Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda harassment

• 10-01-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11 Erica246

This morning 2 gardai passed by in their van and saw me busy putting some things from the front seat to the back. They stopped the van and asked what I was doing there. They demanded to see my drivers license. Then they demanded to search me under some act for drugs. They had no suspicion of any drugs. I pointed out to them that my eyes are normal and I do not use anything of any kind. They were not deterred and told me that they would strip search me in the garda station if I would not co-operate to the search on the spot, and this would take longer. They stood on my clean clothes and when I tried to pick the clothes off the dirty side of the road he pushed me hard in the chest so I was hurled back up. I got my everything back dirty and have his foot print on my sock. I am very distressed by their actions.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hi OP, this isn't really suitable for the Dublin City forum, I've moved it to the Emergency services forum, which might be a better home. Please familiarise yourself with the charter there

Mods I hope this is the right place, apologies if not

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Erica246 wrote: »
    This morning 2 gardai passed by in their van and saw me busy putting some things from the front seat to the back. They stopped the van and asked what I was doing there. They demanded to see my drivers license. Then they demanded to search me under some act for drugs. They had no suspicion of any drugs. I pointed out to them that my eyes are normal and I do not use anything of any kind. They were not deterred and told me that they would strip search me in the garda station if I would not co-operate to the search on the spot, and this would take longer. They stood on my clean clothes and when I tried to pick the clothes off the dirty side of the road he pushed me hard in the chest so I was hurled back up. I got my everything back dirty and have his foot print on my sock. I am very distressed by their actions.

OK...

If you have a problem with the actions of a member of an garda siochana then contact the garda ombudsman. Internet forums aren't going to fix your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Garda ombudsman, also consider some civil action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How do you know what the garda was thinking.

Anyway what do you want ? What result are you looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Their is a scum elememt in the guards that think they can do what they want, most are ok but the scum is always there, make a complaint and follow it through to the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

take a photo of the sock,
    go to the police station
    make a complaint
    may not achieve a lot , but there will be a record of it and you might save someone else from the "bravery"

Zambia wrote: »
    How do you know what the garda was thinking.

Anyway what do you want ? What result are you looking for.

good to nip such carry on in the bud - it just makes it harder for all the decent ones

ain't so brave when up against someone who is not a girl in her car :

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Thanks for joining Boards, in order to share your allegedly traumatic incident.

gctest50 wrote: »
    go to the police station
    make a complaint

Or if you're fit, take the sock.....

go to the police station
    make a complaint

Originally Posted by gctest50 viewpost.gif
    go to the police station
    make a complaint
    nutts_77 wrote: »

she could drop it in a puddle and the it'd be no good

what next ? since its her star witness take it for fish n chips ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I don't see any harassment in these "allegations"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

what the actual **** is the point in posting this video? that is horrific, do you wish that on the gardai who allegedly stopped this girl, you make me ****ing sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

No, Sure treating the public badly is part and parcel of the AGS experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

go to the police station
    make a complaint
    may not achieve a lot , but there will be a record of it and you might save someone else from the "bravery"

good to nip such carry on in the bud - it just makes it harder for all the decent ones

What are you trying to say by posting that horrific video of graphic violence. That this is what you wish to happen to Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Seems like a lot of gardai are defendind the actions of their colleagues on this thread!?

pah wrote: »
    what the actual **** is the point in posting this video? that is horrific, do you wish that on the gardai who allegedly stopped this girl, you make me ****ing sick

no

you seemed to have missed this bit :
    ....... it just makes it harder for all the decent ones

if you look at the video - no-one comes to help

thats what'll happen here if (1) the OP's account is accurate enough (2) keep doing (1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Did ye see the all the hassle on Oliver Plunkett St, Cork on Friday ? It was all over a 50 bag of Weed !!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/armed-support-called-as-gardai-subdue-man-in-cork-city-centre-657465.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Did ye see the all the hassle on Oliver Plunkett St, Cork on Friday ? It was all over a 50 bag of Weed !!

And you would know this, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He pushed you in the chest . Plus you're distressed emotionally.
    You should go see a doctor and get a report written up. If you pushed him in the chest it would be assault , same rules apply for him.
    They assaulted you physically and emotionally with no reason.
    Get a doctors report written up .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Okay well firstly Welcome to boards.ie! :)
    Next up & more Important is that I Hope you are doing okay right now; are feeling somewhat better and you are in a position to read clearly what I'm saying to you.
    I don't think this is a case that should necessarily take up the time for GSOC just yet imo. This should reach the local Superintendent, maybe Chief Superintendent first but not straight to GSOC for the following...

~ You knew you were innocent. You knew you'd no drugs on your possession and had not taken any drugs/illegal substance at that point in time.

~ What I can see is seriously bad timing here. A presumably marked Garda car approach this unknown van with someone they don't recognise/know (presumably) inside; for what they would've seen as suddenly moving unknown items out of sight from the front of the van to the back.

~ I am glad they stopped. Glad they exercised their powers to question and search. As a GardaReserve I witnessed this a few times and seen varying responses from those being searched. They were only doing their job here though and were right in that taking you to the station to ensure you were not carrying/in possesion.

~ The dirty clothing - Listen, that would be important to you (& me), but at that time they were doing their job and something like that ain't going to deter them from their goal here.

~ It's the hurling you back upright is why I'd suggest you speak directly with the immediate superiors before GSOC and see what they have to say on that. It could prevent another more serious incident from occurring should that happen again, but with someone else who may not have their body in a position to take it. You decide after that how you wish to proceed with that imo.

~ I can see where they were coming from here, but also how you would feel aggrieved by their actions.
    Hope you can see what I see from reading your post and try understand where they were coming from, since it hasn't been clearly mentioned above by others from my reading.

~ I can only hope you are okay, physically & hope you will speak with either the local Superintendent, maybe Chief Superintendent about this incident.

Their are ways of going about their job, and this could've been dealt with easier considering also they had the numbers and uniform behind them and you knew you'd done nothing wrong and had no illegal substance on you.

Hope you're okay,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by gctest50 viewpost.gif
    pah wrote: »
    what the actual **** is the point in posting this video? that is horrific, do you wish that on the gardai who allegedly stopped this girl,

you make me ****ing sick

and how does this make you feel ?
    Sergeant: “She refused to give her name and address and told she would be arrested.”

Garda A: “.......and deported”

Sergeant: “And raped.”

Garda A: “I wouldn’t go that far yet….. She was living down at that crusty camp, **** sake, you never know what you might get.”

Sergeant: “Give me your name and address or I’ll rape you.”

Unidentified Garda:
    “Hold it there, give me your name and address there, I’ll rape you.”

Sergeant:
    “Or I’ll definitely rape you.”

http://vimeo.com/21952231 <<<<<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

It makes me feel like your trying to take something completely out of context and irrelevant in order to support your own agenda. In doing so, diminishing your argument and making yourself look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You don't see any harassment here?
    Well hopefully that's not how the police force of this country think unless they get their training from watching the movie Deliverance.
    Op report this at the station and hopefully a good officer will follow this complaint up. Too many bad eggs in the force her turning a blind eye to corruption as the whistleblowers have shown. We need more heroic Guards like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You don't see any harassment here?

Where exactly is the harassment?
    This was presumably a lawful search and the op admits that she failed to co-operate.

The Gardai continuing with a lawful search and preventing the op from interfering with it doesn't amount to harassment.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Where exactly is the harassment?
    This was presumably a lawful search and the op admits that she failed to co-operate.

The Gardai continuing with a lawful search and preventing the op from interfering with it doesn't amount to harassment.

He stood on her clothes on the side of the road before assaulting her and you can't see how this is harassment?
    Keystone cops come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay well firstly Welcome to boards.ie! :)

~ You knew you were innocent. You knew you'd no drugs on your possession and had not taken any drugs/illegal substance at that point in time.

~ What I can see is seriously bad timing here. A presumably marked Garda car approach this unknown van with someone they don't recognise/know (presumably) inside; for what they would've seen as suddenly moving unknown items out of sight from the front of the van to the back.

~ I am glad they stopped. Glad they exercised their powers to question and search. As a GardaReserve I witnessed this a few times and seen varying responses from those being searched. They were only doing their job here though and were right in that taking you to the station to ensure you were not carrying/in possesion.

~ The dirty clothing - Listen, that would be important to you (& me), but at that time they were doing their job and something like that ain't going to deter them from their goal here.

~ It's the hurling you back upright is why I'd suggest you speak directly with the immediate superiors before GSOC and see what they have to say on that. It could prevent another more serious incident from occurring should that happen again, but with someone else who may not have their body in a position to take it. You decide after that how you wish to proceed with that imo.

~ I can see where they were coming from here, but also how you would feel aggrieved by their actions.
    Hope you can see what I see from reading your post and try understand where they were coming from, since it hasn't been clearly mentioned above by others from my reading.

~ I can only hope you are okay, physically & hope you will speak with either the local Superintendent, maybe Chief Superintendent about this incident.

Their are ways of going about their job, and this could've been dealt with easier considering also they had the numbers and uniform behind them and you knew you'd done nothing wrong and had no illegal substance on you.

Hope you're okay,
    kerry4sam

I think you should re-read the post. The Gardai were in the van.

Surely the Gardai pass many, many vehicles they don't know with people moving in them every day, why did they single out the OP? I would like to hear the whole story before I assume that the OP or the Gardai acted out of line.

OP if you feel you have been on the wrong side of a rogue Garda, call into the station and ask to speak to the Super. As suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He stood on her clothes on the side of the road before assaulting her and you can't see how this is harassment?
    Keystone cops come to mind.

Some clothes getting soiled at a side of the road drugs search is hardly 'hassasment'.
    The op interfered in the search and was prevented. I don't see any assault there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

You've posted a video of a man being beaten so violently he had to be put in a medically induced coma and then commented that this might happen to a garda who
    ain't so brave when up against someone who is not a girl in her car

The guy in the video didn't even know that he attacked a cop????
    I fail to see the relevance to the thread and it's so far off topic it can't be anything more than a complete troll.

As far as the recording the private conversation goes - that was in extremely bad taste and I am offended by it but you're comparing apples and oranges here when we're not even talking about fruit.

No reply from the OP either I see. If she's looking for advice on what to do about a genuine complaint and had to create a boards account to get that info you'd think she would have replied by now.

Some clothes getting soiled at a side of the road drugs search is hardly 'hassasment'.
    The op interfered in the search and was prevented. I don't see any assault there.

When the op tried to pick her clothes up off the side of the road the "hero" guard assaulted her.
    I think you should read the op again-all the clues are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Throwing an innocent person's clothes in the dirt, pushing them around and generally acting like a bully counts as harassment. Police exist to serve the public, not abuse them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement