Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 costs; planning...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Nope have to be a registered full time student.

Ok thanks, is there anything similar to a J1 that's not for students
    that doesn't cost an arm and leg? Have uncle living there so saving a little on accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

Hi guys,

I'm a 23 year old girl thinking of heading to Boston/New York for the summer. None of my friends are interested so I'd be going alone! Is anyone in the same boat? Or has anyone gone to either city before? Would really appreciate any advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, is there anything similar to a J1 that's not for students
    that doesn't cost an arm and leg? Have uncle living there so saving a little on accommodation

Nope TBH. Either be incredibly highly skilled, marry an American or study over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Ditzie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm a 23 year old girl thinking of heading to Boston/New York for the summer. None of my friends are interested so I'd be going alone! Is anyone in the same boat? Or has anyone gone to either city before? Would really appreciate any advice! :)
    I'm going working in a summer camp just outside New York for the summer for 10 weeks and then travelling for 4 weeks. Will visit New York and probably Boston and maybe the west coast. I'm a 20 year old male student travelling alone

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andycarroll1

Im working with travel bug limited.
    the cost for a j1 visa with us is 539 euros.
    This includes:
    SEVIS Fee
    DS-2019
    Insurance
    Preparation for Visa Application and Embassy Interview
    Pre-Arrival Orientation
    Support of your sponsor while in the USA
    Assistance with job approval by the sponsor.

Our motto is buy your own flights, This can save on average €250 per applicant!
    PM me for more details.

• Advertisement

This doesn't include the $160 US Embassy fee either right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andycarroll1

Thats right, the embassy fee is seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NeilK_94

Hey,

Myself and a friend are planning on going on the J1 to Myrtle beach for the Summer and I was wondering if any of you could give me a heads up of how much all of this will cost by the time I get out there.

I've been looking at applying through the USIT website but it seems like they charge a lot extra just for the sake of it. How did you get out there and how much had you spent by the time you had gotten your feet on the ground.

Is it easy get jobs there and are there many Irish students there?

I'm basically wondering if I should go through the USIT system and pay all the fees or should I just apply for a work visa and go from there.

Thanks.

NeilK_94 wrote: »
    Hey,

Myself and a friend are planning on going on the J1 to Myrtle beach for the Summer and I was wondering if any of you could give me a heads up of how much all of this will cost by the time I get out there.

I've been looking at applying through the USIT website but it seems like they charge a lot extra just for the sake of it. How did you get out there and how much had you spent by the time you had gotten your feet on the ground.

I'm basically wondering if I should go through the USIT system and pay all the fees or should I just apply for a work visa and go from there.

Thanks.

There is no way to just 'apply for a work visa'. You have to go through an agency to get the sponsorship required to get a visa. You won't get change out of €1000 inc flights (and that's if you fly out early, if you have to wait till June because of exams expect €1100+). I've found SAYIT slightly cheaper than USIT but that's just my personal experience. Travelbug would have worked out at even more for me (their fee of €539 + $160 Embassy fee + Flight would have been more expensive than SAYIT for me).

You then need a minimum of €1000 to get started (they ask for a bank statement at immigration).

J1 is an amazing experience but its known to be expensive because of the travel agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I flew to San Francisco last summer. I changed my flight date once before I went for an extra 150 dollars but all in I had spent over 2000 euro on everything before I had even arrived in the States. I went through USIT and they gave me no help at all to be honest. Its a ridiculous money racket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Booked accommodation for our (rather large) group in Newport RI. We need to have it organised before we head out as we only need the lease for 2 months and with the size of our group it is rather unlikely that we would sort it out on arrival! Does take a huge amount of stress out of the whole affair though! At this stage costs for us are looking at €455 for SAYIT & embassy related charges, €621 for flights in and out of Boston, and around $1000 for accommodation including deposit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 112480698

Swel wrote: »
    Me and a friend are also going on a J1 next summer, looking at santa monica / san diego. If anyone has any advice or wants to join, the more the merrier!
    Both from waterford, 21/22 :)

hey, were 3 21 yr old lads from galway looking for people to share accom with in san diego, I thought pacific beac in san diego looked like a great place to live, ye have any ideas/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 112480698

Rachel23 wrote: »
    So myself and another girl are thinking of going on a J1 this year, I'll be 21 & she'll be 24. We were thinking of going to the west coast, maybe San Diego/San Fran. Becasue NY is way to expensive for rent and that ~ well so i heard!
    We havent really looked into it too well, it will be our first time on a j1, and have no idea what to expect!

is it really hard to find a job, is it expensive?
    oh, and if anyone would be upto it..we'd like to stay with other people to get the rent down & meet new people etc. D :)

were 3 21 yr old lads from galway looking to share accom in san diego. interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Speaking of costs...how many dollars have people bought? I got 1.20'a few weeks back but it was 1.08 today! If it goes to parity it'll be great for coming back but screw us all going over

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Speaking of costs...how many dollars have people bought? I got 1.20'a few weeks back but it was 1.08 today! If it goes to parity it'll be great for coming back but screw us all going over

I'd hold off on buying at the moment, even though it may still go down of everything goes tits up in Greece, but the likelyhood is that it'll reach a better price at some point between now and when you head off, right after the Greek elections and the ECB announcing quantative easing is going to be a particular through!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I'd hold off on buying at the moment, even though it may still go down of everything goes tits up in Greece, but the likelyhood is that it'll reach a better price at some point between now and when you head off, right after the Greek elections and the ECB announcing quantative easing is going to be a particular through!

I spose if it's gone down so quick it could in theory go back up but I can't see it back at 1.20 before we head off. Especially seen as the big German banks are saying it'll go to parity. I guess if it came back up 5 or 6 cents it would be better than nothing! Fairly sickening to think it's come down so much in as little as a few months!

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I spose if it's gone down so quick it could in theory go back up but I can't see it back at 1.20 before we head off. Especially seen as the big German banks are saying it'll go to parity. I guess if it came back up 5 or 6 cents it would be better than nothing! Fairly sickening to think it's come down so much in as little as a few months!

Well of course you could always buy an option on dollars if you were real finance nerd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Steffieboo

Hey guys just came across the thread and me and a friend of mine are going on the j1 this summer thinking of NYC or Boston.. anyone interested in headin that way and wanna join us your more than welcome. We are both 22 year old females in college in Waterford!

Hey hows things! I just seen your post there about j1 in NY! Myself and a friend are plannin on headin over as well. Have you guys booked it yet? We're looking to try team up with others headin over. If ya wanna get me on my phone or fb you can. 0877641010, Stephanie Healy on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 6 orlalc94

NeilK_94 wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks.

Hey, me and two of my friends just booked today to go to myrtle beach for the summer! We went through USIT and its working out at 977 euro flying into new york and you must book an additional connecting flight to myrtle beach which is about 180-200 euro on top of the 977. Also the embassy fee of 160, so altogether its about 1300euro for myrtle beach. Were flying out on the 21st of may and coming back the 20th of August. There are plenty of jobs there, the USIT lady said about 4000 jobs each summer for J1 students around the boardwalk in shops, restaurants etc. A major reason we chose myrtle beach was the weather! It's really hot and sunny which was exactly what we wanted! Hope this helps! If you end up deciding to go, PM me with any details you find out! :D No harm to have a few contacts over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Looking for people with experience of having done a J1. Do you actually end up making money or do you break even/make a loss considering travelling and living expenses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 J1Summer2015

Hi,

This is a bit of a grey area but with regards to working on the J1 (in the U.S.) can you mainly just get shop/bar/restaurant work? A lot of employment websites advertise internships but someone said a regular J1 would not allow for such a job. They said the same would apply for summer camps as it would be related to teaching...

Has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

corkoian wrote: »
    I'm going working in a summer camp just outside New York for the summer for 10 weeks and then travelling for 4 weeks. Will visit New York and probably Boston and maybe the west coast. I'm a 20 year old male student travelling alone

Oh wow, are the summer camp providing you with accommodation then? Because finding somewhere to live and a job is what I'm most nervous about!

thelad95 wrote: »
    Looking for people with experience of having done a J1. Do you actually end up making money or do you break even/make a loss considering travelling and living expenses?

It seems to be hard to know, most people say you "break even" but some include programme fee and flights and all that in it while others don't. I suppose it also depends on whether or not you get a job that pays/tips well, how expensive your accommodation is and whether you go travelling at the end.

Pretty much everyone I know that's been on one has said if you come back even then you've been lucky. That said, you'd be more likely if you went outside of the major metropolitan areas (New York, Boston, LA, San Fran etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

From my experience (NY and Chicago) you work to live on a J1. I've never come home with anything substantial as I usually work for 2 months and save up for travelling on the third. I came home from New York with $17 haha. Going to be the same for me this year in California.

Managed to get a job today, have both accommodation and job sorted now, which is great, now I can hopefully relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Does anyone have any information on the Berkeley Student Co-op's? I may be heading over alone so I think that this would be the best option for me, rent is not too expensive & it seems pretty easy to apply etc! Has anybody else looked into this? Or stayed in one of the Co-op's before? Any info/advice on them would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Ditzie wrote: »
    Oh wow, are the summer camp providing you with accommodation then? Because finding somewhere to live and a job is what I'm most nervous about!

Yup food, accommodation and paid for 10 weeks and then you have 4 weeks to travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Im about to book with USIT for a J1, when do they expect you to book your flights? Im going with a group and there not fully sure on where where going yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Anyone using Sayit? I have to upload a profile image 150px by 200px. How do I do this? What sort of picture are they looking for?

Advertisement