Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed there is,

Yet strangely you'll find most of the fencing used by farmers boarder public roads isn't suitable to keep pets/dogs off their land. Why is that? ;)
    Your argument seems to be based on a false premise, because most of the fencing is inadequate then it's acceptable to continue on this line, well I don't think it is.

Also, I think you'll find other types of fencing which could be considered pet/dog proof.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlvU-jy1k3P2mltj_3QLGp1CzLr9I4fuP9hkRxoqJFM8R5tCPKJQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9GOdzJO2t2kJcGoK4TaI6juz17UZqd3fV5aBdjLX89kh4iHaG

Any of these would be rural in character and I think you'll find this type of fencing as prevalant in the countryside as the examples you picked out.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    What it sounds like you want is this:

Just to be clear here, I don't WANT anything, I have no vested interests here, I am merely pointing out a concern as I was asked to do.

Someone from the Greenway came on stating that works were nearly ready to start and I pointed out that the discussions with the adjacent landowners which were promised by the authorities never materialised to address the landowners concerns.
    lads, ye seem to be forgetting that part of this walk/greenway has operated very successfully for the past number of years in the Dungarvan/Ballinacourty area....There are no issues with trespassing/animal-disease/trespass etc...the new deise greenway will be fantastic...

Most of the already operating part is through relatively urban area from Dungarvan to Ballinroad traversing mostly urban and cropping areas. The remaining miles of line area to the City boundary is through rural countryside and should be viewed differently.
    p.s. there are none of these issues in Mayo either, where the FARMERS came together and developed the greenway!!!!

Now there's a thought, why can't the authorities sit down with the landowners and discuss this........
    why hasn't someone thought of that?.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Can you elaborate on the 'more employment' part of the above regurgitated expression please.

Shops and pubs near the greenway would likely experience increased custom, possible tourism shops like bike rentals/camping equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 askwhat youcando foryourcountry

Anyone know what is happening with greenway. All the fanfare earlier in the year and now it seems it's stalled again. Are objecting landowners still stalling it by dragging their heels? Between €30 to €50 million of spending has been lost to our county over the past decade when this greenway should have been up and going. Are there still people who consider themselves good Waterford folk still holding our county to ransom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't know why the Achill project can't be used as a template for elsewhere, what did they do right?

Maybe one thing that's going for them is the value of the land around there, and let's be fair, it's marginal land.
    Sheep and rocks, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

Hi all, to their credit, the council have been working away in the background and are in final negotiations with a few adjoining land owners. This will allow the project to get underway very soon, with everyone on board.

Funding for the Waterford to Kilmeaden section was allocated for the purpose of "region stimulus" and will get underway within weeks.

The Western Greenway from Westport to Achill is a fantastic route and a huge attraction for the Mayo region. However, it's operated on the basis that landowners allow you to pass through their land, which they can revoke at any time (as threatened this week). We, just a group of everyday punters, have repeatedly pointed out to the council that the Deise Greenway must not operate on this model. Instead, the route must be owned outright by the council. The good news is that the council itself is of the same opinion but this future-proof model takes a bit longer to sort out.

So all in all, you can rest assured that the greenway is edging ever closer to getting started and new sections will be open in 2015. As a group, we won't be letting it rest until it's fully finished from Waterford to Dungarvan and is the best it can possibly be (route taken, aesthetics, accessibility etc).

The latest news is always on our Facebook page, which I can't yet post a link to (< 50 posts restriction). Hopefully you can get your friends and family to like and follow our page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

The latest news is always on our Facebook page, which I can't yet post a link to (< 50 posts restriction). Hopefully you can get your friends and family to like and follow our page!

Deise Greenway Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Hi all, to their credit, the council have been working away in the background and are in final negotiations with a few adjoining land owners. This will allow the project to get underway very soon, with everyone on board.

Funding for the Waterford to Kilmeaden section was allocated for the purpose of "region stimulus" and will get underway within weeks.

The Western Greenway from Westport to Achill is a fantastic route and a huge attraction for the Mayo region. However, it's operated on the basis that landowners allow you to pass through their land, which they can revoke at any time (as threatened this week). We, just a group of everyday punters, have repeatedly pointed out to the council that the Deise Greenway must not operate on this model. Instead, the route must be owned outright by the council. The good news is that the council itself is of the same opinion but this future-proof model takes a bit longer to sort out.

So all in all, you can rest assured that the greenway is edging ever closer to getting started and new sections will be open in 2015. As a group, we won't be letting it rest until it's fully finished from Waterford to Dungarvan and is the best it can possibly be (route taken, aesthetics, accessibility etc).

Is it true that major parts of this project are now on the back burner again owing to legal cases being taken? Any idea when these court cases will take place? Shame really that a couple of local farmers can ruin this facility. What I don't understand is if it is following a route on which a train previously operated, how can the landowners claim entitlement to any part of the greenway?

Also, the existing track from Abbeyside to Ballinroad is fantastic, expect for the part after the crossing at the Gold Coast road - how in the name of God was a three foot wide path signed off by all concerned, without any lights as opposed to the rest of the route also - the train didn't fit through that - it appears that the owner of the former railway cottage just extended their garden over the railway line and was allowed to maintain it

Andalucia wrote: »
    Is it true that major parts of this project are now on the back burner again owing to legal cases being taken?

We're not aware that anything has changed...negotiations and arrangements are being finalised.

Andalucia wrote: »
    Also, the existing track from Abbeyside to Ballinroad is fantastic, expect for the part after the crossing at the Gold Coast road - how in the name of God was a three foot wide path signed off by all concerned, without any lights as opposed to the rest of the route also - the train didn't fit through that - it appears that the owner of the former railway cottage just extended their garden over the railway line and was allowed to maintain it

This narrow path was always just a temporary arrangement, this section will be widened and upgraded as part of the upcoming works being done elsewhere on the greenway.

The council made a big announcement this week by stating on WLR that they expect the Waterford to Kilmeaden and Ballinroad to Durrow sections to be open next summer. These are around 10km apiece with far less engineering work required on the western section than on the eastern.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, Dungarvan to Durrow including the extension will be 10km...edit button doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Great news, I cant wait for this to open fully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Has construction begun on it?

STIG83 wrote: »
    Has construction begun on it?

Yes work started on some sections a couple of weeks ago, scrub had to be removed and surveying on 3 main sections is ongoing. There are 3 crossings of the N25 to be constructed (two underpasses and one bridge) so there's a lot of prep work needed. Because these areas are awkward to get at and generally not visible from the road, we didn't put up any photos.

As soon as the more obvious work gets underway, photos will be on Facebook and our website.

Tenders for various pieces of work continue to be raised by the council so it's all moving along in the background.

Yes work started on some sections a couple of weeks ago, scrub had to be removed and surveying on 3 main sections is ongoing. There are 3 crossings of the N25 to be constructed (two underpasses and one bridge) so there's a lot of prep work needed. Because these areas are awkward to get at and generally not visible from the road, we didn't put up any photos.

As soon as the more obvious work gets underway, photos will be on Facebook and our website.

Tenders for various pieces of work continue to be raised by the council so it's all moving along in the background.

A photo of the clearance work in Kilmacthomas has been posted on our Facebook page (I don't think we can post it here as <50 posts). There's also signs of life at Bilberry, photo also on our FB page.

It's building up for serious work to be done in January and it'll need to be if the council's June completion date is to materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

A photo of the clearance work in Kilmacthomas has been posted on our Facebook page (I don't think we can post it here as <50 posts). There's also signs of life at Bilberry, photo also on our FB page.

It's building up for serious work to be done in January and it'll need to be if the council's June completion date is to materialise.

Any plans for a few dogging sites on the route?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Any plans for a few dogging sites on the route?

The greenway does go through a place called Woodstown but I think you have the wrong one in mind Finnbar!!

Quick update...work is well underway on the Kilmeaden to Bilberry section, in at least 3 places...Kilmeaden, Mount Congreve and Carriganore. Still trying to reach 50 posts so we can post photos but rest assured, the greenway is on its way!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheSelf

Can the public access parts of it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

Quick update...work is well underway on the Kilmeaden to Bilberry section, in at least 3 places...Kilmeaden, Mount Congreve and Carriganore. Still trying to reach 50 posts so we can post photos but rest assured, the greenway is on its way!

Is there any plans to do the Ferrybank to New Ross line. I know they cleared it off sometime ago but nothing more happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

royrogers wrote: »
    Is there any plans to do the Ferrybank to New Ross line. I know they cleared it off sometime ago but nothing more happened.

The briars are starting to grow back again on it.

TheSelf wrote: »
    Can the public access parts of it yet?

No it's best to steer clear of this section at the moment, it's nigh on impossible to get near it with all the machines.

A total of 2.5km at Kilmacthomas has been cleared for inspection purposes and can be safely walked, so can the viaduct there...the surface varies from gravel to compacted soil. This will see tarmac on a future phase. A new path has also been built linking the top of the bridge to the middle of the town.
    This was cleared only for inspection purposes and to allow them to assess the route and determine a cost for converting it to a greenway. In December, it was announced that this route goes to planning in 2015 and is being driven by the WD,KK and WX councils as a joint project as it's within these 3 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

How wide is the cycle path going to be?
    Do you know when? it will all be tarmac completed.

I my self cycle the main road from waterford to dungarvan & back. And would love to try the path once its ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

this whole thing sounds fantastic, just a little bit concerned about the section down there on Bilberry, its not the most beautiful/welcoming place, hopefully something can be done to make it better.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    How wide is the cycle path going to be?
    Do you know when? it will all be tarmac completed.

I my self cycle the main road from waterford to dungarvan & back. And would love to try the path once its ready.

It'll be between 2 and 4 meters wide on the Kilmeaden to Waterford section. This is because of either the positioning of the railway track in relation to the overall width OR restrictions due to cuts/embankments. It should achieve 4 meters from Kilmeaden to Dungarvan.

Timelines...all we know is the council aim to have Waterford to Kilmeaden and Dungarvan to Durrow finished by June 2015...with full tarmac. The middle section, which includes Kilmacthomas, has some complicated N25 crossings that are currently in the tendering process. This will allow for a cost analysis and then an application for funding.

If the Waterford City section is used as much as the existing Dungarvan to Ballinroad section, it'll put serious pressure on the council to get the middle section completed.

Max Powers wrote: »
    this whole thing sounds fantastic, just a little bit concerned about the section down there on Bilberry, its not the most beautiful/welcoming place, hopefully something can be done to make it better.

We'd the first to agree with you......in our planning submission, we pointed out to the council that Bilberry is not a logical starting point for a jewel-in-the-crown greenway and it must be run in as far as Rice Bridge for many different reasons. The good news is that they're a step ahead and have this very high on their to-do list. To fully achieve its potential, the greenway must be linked to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I was just wondering what is being done about the Japanese Knotweed on some parts of the track, in one area it looks like its just been bulldozed which will only increase and spread the problem?

It doesn't look like any of the procedures listed at Invasive Species Ireland have been followed at the old Kildermody level crossing.

my3cents wrote: »
    I was just wondering what is being done about the Japanese Knotweed on some parts of the track, in one area it looks like its just been bulldozed which will only increase and spread the problem?

Hi my3cents, you'd have to contact the council's environmental team about this, none of us here would know enough about it.

335885.jpg
    Kilmeaden

335886.jpg
    Possible new carpark near Mount Congreve

335887.jpg
    New access road near Mount Congreve

335888.jpg
    Gorse and briars cut back to original ditch near Mount Congreve

335889.jpg
    Well underway near WIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

There is a thread on this Royrogers with more detail
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056835578

Also recent info here
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/3m-red-bridge-walkway-boost-30847046.html

Advertisement