two hours. You can fly with Aer Lingus for about E460 return (when they have an offer on) prices are currently from E498, so is saving E100 each way worth it? to some people perhaps...

People visiting the Us are not going to be massively price sensitive in the main I would guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Screw America....delighted there is now direct flights to Iceland! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Idbatterim wrote: »
    True, it depends I have flown thought it on Us mostly, once I had a massive wait though. the thing is though, Aer Lingus currently fly to these destinations, the layover appears to be two hours. You can fly with Aer Lingus for about E460 return (when they have an offer on) prices are currently from E498, so is saving E100 each way worth it? to some people perhaps...

People visiting the Us are not going to be massively price sensitive in the main I would guess...

There are baggage charges to add with Wow too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you wanted to stop off in Iceland for a couple of days am I right in saying you would book three flights?

DUB - ICELAND

ICELAND - BOSTON

BOSTON - DUBLIN

Seems to cost about €370+ baggage fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

370 seems a great price but what would a bag cost return ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

with a bag each way, a larger carry on and the cheapest pre-booked seats, it's close to 500 quid... that's not really all that much cheaper than what you'd find on skyscanner elsewhere is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

COYVB wrote: »
    with a bag each way, a larger carry on and the cheapest pre-booked seats, it's close to 500 quid... that's not really all that much cheaper than what you'd find on skyscanner elsewhere is it?

This was my point exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tusky wrote: »
    If you wanted to stop off in Iceland for a couple of days am I right in saying you would book three flights?

DUB - ICELAND

ICELAND - BOSTON

BOSTON - DUBLIN

This actually doesn't work because the flights from Boston to Dublin are all €250-€300 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tusky wrote: »

DUB - ICELAND

ICELAND - BOSTON

BOSTON - DUBLIN

Add on the cost of meals and other inflight expenses. Aer Lingus give free stuff on transatlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

so it seems its only good if you want a stop over in Iceland or you're only flying one way. True bargain hunters could try Norwegian Air on the return leg, they often have NY to Oslo for €170ish one way, not sure if they fly Boston. Only problem is you have to get between two airports in Oslo to get a Ryanair cheapie back to Dublin. It's hassle but do-able if the flight times match up right.

All the same its great to see transatlantic flight prices coming down, the smart airlines who are buying their fuel right now should be getting rock bottom prices so there's probably a bit more give yet, hopefully we see a sub €400 return to NY or Boston soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    so it seems its only good if you want a stop over in Iceland or you're only flying one way. True bargain hunters could try Norwegian Air on the return leg, they often have NY to Oslo for €170ish one way, not sure if they fly Boston. Only problem is you have to get between two airports in Oslo to get a Ryanair cheapie back to Dublin. It's hassle but do-able if the flight times match up right.

All the same its great to see transatlantic flight prices coming down, the smart airlines who are buying their fuel right now should be getting rock bottom prices so there's probably a bit more give yet, hopefully we see a sub €400 return to NY or Boston soon enough
    Oil could come diwn further. At the moment it's down low but airlines are not benefitting because of the low euro V dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Did Norwegain AIR - Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale Last Month and booked with no

No Checked Baggage
    No Food Pre Purchased
    No Pre Booked Seats

We had a large lunch before we boarded and brought loads of sambos/snacks from home and water we bought in Boots Airside.

Checked in and got 5 seats together as we were a family , Did not purchase any food/drink on board and with 5 Cabin Max bags plus another 2 small bags we had aloads of space for luggage.

5 of us cost a total of £1230 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Did Norwegain AIR - Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale Last Month and booked with

No Checked Baggage
    No Food Pre Purchased
    No Pre Booked Seats

We had a large lunch before we boarded and brought loads of sambos/snacks from home and water we bought in Boots Airside.

Checked in and got 5 seats together as we were a family , Did not purchase any food/drink on board and with 5 Cabin Max bags plus another 2 small bags we had aloads of space for luggage.

5 of us cost a total of £1230 ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

People are missing the whole point, which is that you should pay for what you use. I rarely use my baggage allowance, even though I pay for a baggage allowance in the cost of my ticket. If I can just pay for my flight without extras I don't use and save money, then it's well worth it!

TL;DR: Checked baggage and seat selection are 100% non-essential items for a lot of people (me, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

On the face of it it seems great, but the cheapest return flight is €200, but that's still quite competitive at €350. If I was going for under 7/8 days I could easily bring hand luggage, have done it quite handily before, you just need a good case, although realistically would need to upgrade to the 12kg option as 5kg just wouldn't be enough if not taking check in. Also, being 6ft6', choosing an exit row for the Iceland to Boston and return legs is something I'd splash out on, and just make do with the rest of the trip.

Adding all that up brings it to €442.50 for flights from the 8th to 12th October which is closer to the rates you'd expect elsewhere although considering AL charge €40 each way for an exit row, and this price is already on the cheaper end for this sort of trip, I think ultimately it's a very good price. A 2 hour layover is nothing to scream and shout about tbh and that time would fly by (no pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Meaning???

It means Immigration can't be cleared in Ireland or Iceland
    sugarman wrote: »
    Who cares at those prices!

Doesn't usually take much time over there anyway, was only 25/30mins.

Some will hence my post to inform people
    Corholio wrote: »

Horses for courses and all that, some people will find this quite offputting though

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Muahahaha wrote: »

I have flown DUB-JFK return multiple times for sub 400 with Delta. 365 I think it was the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭gipi

kn wrote: »
    No immigration and customs pre-clearance in Dublin and don't land at a domestic gate in the US.

Pre-clearance isn't guaranteed in Dublin. Last time I travelled to the US (Dub-Boston 2 yrs ago with Aer Lingus), the flight wasn't listed for pre-clearance in Dublin, so all passengers had to queue in immigration at the destination.

/off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

gipi wrote: »
    Pre-clearance isn't guaranteed in Dublin. Last time I travelled to the US (Dub-Boston 2 yrs ago with Aer Lingus), the flight wasn't listed for pre-clearance in Dublin, so all passengers had to queue in immigration at the destination.

/off topic

THat was 2 year ago. I discovered the same thing myself back then, arrived to AL checkin desk to be told that 2 flights a day didn't pre-clear, including the Boston flight I was taking... not happy..

Anyway, since they expanded the preclearnace are in Dublin airport, all US bound flights pre-clear now

From the DAA web page:
    "Passengers on all US bound flights clear immigration, customs and agriculture inspections at Dublin Airport."

Advertisement