Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old 360 that's been flashed...

• 11-01-2015 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

There's an old Xenon 360 here that's been flashed (many, many moons ago - I think it's the Hitatchi GDR drive). What I'm wondering is, does anything need to be done with this to be able to play newer, legit, retail discs? I've no interest in it being flashed, & just want to make sure it can play legit discs now. I've remember stories though about drives or consoles being bricked when they attempt to update from a game discs, because the drive check can't be done or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hi folks

There's an old Xenon 360 here that's been flashed (many, many moons ago - I think it's the Hitatchi GDR drive). What I'm wondering is, does anything need to be done with this to be able to play newer, legit, retail discs? I've no interest in it being flashed, & just want to make sure it can play legit discs now. I've remember stories though about drives or consoles being bricked when they attempt to update from a game discs, because the drive check can't be done or something?
    I've never has any trouble updateing from a disc. But do be warned as the drive is flashed even playing a legit game there is a chance you can get banned from Xbox live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've never has any trouble updateing from a disc. But do be warned as the drive is flashed even playing a legit game there is a chance you can get banned from Xbox live.

So if I put in GTAV or something recent, it will update the console AND the drive? That's fine by me, but how then would it lead to a ban from Live?

So if I put in GTAV or something recent, it will update the console AND the drive? That's fine by me, but how then would it lead to a ban from Live?

It will only update the console not the drive so Microsoft can see that the drive is flashed which leads to a ban. I'm pretty sure you can flash the drive back to normal but that also means no more backed up games.

It will only update the console not the drive so Microsoft can see that the drive is flashed which leads to a ban. I'm pretty sure you can flash the drive back to normal but that also means no more backed up games.

The thoughts of taking the console apart, & figuring out how to do all that drive flashing again really don't appeal to me :o Pity it can't be just flashed as part of an update

The thoughts of taking the console apart, & figuring out how to do all that drive flashing again really don't appeal to me :o Pity it can't be just flashed as part of an update

The hardest part is finding a good guide. One thing I would check if its been a very long time since you last used the Xbox is if it is on a firmeware that is old enough to be jtaged you might be lucky if it has not been used for a very long time and not been updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

At dash update 13599 there was updates for the dvd drives aswell and in some other updates. It was when they started using XGD3 discs and another security feature AP25 i think it was. When installing 1 of these updates it checks the firmware on the dvd drive and sometimes when it didn't find what it was looking for it would get stuck in a sort of loop trying to update but then failing and restarting and trying to update again.To get out of it all you had to do was flash a stock firmware onto drive and it would allow update. Hitachi and samsung drives didnt need updates as their hardware didnt support ap25 so you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes, the Samsung and Hitachi drives were exempt from the AP25 update and so the later dash updates won't flash that drive back to stock. It'll still play retail discs but you're asking for a ban if it detects the modded drive and flags the console. If I recall correctly, as long as the console is flashed back to stock before going online it'll pass all the security checks the internal flag brings forth once hooked up to Xbox Live. I've got the hardware to do this over USB if you'd just like it to be done super-fast.

All I really want to do is have it in a fit state to sell on, I've no interest in the console myself...but wouldn't feel right about selling it knowing it's a potential candidate for being banned should whoever have bought it go online with it.
    I've got the hardware to do this over USB if you'd just like it to be done super-fast.

Is there much involved in doing this TV? I remember drive flashing years ago & it was a bit of a pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Most of the pain was eliminated with the CK3 Pro (for power and probes) and the X360USB (replaced the old VIA SATA card BS with a USB device). I've not flashed a Hitatchi in a long time but I've no bother loaning you the tools to give it a go yourself

Advertisement