Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish licence v UK Penalty Points

• 31-01-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Moved to the UK in September last, I have a full Irish licence and thinking of buying a car here in the UK. Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what would happen if someone with an Irish licence gets pulled over/pass a speed camera for e.g. exceeding the limit, would that person receive a fixed penalty notice along with points or just fine?

How about bringing the car on UK plates into Ireland and passed a GATSO van exceeding the speed limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

About 5 years ago I set off 3 In one night, they are everywhere over there and I wasnt actually flying like just a few mph over the limit. Never heard anything back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

But you dont have to change to a uk licence over here after 6 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Never been asked to change my licence by guards or questioned about it , the same with insurance companys when you tell them you have a uk licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Patww79 wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you got the 6 months from, can you elaborate. Did you exchange an non-EEA licence to get an EEA one?

NI residents with a foreign EEA licence can drive in NI for as long as their licence is valid.
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/driving-in-ni-on-a-foreign-licence/driving-in-northern-ireland-ni-on-a-licence-issued-in-a-european-economic-area-eea-country.htm

GB residents with a foreign EEA licence can drive in GB until the age of 70 or are resident in GB for 3 years, whichever is longer.
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y/a-resident-of-great-britain/full-car-and-or-motorcycle/european-union-or-european-economic-area

If you got your foreign EEA licence by exchanging it for a non-EEA one you can drive for max 12 mths.
    Visitors (non-residents) can drive for as long as their licence is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Moved to the UK in September last, I have a full Irish licence and thinking of buying a car here in the UK. Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what would happen if someone with an Irish licence gets pulled over/pass a speed camera for e.g. exceeding the limit, would that person receive a fixed penalty notice along with points or just fine?

How about bringing the car on UK plates into Ireland and passed a GATSO van exceeding the speed limit?
    No EU country can add points to a licence from another state. However if a traffic offence warrants a ban then a court can ban you from driving in that country but this does not prevent you driving elsewhere.

I think the UK operates a ghost licence system so can record points against your name (but not your non UK licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No EU country can add points to a licence from another state. However if a traffic offence warrants a ban then a court can ban you from driving in that country but this does not prevent you driving elsewhere.

I think the UK operates a ghost licence system so can record points against your name (but not your non UK licence).

While technically it's true, but I think there's work around here, and many countries use it.

F.e. in Poland if you are resident there, but hold foreign licence, upon committing any penalty points offence, penalty points are added to register they hold. Fact that you hold foreign licence is irrelevant.
    If you exceed the points limit there, you will get banned from driving in Poland, even though you hold foreign licence.
    They can not seize your licence, and they can not ban you from driving abroad, but they can and do ban drivers with foreign licence who exceeded penalty points threshold there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CiniO wrote: »
    While technically it's true, but I think there's work around here, and many countries use it.

F.e. in Poland if you are resident there, but hold foreign licence, upon committing any penalty points offence, penalty points are added to register they hold. Fact that you hold foreign licence is irrelevant.
    If you exceed the points limit there, you will get banned from driving in Poland, even though you hold foreign licence.
    They can not seize your licence, and they can not ban you from driving abroad, but they can and do ban drivers with foreign licence who exceeded penalty points threshold there.

That is exactly wat slimjimmc said:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

I'm working in Nottingham and have an Irish licence, UK car. Got caught by a camera doing 37mph in a 30mph zone and received a letter last week.

Will let you know how it goes . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

wonski wrote: »
    That is exactly wat slimjimmc said:confused:

He said that a offence attracting ban can cause ban in UK even for foreign licence holder.

And he said that points accumulate against your name if you are foreign licence holder in ghost licence system.

But the question is, if you exceed point limit on this ghost licence system, will you get banned in UK?

Because in Ireland if you exceed points on ghost licence system, you won't get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

slimjimmc wrote: »

They do. It's a D9 form

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Yes, the ghost system only operates if the Police stop you.

I got points on my Ghost licence for speeding to the ferry

It doesnt transfer onto your Irish Licence

choons wrote: »
    I'm working in Nottingham and have an Irish licence, UK car. Got caught by a camera doing 37mph in a 30mph zone and received a letter last week.

Will let you know how it goes . . .

Well I got off lightly . . . because I was only 7mph over there's an option of an AA awareness course instead of a fine or points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Well I got off lightly . . . because I was only 7mph over there's an option of an AA awareness course instead of a fine or points.

Except. I don't believe the course is free. I believe it's £90...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup, it was £90 when I got stung for it about a year ago. The fine was only £60 iirc

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Except. I don't believe the course is free. I believe it's £90...

This is true. Much better than points I feel!

This is true. Much better than points I feel!

Definitely. The course sounds kind of interesting too tbh. I wouldn't mind doing it over the points myself but a second time around if that's an option, might not be so interesting! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement