Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-appears-to-be-on-its-way/

I saw this post from PC Gamer as I was scrolling through my news feed and it really grabbed my attention. This would be a very interesting installment to the series, I reckon.

What does everyone else think of this?

Could be interseting. PLaying on a map that isnt the real world could be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I would love to see this. A Warhammer game with the Total War engine sounds like a classic in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

I always wanted some kind of fantasy setting for at least one TW title, but given the mess Rome 2 was at launch, I'm now wary of the series. Pity, as I put several hundred hours into RTW and M2TW. But it's just too hard for me to get excited about a Total War game now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Conriocht wrote: »
    I always wanted some kind of fantasy setting for at least one TW title, but given the mess Rome 2 was at launch, I'm now wary of the series. Pity, as I put several hundred hours into RTW and M2TW. But it's just too hard for me to get excited about a Total War game now. :(
    Yeah rome 2 had issues at launch but so did shogun 2 and empire. One thing i will say is that they are pretty good for frequently updating the game and providing worthwhile dlc.

Rome 2 since everybody got the upgrade to Emperor edition is damn near perfect in my eyes.

Warhammer total war has a chance at being crazy good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The timing is a bit odd in a way. It seems that GW are about to completely rejig the Warhammer Fantasy setting with the End Times series and the release of WFB 9th edition. Since this won't be released before them, it could end up having a dated setting compared the actual tabletop game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I forgot Total War: Attila is out next month, this would be an interesting turn to take, I will admit though I was hoping for ww2 style game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Spear wrote: »
    The timing is a bit odd in a way. It seems that GW are about to completely rejig the Warhammer Fantasy setting with the End Times series and the release of WFB 9th edition. Since this won't be released before them, it could end up having a dated setting compared the actual tabletop game.

I'd be very surprised to see anything from this for at least a year or two. I'd say if they are doing it, they'll keep it up to date the the current Warhammer universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Spear wrote: »

I thought on that, and it could be why we haven't heard anything on it. Could it be set in the new world setting after the End Times that 9th edition is rumoured to be based in?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Every time I've looked at those Total War games, all I see is "it's broken as all hell and still hasn't been fixed" and I don't even know which one is which anymore. All that said, it seems like in an ideal world where this stuff all works, it's a perfect match for Warhammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really looking forward to this, gave rome 2 a miss but was looking at it in the last steam sale.

Army of dwarf slayers here I come.

Hopefully the armies aren't limited, no problem paying more as time goes on if it meant they'd add orges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Varik wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this, gave rome 2 a miss but was looking at it in the last steam sale.
    You really should pick it up in the sale, its in a great condition now. My one complaint if you can call it that really is that any of the campaigns are epic the amount of landmass i found myself conquering to win was crazy, campaigns could take months to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

It would make a really good game if they stuck to methods of warhammer. As in units can be tailored to specific uses and that the rules are rather clear and predictable.

But i can envision them drip feeding out armies in DLC packets in order to maximise revenue, however that probably won't bother the die hard fans.

For anyone looking for a really good game with similar style (but super retro) look up Dark Omen, that game was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xios wrote: »
    It would make a really good game if they stuck to methods of warhammer. As in units can be tailored to specific uses and that the rules are rather clear and predictable.

But i can envision them drip feeding out armies in DLC packets in order to maximise revenue, however that probably won't bother the die hard fans.

For anyone looking for a really good game with similar style (but super retro) look up Dark Omen, that game was awesome.

I've only bought the dlc armies during sales, and it was more about "why not" rather than wanting them. Only remember using that monk faction in Shogun 2.

But for this they differ so much, both for in gameplay and in size and appearance.

Swarm of goblins vs a dozen ogres or legions of mummies and vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've been hoping for a TW game set in 1st-4th Century China, during the fall of the Han (a la Romance of the Three Kingdoms era). There hasn't really been a killer RTS game that embraces that setting, but TW would be perfect for it.

I, too, can't wait for this, though. Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I forgot Total War: Attila is out next month, this would be an interesting turn to take, I will admit though I was hoping for ww2 style game.

I was hoping for some sort of WW1/2 game myself think it could be awesome.

Or maybe something set in the future. Maybe warhammer 40k!!

I don't think 40k would suit this format as well, Dawn of War did the 40k RTS thing really well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Would love for them to do this, if done properly and faithful to the lore with plenty of army choices it would be epic.

Not a Day 1 buy as it is a Total War game, but Day 1 as soon as they patch the initial bugged release three times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I really don't know anything about Warhammer's lore, but from first glance it looks like there's a lot for CA to draw on. Any good sites or books to learn a bit about the Warhammer universe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've read the wiki pages for the 40k universe loads of times, and there's some excellent stuff in there.

Not sure what the regular Warhammer one is like, but i might check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

The only W40k games I've really ever enjoyed the most was the Dawn of War series. My god they are just fantastic. I'm not one for finishing the campaign on RTS games (it's all about long skirmish battles for me) but the story of DoW1 sucked me in.

Great set of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

There were several full game mods featuring the Warhammer verse over the years. Definitely for M1TW and R1TW that I played.

Makes perfect sense, the battle mode is just real time tabletop gaming, which has been done in the Warhammer verse several times already. I've fond memories of Shadow of the Horned Rat which had a semi scripted campaign map and real time battles. In fact, pretty sure I picked up S1TW on the back of a recommendation from a friend because I'd enjoyed Shadow so much.

It's been a decade or two since I played the tabletop but there's huge amounts of potential. Rough gist, couple of central human kingdoms, one pretty much high fantasy chivalric france, the other gothic germany/HRE. Around that you've a bunch of fantasy tropes, goblins, orcs, elves, dwarves, wood elves all generally along the lines of Tolkienesque normal high fantasy stuff with some added flavour. All set in a rough analogue of medieval europe down to a couple of small human city states that have a Spanish and Venetian vibe to them.
    Oh, and Chaos. Blood for the Blood God! All very schlocky but I get dem nostaligic feels from the idea of WHTW!

On the R2TW issues, I avoided it until the xmas sale just past but I've been very happy with it, about 100 hours logged in the past few weeks.

Edit: Wiki link http://warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_World

And oh yeam Mordheim was released as a pc game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
    Meant to keep an eye out for it in the steam sale and forgot about it. :( Now if they only release Necromunda on a UFO type engine I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Shiminay wrote: »
    I don't think 40k would suit this format as well, Dawn of War did the 40k RTS thing really well

Yeah, and they did it well with classic RTS and squad based RTS, i reckon it could be pulled off as a grand campaign ala TW by CA/sega easily enough, they've learned a lot in the last few years with all of their RTS's, dunno if you played the CoH2 expansion, Ardennes Assault - but they really nailed the single player with that, best fun in RTS since Dune 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

qt3.14 wrote: »
    It's been a decade or two since I played the tabletop but there's huge amounts of potential. Rough gist, couple of central human kingdoms, one pretty much high fantasy chivalric france, the other gothic germany/HRE. Around that you've a bunch of fantasy tropes, goblins, orcs, elves, dwarves, wood elves all generally along the lines of Tolkienesque normal high fantasy stuff with some added flavour. All set in a rough analogue of medieval europe down to a couple of small human city states that have a Spanish and Venetian vibe to them.
    Oh, and Chaos. Blood for the Blood God! All very schlocky but I get dem nostaligic feels from the idea of WHTW!

Don't forget the giant murderous Rats riding around on a cursed church bell. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

The only W40k games I've really ever enjoyed the most was the Dawn of War series. My god they are just fantastic. I'm not one for finishing the campaign on RTS games (it's all about long skirmish battles for me) but the story of DoW1 sucked me in.

Great set of games.

The reason DoW was so successful was that they wanted to make a great RTS game that took place in the 40k universe. The focused on the game itself more so than the setting.

That's what I hope the TW team do with this game. I hope they restructure the game to be enjoyable, then apply the whole warhammer universe over it. I'd imagine they'd need a serious balancing team to get stuff right in this. Not to mention recoding the game to allow for the variables that are important in the warhammer universe. However I think the engine could accomodate a lot of the stuff, like Morale, Spells, weapons bonuses, rank and file stuff, flanking etc.

But I think it would be important to give more control over the statuses of units. Like indicators of how the morale is, what affects are currently on the units.

Generating new units? I don't think the engine allows for that at the moment, so if an undead sorcerer uses raise dead, they gotta code in the mechanics of unit generation. Stuff like that are important.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Don't forget the giant murderous Rats riding around on a cursed church bell. :pac:
    Hell yes! Clan eshin assassin squad, skyre jezzails and pestilens globe throwers = dead generals left right and centre!

Xios wrote: »
    The reason DoW was so successful was that they wanted to make a great RTS game that took place in the 40k universe. The focused on the game itself more so than the setting.

That's what I hope the TW team do with this game. I hope they restructure the game to be enjoyable, then apply the whole warhammer universe over it. I'd imagine they'd need a serious balancing team to get stuff right in this. Not to mention recoding the game to allow for the variables that are important in the warhammer universe. However I think the engine could accomodate a lot of the stuff, like Morale, Spells, weapons bonuses, rank and file stuff, flanking etc.

But I think it would be important to give more control over the statuses of units. Like indicators of how the morale is, what affects are currently on the units.

Generating new units? I don't think the engine allows for that at the moment, so if an undead sorcerer uses raise dead, they gotta code in the mechanics of unit generation. Stuff like that are important.
    a lot of that it's already in Rome 2. Generals and elites even have some "spells" in a range of buffs and debuff special abilities. Rank and file effects, flanking and morale have been key since shogun 1. Damage spells would be easily handled with a periodic range attack etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Good timing on the Humble Store - they've got a Games Workshop sale on this weekend.

Here's the official word, http://www.focus-home.com/index.php?rub=news&id=832
    The game stages the mighty armada of the Imperial Navy's Battlefleet Gothic against the insidious and galaxy threatening Chaos Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler in dark, deadly and intense space battles.

Developed on Unreal Engine 4, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is an RTS in which the player takes command of one of these battlefleets composed of the most powerful spaceships from the Imperial, Chaos, Eldar and Ork forces, in a no-quarter given struggle for the control of the Gothic sector of space.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada offers deep management of every ship composing the player's fleet, both during and between battles. From the fastest frigates to the gigantic, miles-long battleships, the player will customize all aspects of his ships: weaponry, defense and support sub-systems, etc. each customization affecting the very performances of the ship and the special abilities available during battle. From battle to battle, the admirals and crew of surviving ships will gain experience and promotions, improving the battle-readiness of the ship for future, bigger and more dangerous battles.

Well that's a totally different, but equally welcome game :D Clearly they saw the spooge for Homeworld amongst fans and realised "oh yea, there's been no new Space RTS of note since Sins of a Solar Empire" :)

• Advertisement

don't forget homeworld! :)

Advertisement