Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

• 31-01-2015 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So Tiger posted the worst 36 hole score of his career to follow on from the horror showing that was his Hero event before Chistmas. The US papers say it is a sad sight to see the great man/golfer reduced to playing like a 12 handicapper.

I'm conflicted because on the one hand, I'd like to see him go head-to-head with Rory, I think he brought golf to a new and thrilling level, viewing is less exciting when he's not in contention, I'm not sure that the young players like Reed/Speith/fowler can "step up" yet. But on the other hand I think he's a surly, bad mannered, self indulgent creep and I would hate to see him break Jack's record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

completely agree. when he was at his peak it was amazing to watch how he dominated the game. Rory is a top golfer to watch but the excitement isn't the same. but on the other hand tiger has a bad side and it is sad to see the difference in his game over the past few years. him and Rory on top form would be great watching all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

I miss watching the Tiger of old too. Some of the stuff he was doing in 08, the putts he drained when beating Mediate that year, amazing. Or the chip in at the Masters against Di Marco etc. I do think Rory is getting close to that level. Probably just isn't as much exciting stuff from Rory as his FIR is so good that he plays the game a bit more straight forward.

As a person, Tiger seems an arse alrite but I'd say there's plenty more behind him. Like Bubba seems genuinely insufferable, D Clarke the same, Garcia....I just like watching them and leave it at that.

So on the Tiger issue, I'd love to see him get to 19 majors, just to say I seen history. He'd still be a tool tho, with his Simon Cowell high trousers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When I read about his collapse this weekend I did feel a tinge of sadness. Hope he can recover to some extent, he was some player to watch back in the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Short and sweet from Tiger's Twitter feed...

"Disappointed, but really appreciate the incredible support this week."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I can understand he divides opinion but I'm 100% in his camp. It hurts to see him struggle and when he's on top of a leaderboard I'm hoping he smashes it. I don't care what he's like as a person as its not really my business.

What I do know is we've lived and played golf in the Tiger era, a man who will be remembered as being one of the best ever. I hope he gets to 20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

the lawman wrote: »
    I can understand he divides opinion but I'm 100% in his camp. It hurts to see him struggle and when he's on top of a leaderboard I'm hoping he smashes it. I don't care what he's like as a person as its not really my business.

What I do know is we've lived and played golf in the Tiger era, a man who will be remembered as being one of the best ever. I hope he gets to 20.

The best ever in my opinion. Totally changed the game. He was incredible. When I started playing nearly 20yrs ago I was slated by all my mates. Now every single one of them play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I always liked Tiger. In fact I had to think a moment whether I was going to write 'liked' or 'loved'.:o I took up the game partly because of him. Golf owes him big time (not because of me starting to play obviously ;) )

I know, say nothing. Its a bit sad for a grown man like myself, but I can't help it. I'm a fanboy.

I don't even mind his antics. I wouldn't aspire to some of the off course stuff he did myself, but I like the fact he's not a polished standard boy. I like it when people have a bit of a capricious or even slightly dangerous edge to them.

I miss him. Watching him now I'm worried he will be never be the same at all. I know he will probably never dominate as he did, but right now I'm worried that he may actually pack it in if he can't turn it around this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Hope I'm wrong but can't see him ever winning another major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I don't think the media is giving him enough time, that being said I think a few smaller tournaments would give him a chance to get it back together with less of a media spotlight.

A bit random but I'd love to see him back at Titleist, even when I wasn't interested in golf I'd watch him on the TV and for a long time it was the only golf brand I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Big Tiger fan. Favourite golfer ever, not person. I know people say that is not part of it.
    But that is bull**** - you can be a great sportsman and a great person. Then people say it is none of our business - it isn't , but it is Tiger who presented himself as something he wasn't. He was a fake.

I love being around to see the greats - as your Dad or older brothers would go on about old Footballers or sports stars, Pele - Best - Eusebio or go on about Ali or Nicklaus or Watson, we seen the end bit of Seve.

We have been lucky the last few years to be around to see Nadal and Federer and Messi and we seen a bit of Maradona, The Spanish Football team or to watch Ronnie O'sullivan play. Shefflin was great to see too.

A big disappointment was Armstrong as we know that was a bag of **** - but got great pleasure watching him in all naivety.

Was at an Olympics too and has been great to be around for Bolt and to be around to see Haile Gebrselassi or to see Phelps get his 8 golds and see him swim , even if only on tv.

Not a rugby fan but loved watching Lomu and Mccaw and got a great buzz watching BOD and Paul O'Connell over their full career.

You could go on a bit in different sports.

But, it is the pleasure of being there watching it live, perhaps we think our own experiences are the most important as the generation before think of their time.

But - to actually make a point. You knew without doubt, without any doubt what Tiger was doing was bizarre, ground breaking, history writing. All the clichés. You knew you were watching the best ever in the moment. Without getting into the major debate. It was the physical aspect you were watching. Power, speed, control. Was also a pleasure to see a guy who wanted to win every time. Irrespective of money or event. At the time you knew people in the future will look back. Luckily now, we have tv - HD and almost too much documented and recorded. So people can look back in a different way.
    It is difficult when just looking back to get a sense of the global golf revolution Tiger created.
    He not just brought golf into mainstream - he transcended race and social divide. He even was part of the computer game generation - kids played his game , without ever holding a club. There was global marketing of golf and Tiger was the number 1 player in this. He was the face, image and modernisation of golf.

So after all that, he never had a real life, he was a manufactured golfer in a way . He never had a great personality, never made the same mistakes as everyone else. It was a very strange life for anyone to have.

His brand was "I'm Tiger Woods". But not sure, Tiger himself or anyone ever got to know who was Tiger Woods. I hope he finds that for himself and has a happier life - he clearly hasn't been happy for a long time.

I would have loved to have seen him take the record from Jack - people don't like me to say this , but the time Tiger won his majors was a totally different game - a global sport , golf was the reserve of a select few in the past and the top level of the game was not as deep at the time Tiger won his.

But, I'm willing to let that bit go.

Still has been an absolute pleasure to be around for it and to see him in person.

As a golfer going forward, he is never going to be physically the same. He can win again , but the level of aggression in his younger swing is going to and has caught up with him. He is still swinging remarkably fast for a lad that has had back surgery - and has nothing to prove. That is also part of the problem - his whole life was about proving something to someone. Is that motivation ever going to be there ? Perhaps him been written off could be that motivation. But, not the same as him against everyone as it was as a kid.

• Advertisement

You left out Jordan :eek:, the greatest athlete to dominate his sport in par with Woods and we also got to see him as his best (on TV). Jordan late 80's early 90's and Woods turn of the millennium IMHO. Jordan with his two threepeats and Woods through that Grand Slam and 54 rounds in a row without going over par streak. Both were playing and dominating their sports like no other...

MichaelJordan_Image1.jpg

800x600xtiger-woods-2000-us-open1.jpg.pagespeed.ic_._N349kpttq-624x468.jpg

0311-shows-celeb-bff-tiger-jordan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

slave1 wrote: »
    You left out Jordan :eek:, the greatest athlete to dominate his sport in par with Woods and we also got to see him as his best (on TV). Jordan late 80's early 90's and Woods turn of the millennium IMHO. Jordan with his two threepeats and Woods through that Grand Slam and 54 rounds in a row without going over par streak. Both were playing and dominating their sports like no other...

Except of course Michael Schumacher who was even more dominant than both of the above. A lot of similarities also with Tiger in that they were both so focused at being the very best at what they do and inside, they just knew they were better than any other competitor. That led to them coming across as arrogant and perhaps selfish in their pursuit of dominance.

I think Darren Clarke summed up Tiger's current situation perfectly below..
    "It would be wrong to read any more into how Tiger played in Phoenix other than to say that any time you make major swing changes in your game you are going to have to crawl before you walk," said Clarke, who has struggled for form himself since winning the Open Championship in 2011.

"It may be fine on the practice range but you only find out what's really happening in your game in competition. If Tiger makes changes in his game then he does so for a reason.

"He's the best player in the world and his perseverance and dedication will ensure you'll find him back up at the pointed end of a leaderboard and not down at the bottom.

"So I am not at all surprised or shocked as that would be foolish, and if you're making changes in your game then you're making changes.

"He'll be fine. He's too good a player not to be."

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12232/9690420/phoenix-open-darren-clarke-believes-tiger-woods-will-bounce-back-soon

HighLine wrote: »
    Except of course Michael Schumacher who was even more dominant than both of the above. A lot of similarities also with Tiger in that they were both so focused at being the very best at what they do and inside, they just knew they were better than any other competitor. That led to them coming across as arrogant and perhaps selfish in their pursuit of dominance.

Ah F1, I gave up that sport on a sunny day in May when Senna was taken, Schu is great but I'm afraid that his equipment advantage eliminates him (in my mind anyhow). Jordan and Woods had no equipment advantage over their peers.

slave1 wrote: »
    Ah F1, I gave up that sport on a sunny day in May when Senna was taken, Schu is great but I'm afraid that his equipment advantage eliminates him (in my mind anyhow). Jordan and Woods had no equipment advantage over their peers.

Schumacher went to Ferrari when they were in a slump and proceeded to dominate in a car that certainly had no advantage (at an early stage).As for Senna... certainly one to add to the above list also. Anyway... off topic I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have to laugh at Clarke calling Tiger 'the best player in the world'. It's like people just say these things because they feel like they should or say it out of habit.

Rory is the best player in the world, by some distance.

Tiger won lots of majors, played awesome golf, lied and spoofed his way through his career and personal life and has generally been an a*shole.

He hasn't won a Major since 2008. To put that in perspective, he hasn't won a Major since before Rory McIlroy's first professional win.

He's done. Golf needs to move on and stop following the guy who's shooting 82

Ah I don't think Clarke means at the minute, he was probably referring to best in the world ever, above Jack et al. I still say Pele is the best footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Have to laugh at Clarke calling Tiger 'the best player in the world'. It's like people just say these things because they feel like they should or say it out of habit.

Rory is the best player in the world, by some distance.

Tiger won lots of majors, played awesome golf, lied and spoofed his way through his career and personal life and has generally been an a*shole.

He hasn't won a Major since 2008. To put that in perspective, he hasn't won a Major since before Rory McIlroy's first professional win.

He's done. Golf needs to move on and stop following the guy who's shooting 82

:eek: Ah go and wash your mouth, er fingertips. (only messing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Give the guy a break he just needs more reps!!! It's a process you know, it takes time to trust that process.
    I love watching him he's unreal!!! People are geting upset because he's not meeting there expectations, give the guy a break. He won player of the year only 2 years ago when Rory was at his worst!!!

I was going to say a few more sports people , but just got a bit tired. Sierna Williams for example.

Wouldn't be too pushed on US sports. But Jordan , yes.

But to add. Tiger is arguably more important than any of the ones mentioned.

The only one in our life more important is going to be probably Messi. As football is a proper global game.
    Again - just opinions but.

But in relation to golf, you'd struggle to name a more important person than than Eldrick Tont "Tiger" Woods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Woods is finished. His time at the very top is gone.

No harm either - he's not a good guy at all.

On a serious note - changes or no changes - how could Tiger woods have an 82.

Has to be more going on. Like his short game was shocking,

Unless he has spent so long on big changes the short game has gone, very strange. He said he hit 1000s upon 1000s of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

It's strange really, how he's let his short game go off so much. I mean the guy was arguably in the top 5 or 10 scramblers ever. His whole career was pretty much built on getting up and down IMO. What would he ever need to change, technique wise, with his chipping ? I don't get it.

I wouldn't presume to know what goes on in his head, but I wonder if he's seeing the young guys blasting it past him now with ease and the focus is all on the long game. Even at that though, most half decent players could not touch a club for few weeks and still chip pretty good, certainly it wouldn't be as bad as he has been this week. Maybe it's purely mental.

Part of me feels sorry for him, being beaten by journeymen, but then when he spouts the sh1te like "release patterns" and "getting reps in", I think for f--k sake, it's chipping, there's your wedge, now chip the ball up beside the hole like a normal person would !! Wtf !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm very sad about Tiger. Always loved watching him play, and I like watching Rory too. It just annoys me the way they both completely dominate the TV coverage, at the expense of coverage of other players. I think watching every single shot Tiger was playing this week did not do anyone any good.

I agree, look at his game off the tee, woods, irons in etc but leave the short game as is (was)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

He seems to have aged a lot in the last few months imo. Looks like a man on serious medication, not DJ esque mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

How does the greatest professional ever lose his touch in such a short time.
    Beggars belief tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I wouldn't be writing tiger off just yet.

Let's see how his game is come Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Many many majors left in him. He only has to look at Singh and even Ronnie o Sullivan in snooker for inspiration. Keep your body fit and the mind follows.
    Fit Tiger and fit Rory, there is only one winner.

As long as he can swing a club I honestly see him winning majors in his 50's... Absolute athlete...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

vienne86 wrote: »
    I'm very sad about Tiger. Always loved watching him play, and I like watching Rory too. It just annoys me the way they both completely dominate the TV coverage, at the expense of coverage of other players. I think watching every single shot Tiger was playing this week did not do anyone any good.

The cameras follow everything he does even when he is playing terrible. Its frustrating to watch.

Advertisement