Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12 Monkeys [SyFy - US] [** Spoilers **]

• 03-03-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Anybody heard of a TV reboot of this most excellent film? Haven't found out much about it except the fact that it's gonna be on SyFy and the lead female character's name will be to Cassandra Railly, not Catherine.

Can only imagine that it will follow the spread of the virus but aside from that I'm not sure where it will, or even can, go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Syfy has ordered a 12-episode series to premiere in January 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Oh dear God no!

A 'SyFy' channel that can't spell Sci-fi tackling one of the most perfect peices of Gilliam headf***ery is always going to raise my hackles.
    There's no reason for this series to exist, the film is a perfect closed loop of time travel magic as it stands and I suspect they're going to 'quantum leap' the show in the realm of stupidity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without Gilliam's visual flourish & eccentricity, that adaptation looks incredibly drab and dull, not to mention cheap. Given how much of the film's mystique is anchored within its offbeat aesthetics, you'd think Scy-Fy might have pushed the boat out a little. Then again, this is the channel that'd rather spend its cash on Sharknado 2 and garbage like that than intelligent programming. Battlestar feels like a long time ago.

It's equally disappointing to see the adaptation's dropping one of the more intriguing cornerstones of the movie: was Bruce Willis' character genuinely a time-traveller, or just insane? Seems that won't be translated to the TV show. I'll give it a chance, but the film's such a perfectly weighted concept, a genuine closed (time) loop and I don't see how any TV show could capture that pacing.

• Advertisement

I'm really liking how it's shaping up, honestly I think that that worst thing they could have done would have been to make it slavishly loyal to the original. The trailer looks decent if somewhat uninspired but the cast is good and like all sci-fi, you have to give it a series to find it's feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

looks pretty good and I do like Zeljko Ivanek, he usually adds a bit of fun to it!

Trailer below (as above one is geo blocked)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So is the show going to follow the same story as the film? As in basically the main guy here is going to James Cole (bruce willis' character)?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts tonight US time early morning our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it .... what an excellent setup for a series.

Solid cast too - it's like a cult TV supergroup. :)

Must watch the movie again - can't really remember it.

Ye fun opening episode and always good to see Kirk Acevedo hopefully he role will be a bit bigger as the shows goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ye fun opening episodes

FYP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've never seen the film :eek: :P Is it a prerequisite?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

No not really.

But the movie is well worth a look in it's own right. It's top notch science fiction and Brad Pitt is really really good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tegerman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I would say yes. The movie is a msterpiece and you don't want to soil your experience of it by having seen the TV show first. Same as with the Fargo film and TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I think this premiered the weekend, It's actually pretty good!

Follows the journey of a time traveler from the post-apocalyptic future who appears in present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will eventually decimate the human race.

http://screenrant.com/12-monkeys-tv-series-trailer/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Caught the pilot last night. Definitely has piqued my interest and I'll keep watching.

Another plus: Katrina from Suits... yum yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good start. Has promise. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

in the first ep why didn't he just tell the guy what he did, he might just want to avoid it

• Advertisement

why didn't he go back to his own time the first time he splintered? after he was shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Checked IMDB because I wanted to see what the actor who played Cole was in previously as it as annoying me. His agent/publicist or whoever wrote the bio certainly thinks a lot of their client.

"An actor who consistently brings intensity and intelligence to his work, Aaron Stanford is poised to become one of the foremost talents of his generation."

don't really buy the chemistry between them

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Just finished episode three. It didn't think it was going to be rated as high as it is on IMDBhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt3148266/?ref_=nv_sr_4, but it's up there. The plot in 2043 with double crossing Max and Deacon is really going to open this up.
    I've had great respect for Kirk Acevedo since Fringe. He's going to make this show for me.
    I should have waited before starting to watch it. It's one of the shows that I really want to binge on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Why did Cole shoot the doc at the end of the last ep?

naughto wrote: »
    Why did Cole shoot the doc at the end of the last ep?
    he didnt' want anyone else finding out what he told him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I presume because he knew the doc was never going to get off the island and would reveal information on the Night Room to the Army of the 12 Monkeys. As far as Cole is concerned everyone is already dead so killing someone is not an issue if it will save the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm wondering how long until they realise it's actually all pretty pointless. I mean it's clear all this time travelling has happened before, with the most recent example being the tall man being scarred before Cole did the scarring. And another example of the predestination time travel is him meeting Leland, which was at least the second time for Leland. Or just the fact that Cassie named Cole in her message.

On another note, how are the splinters controlled? I thought they were random at first but he seems to be able to choose when to go back to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Really liked this when it first stared, its loosing me tough.

Shame, as it has a good premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I am the same turned off the last ep about 10 mins in I might go back to it doubt it though

Advertisement