Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl

• 01-03-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

From my dealing with eircom and esat over the last 2-3 weeks, information has come my way and probably many others, but eircom are going to release it by the end of march in serveral key towns in the south east, Carlow town is one of them. Arklow is another, parts of Waterford, Kilkenny city etc..

So it may still be crap with a 4GB cap but at least the price has dropped some at 55/m inc vat. One thing, VIA are reselling eircom's adsl and will be a bit cheaper so maybe thats a better option.

Regards,

Paul

p.s. ill post a full list of south east towns that should be enabled by the end of march early April.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Sounds good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Eircom were upgrading something down the road from me a couple of weeks ago so maybe ..........

Where are you based Mossy Monk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

esat already released theirs, and its uncaped (afaik) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by ManWithThePlan
    Where are you based Mossy Monk?

just outside Dungarvan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

is this another pay 3 months in advance, 12 month contract like esats

or is it just pay 55 pound a month, not 165 every 3 months

just curious

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Any idea if it'll be in New Ross (just it and Bunclody without DSL, and New Ross is bigger ;))? I assume that the full uncapped multiuser packages would also be available and not just the 4GB/month?

Brendan

Hmm, methinks it'll be a long long time before good ol' Rosslare get broadband. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Any idea if it'll be in New Ross (just it and Bunclody without DSL, and New Ross is bigger ;))? I assume that the full uncapped multiuser packages would also be available and not just the 4GB/month?

Brendan

Brendan,

New Ross is one of the planned exchanges to be opened up to the market in the next few weeks, keep yours eyes open :-)

Still don't have full list on me, will get it from another PC tommorrow.

Paul

Sounds very good. The end of paying so much for Aramiska looks to be in sight! :D

Brendan

• Advertisement

Those Aramiska prices are insane. :rolleyes:

You got that list yet flamegrill?

Also waiting here. :)

Well I eventually rang Eircom and they confirmed that New Ross was scheduled to be upgraded by the start of April anyway. :)

Brendan

LOL - My bad - been very busy etc ...

ill em snag the list in the morning.

Paul

Sorry about the delay Guys and Galls, so here's the list:

Arklow, Athy, Carlow, Enniscorthy, Gorey, Greystones, New Ross, Waterford Central, Waterford Tycor, Wexford and Wicklow Town.

Now bare in mind once these babies go live it-ll be 2-3 weeks i'd say before anyone can get it.

So all going well some of us should have ADSL by the end of April :-)

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Flamegriill, can you clarify..you say Greystones is included.

Esat have ADSL in Greystones exchange..are Eircom putting it in as well ?

yes that is correct - eircom do own the exchanges after all and they will eventually have it in all the places esat can offer it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

Thanks for the reply.

I'm deeply disorientated and seem to have entered a surreal parallel universe, where I have a choice of Irish broadband connectivity providers and there's competition in the Irish retail broadband market. It seemed to me more likely Eircom would totally ignore the already-enabled Esat exchanges and I'd be stuck paying the same price for half the speed of the Eircom product, since Esat would have no incentive to change their offering where they have no competition.

As of today 27/3/2003 ADSL is available in Carlow town and the surrounding area's up to 2.5KM.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

got an email from IOL about adsl and broadband through electricity lines. must find it and post it

Got ADSL installed here today ...

Still can't order it for home, as there is a problem doing the line tests in this area.... pain in the bum but sure, i have it here now so ....... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Still no DSL in New-Ross - eircom are "still working on it" and expect it to be ready in a few weeks. :(

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Got ADSL installed here today ...

Still can't order it for home, as there is a problem doing the line tests in this area.... pain in the bum but sure, i have it here now so ....... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

is here in carlow town? I just got told today that they are having problems with the exchange and it will be another 2 weeks before they can test my line.

nagero

Originally posted by nagero
    is here in carlow town? I just got told today that they are having problems with the exchange and it will be another 2 weeks before they can test my line.

nagero

Yup its carlow town on pollerton road.

They are indeed having problems testing the lines, AFAIR they it was working fine for the first week and there have been problems since.

It looks like its going to be a winner for business etc in carlow as most would spend in excess of 300/month on isdn, but I can also see why there may be problems .....

Paul

I'm now pleased to report that ADSL is now available in New-Ross! :) Ordered the enhanced service tonight. Initially they couldnt seem to figure out if it was upgraded - the exchange was down as still being upgraded, but my line was passing the test, but after a brief wait they decided that it was indeed upgraded. ;) The online store still says the exchange isnt upgraded, but anyone wanting it can order it by ringing for the moment. Now all I have to do is wait and buy myself a router. :(

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I would be interested in knowing if ADSL is easily available within Waterford city, and generally what areas, around ardkeen? Cork Road? The reason I ask is because I may be moving back to Waterford for a while soon and high speed internet access is essential for me, so any house I rent must have it.
    Also what about availability outside Waterford, in County Kilkenny, Mooncoin, Piltown, Carrick-on-Suir, does anyone have any service out in those areas?
    I have talked with Eircom about it back in March but talking to Eircom's customer service people is like banging your head againist a wall, I had to drag information from them like it was top secret or something and the two people I spoke with gave me different information which left me more confused.

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thankfully I'm in Waterford Central, therefore I'm able to get it. Unfortunatly, it's still a bit outta my price range. What price is it for uncapped??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

no chance of it comin to tramore anytime soon then eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭frea

Is there anybody that supplies ADSL for Tramore?

Advertisement