Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Struggling to get the deals many here seem to be getting:( Currently on select extra multiroom with 120mb broadband for 70 per month(going up to 75)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Currently on 93 a month (going to 97 after increases) for 3 digital hd boxes and 120mb fibre bb. Called there and first was offered 87 a month for 6 months, so I said no. Then offered 57 for 4 months and full price then. I still said no so she gave me the email address to cancel but not sure whether to take that offer or play hard ball.

Really don't want to risk losing my service if it went to the full 30 days and I got no better offer.
    Has anyone with a similar package gotten a better deal or what's anyone's thoughts on prices I was offered?

sillysocks wrote: »
    Currently on 93 a month (going to 97 after increases) for 3 digital hd boxes and 120mb fibre bb. Called there and first was offered 87 a month for 6 months, so I said no. Then offered 57 for 4 months and full price then. I still said no so she gave me the email address to cancel but not sure whether to take that offer or play hard ball.

Really don't want to risk losing my service if it went to the full 30 days and I got no better offer.
    Has anyone with a similar package gotten a better deal or what's anyone's thoughts on prices I was offered?

They should be upgrading you to 240mb speed along with the offer? If they come down to half price for 4 months i think its a good deal bearing in mind i cant get a deal:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tugboats wrote: »
    They should be upgrading you to 240mb speed along with the offer? If they come down to half price for 4 months i think its a good deal bearing in mind i cant get a deal:o

4 months half price + 12 months full price (including new the new increases)

I'm not saying its a bad deal. Just that people will be paying more for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭manuhalo

I'm currently paying 43.99 a month for 120Mb broadband and phone (which I don't use, I don't even own one), and the contract expired. This is going to be increased by 1€ from February. I guess I could ask for the update to 240Mb and free mobile calls for 45, but I'd much rather stay at the current speed for a lower price. Did anyone manage to get just broadband for a lower price than 45€/month?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    4 months half price + 12 months full price (including new the new increases)

I'm not saying its a bad deal. Just that people will be paying more for longer.

Why would it be 12 months full price? Is it not 4 months half price and 8 months at full???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

manuhalo wrote: »
    I'm currently paying 43.99 a month for 120Mb broadband and phone (which I don't use, I don't even own one), and the contract expired. This is going to be increased by 1€ from February. I guess I could ask for the update to 240Mb and free mobile calls for 45, but I'd much rather stay at the current speed for a lower price. Did anyone manage to get just broadband for a lower price than 45€/month?

Just ask to be downgraded to the 120 product @ 40. This doesn't require any special deal, you are out of contract so you can pick whatever current package you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's so strange. Sometimes I ring UPC, and the service is brilliant and I'm delighted with them. Other times, they couldn't be more inept if they tried.

We currently have Phone, 30mb Broadband and TV with a contract up until the 14th February.

After the price changes, I gave 30 days notice to cancel my TV altogether, which is fine - it'll be cancelled on the 1st February. I want to keep my 30mb BB and Phone up until the 14th February, and after that then I want to commit to a new contract for the 120mb + Anytime Minutes @ €40 p/m.

But apparently they can't do that and I have to call back on the 1st February when my TV is cancelled before signing up to a new package?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Its impossible to get any good deals for customers who had half price discount for entire year !! Went for 40 eur 120 mbps new contract finally !!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NellyMcD

I'm downgrading and losing my tv supply from UPC. I will be continuing with unlimited 120mb broadband and getting unlimited local and national phone calls. It'll be 20 euro for 4 months then 40 for the next 8 months. I only wanted a 12 month contract which (after being put on hold) they agreed to.

I'll be using a combo box to pick up Irish Terrestrial tv (RTE, TV3 etc) and British sat channels, (BBC, ITV etc) for a once off payment.

Combo boxes take in a combination of sat and saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

Just looking for some advice. I'm on an old old package, getting a max of 30MB with the broadband, home phone and a basic TV service. I was on €70 a month but had it brought down to €35 last year when I asked to keep the BB/phone but drop the TV part of the package.

So now with the new price increases it's an ideal time to look for a new broadband package as 30MB is woeful considering what a new customer can get. In relation to TV, is Horizon any better than the ancient Thomson box I have or am I best to look to Sky for TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tugboats wrote: »
    Why would it be 12 months full price? Is it not 4 months half price and 8 months at full???

I would double check that. They've said elsewhere that discounts are now only available on 4 months of the 18 months contract. Not the 12 month. So thinking about it thats 14 months at full price.

I can't find where the UPC rep Said that. But this was the closest thing.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/93729911

Perhaps I'm wrong. But as they do everything verbally it would be impossible to prove in a few months down the line if you don't have it in writing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I would double check that. They've said elsewhere that discounts are now only available on 4 moths of the 18 months contract. Not the 12 month. So thinking about it thats 14 months at full price.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But as they do everything verbally it would be impossible to prove in a few months down the line if you don't have it in writing.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers didnt even know there was 18 month contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Is it worth cancelling and signing up in say your partners name? I'm trying to gauge if it's a common thing or something that would cause hassle in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Was just speaking to a rep. I was on the 12 months half price deal for the year, costing me €40pm. I have 200meg BB, basic TV and the free landline calls.

Now, they are only offering €40 for 4 months and €80 for the remaining 8 months. They want to lower my BB to 120meg and I get charged for any calls. An increase of €320 for the year!!! UPC, YOU SUCK.

I will be looking into alternatives now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

goz83 wrote: »
    Was just speaking to a rep. I was on the 12 months half price deal for the year, costing me €40pm. I have 200meg BB, basic TV and the free landline calls.

Now, they are only offering €40 for 4 months and €80 for the remaining 8 months. They want to lower my BB to 120meg and I get charged for any calls. An increase of €320 for the year!!! UPC, YOU SUCK.

I will be looking into alternatives now.

I'm on 120mbs, all TV channels incl HD (excl Sports and Movies), never used phone calls.... at €37e per month since last April.
    Am not looking forward to the email from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I would double check that. They've said elsewhere that discounts are now only available on 4 months of the 18 months contract. Not the 12 month. So thinking about it thats 14 months at full price.

Maybe I'm wrong.

All calls are recorded and placed on your file with UPC so if you agree to a new contract the recording is used to prove you agreeded to said contract. Make sure you know what your agreeing before you finish the call go through the offer and price stage by stage with UPC so there is no confusion get them repeat it if nessacary that's what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

All calls are recorded and placed on your file with UPC so if you agree to a new contract the recording is used to prove you agreeded to said contract. Make sure you know what your agreeing before you finish the call go through the offer and price stage by stage with UPC so there is no confusion get them repeat it if nessacary that's what I do.

would be worth telling them over the phone that you wont be agreeing to a contract over the phone but if they e-mail you the details you can sign up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Can anyone recommend Horizon over the separate TV and modem package they had before? Is there a big trade-off with the WiFi signal? I heard nothing but bad things when they first came out, but has it improved? Between losing my DVR's full hard drive and possibly worsening the WiFi signal, I'm not sure about it.

I'm on a TV/BB/Phone package ;79, think I'm being 'upgraded' for more money so I reckon I'll go for the €75/€25 for 4 months deal instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend Horizon over the separate TV and modem package they had before? Is there a big trade-off with the WiFi signal? I heard nothing but bad things when they first came out, but has it improved? Between losing my DVR's full hard drive and possibly worsening the WiFi signal, I'm not sure about it.

I'm on a TV/BB/Phone package ;79, think I'm being 'upgraded' for more money so I reckon I'll go for the €50/€25 for 4 months deal instead.

I haven't had much trouble with it tbh, but the wifi signal is definitely poorer.

I am just looking at the packages UPC are offering now and it seems that the TV pack prices have crept up over the past few years. How on earth can they justify these prices? It looks like Free To Air is the way to go. The phone/BB bundle might just be stomachable, but is it some kind of phone app, or is it the regular phone as usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Sappy404

goz83 wrote: »
    I haven't had much trouble with it tbh, but the wifi signal is definitely poorer.

I am just looking at the packages UPC are offering now and it seems that the TV pack prices have crept up over the past few years. How on earth can they justify these prices? It looks like Free To Air is the way to go. The phone/BB bundle might just be stomachable, but is it some kind of phone app, or is it the regular phone as usual?

Has anyone had any luck with a wifi extender for the Horizon box in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I assume there is a 7 day Cooling off period on any new contracts, verbal or written?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Anyone out of contract looking to get a good deal, do your homework on what others are offering and go back to UPC, don't just jump in asking for this and that and being disappointed when they say no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I wish there was a cheap option to only have the BB, I think its like 8euro a month less to just have the BB. But I think I may do it now to off set this 7 euro rise.....

I wonder what there entry level BB package is at now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The deals aren't just 18 months by the way. I ended up being offered the 120mb + minutes deal for 12 months @ 40e per month with the first 4 at half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck with a wifi extender for the Horizon box in that case?

no they are sh!te stay away, if you want to extend your wifi get a power line adapter with wifi, the repeaters just dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

I have 120 BB no horizon box but have ESPN (think its a setanta package) and phone 75 PM - I cannot for the life of me figure out if its a good deal or not? - my email was an increase of 10 euro ! - how the hell do they decide on the increases??

arrgghh

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I had 50mb broadband with free offpeak landline calls and 400 mins offpeak calls to 22 countries for e37 a month which was rising to e40 on feb 1st.

Just rang 061 272190 and asked for a better deal. Now i have 120mb broadband, free national and local calls anytime, free 400 mins international anytime for e30 for 6 months rising to e40 on a 12 month contract.

I'd say if i pushed it i could have got it for e20 for 4 months rising to e40 but i'm happy as its a great service and i only got out of my old contract due to the price changes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Am I the only one who hasn't received an email about increases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Am I the only one who hasn't received an email about increases?

+1

Advertisement