Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Probably lost a fair bit last year, all the concessions
    Probably, but the alternative is to lose the customer completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Curlew

I'm paying 130 euro monthly for TV, phone and internet which I think is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

anyone who got a good half price deal last year know what their plan is for all of us..

is it back to full price in feb plus the new charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

bonkers wrote: »
    anyone who got a good half price deal last year know what their plan is for all of us..

I would say so. I'm prepared to cancel, now if I could only get through to them on the phone. Tried earlier today and kept getting dropped. I have a feeling they are being hammered for calls at the moment. (I wonder why ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Curlew wrote: »
    I'm paying 130 euro monthly for TV, phone and internet which I think is expensive.

What tv package is that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

bonkers wrote: »

heres' what I did to get new horizon box/120mb/phone last year for €35..
    Account was in spouses name so she rang up initially to get 'loyalty discount' with 50mb/old modem ... was paying 45! but they said theyd give her a fiver off and a phone! She says ya so hangs up...
    I rang 10min later and went through the whole procedure as a new customer...(for 40 with new box/120mb/tv).. Once they took my address there was a long silence on phone... "hmmmm I see someone in the house already has an account". I said ya and told em that she was going to cancel her account ASAP as she wasnt happy. A lot of mumbling in background but I still proceeded to give credit card and set up date.

5 mins later the loyalty team rang me and asked would I cancel if they gave herself a better deal...

So got 120mb/new horizon box/tv package/free phone for the year for €35pm !

Going to try same approach this month.

tl;dr
    get someone else in the same gaffe to go through the whole setup introductory offer, then let em know that the other account holder is canceling (get the other a/c holder to haggle down their price first as much as possible though so theyll have to offer even lower ).

Fingers crossed itll work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Just got an email from UPC regarding contract changes which basically means my bill is increasing from €57 to €60 for Anytime World & 200Mb Broadband.

They are promising to increase the Broadband to 240Mb in summer 2015, but I doubt that considering I have never even seen 200Mb. I would say I average 112Mb and top out at about 144Mb.

What really gets my goat is that they have a better deal on their website at €45(full price) for 240Mb Broadband and Anytime Mobile. Is there a way I can switch to this bundle without a charge?

h6f5v6i.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Boo_hoo wrote: »
    Just got an email from UPC regarding contract changes which basically means my bill is increasing from €57 to €60 for Anytime World & 200Mb Broadband.

They are promising to increase the Broadband to 240Mb in summer 2015, but I doubt that considering I have never even seen 200Mb. I would say I average 112Mb and top out at about 144Mb.

What really gets my goat is that they have a better deal on their website at €45(full price) for 240Mb Broadband and Anytime Mobile. Is there a way I can switch to this bundle without a charge?

h6f5v6i.png

Cancel and sign up again as a new customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Or just ring and ask for the €45 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone try evison from eircom.
    They just offered me 100mb, multiroom and phone for half price for 6 months and then 76 a month.

Currently paying 80 but that's due to go up to 96.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Boo_hoo wrote: »

h6f5v6i.png

Cancel and sign up again as a new customer

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

I have been on the half price package since last year. Upgraded to hd package in mid December. That was and additional €2.50 which would normally be €5 but received discounted price as my a/c was on 50% discount package. That enrolled me into another 12 month contract starting in December and I'm now paying €36 instead of €33.50. Got e mail for increase of €10 but when spoke to their customer care they said it would only increase by €5 due to discount on my package.

Best option for people who are on discounted deal would be to add HD to your current package and that would mean you automatically sign up for 12 months at prices of current price +€2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

mjp wrote: »
    I have been on the half price package since last year. Upgraded to hd package in mid December. That was and additional €2.50 which would normally be €5 but received discounted price as my a/c was on 50% discount package. That enrolled me into another 12 month contract starting in December and I'm now paying €36 instead of €33.50. Got e mail for increase of €10 but when spoke to their customer care they said it would only increase by €5 due to discount on my package.

Best option for people who are on discounted deal would be to add HD to your current package and that would mean you automatically sign up for 12 months at prices of current price +€2.50.

I'm nearly 100% that a promotional period is completely separate to your contract period , by signing up to a new contract this doesn't mean the promotional offer hasn't been extended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

ted1 wrote: »
    Anyone try evison from eircom.
    They just offered me 100mb, multiroom and phone for half price for 6 months and then 76 a month.

Currently paying 80 but that's due to go up to 96.

I get 200mb BB, Home phone ,Horizon complete HD, BT Sports HD, and Multi room HD for €62 pm give UPC a bell again you will get a better deal than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I get 200mb BB, Home phone ,Horizon complete HD, BT Sports HD, and Multi room HD for €62 pm give UPC a bell again you will get a better deal than that.
    When you go to renew your discounts they won't give you what you have now for that price, or anything like it.

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    I'm nearly 100% that a promotional period is completely separate to your contract period , by signing up to a new contract this doesn't mean the promotional offer hasn't been extended

Yep be very careful. That discount is only for the 12 months from when you negotiated it last year. I sincerely doubt they will be continuing it on for another 12 months unless they explicitly said that to you. I would suggest double checking that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

When you go to renew your discounts they won't give you what you have now for that price, or anything like it.

I'm not due for renewal until sept this year so we'll see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Currently paying €65 due to go up €5 with increase but deal runs out this month. Then up to €86 per month.

Rang on Monday offered me 6 months @ €71 & 6 months €81

Called again today to cancel, now offered 4 months @ €46 & 8 months €81

Will call again tomorrow. Would be happy with the 50% off for 6 months others seem to be getting so thats my aim.

Sky due to ring me back later so will see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

yes, I was told last year that my discount is only for the year and unless I call them again, normal costs will be incurred.

Based on what they are doing with the new bundles etc, I doubt I will get any reductions this time around

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Yep rang them this morning and no joy. They offered downgrading my but still charging me €71 per month. I've sent my cancellation letter a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

My bills are around €35 for 120MB unlimited BB and home phone with anytime calls to landlines. I know that my discounted contract is up this month so it'll go back to full price. Whats the best (would you think) that i could expect to get if i rang them to say i'm cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

This post has been deleted.

I think the letter states 30days from notice of increase to cancel. But if your current promotional offer ends in March you would be 12months and able to exit contract anyway free of charge anyway.

Larcoon wrote: »
    My bills are around €35 for 120MB unlimited BB and home phone with anytime calls to landlines. I know that my discounted contract is up this month so it'll go back to full price. Whats the best (would you think) that i could expect to get if i rang them to say i'm cancelling.
    They're no longer offering 12 month discounts - only six month ones, so it's impossible to predict really, as you could be offered different deals from different agents, but after ringing a few times & you're still not happy & actually say you want to go ahead with cancellation I'd say the best you can hope for is half the new increased price for six months & the full increased price from month seven on. Or they might renew your discounts for six months & your sub would revert to full price in month seven. Naturally that's only a guess on my part.

They'd probably say to ring back during month six to see if they can do any more for you. The problem there is that there's no guarantee that they will & that leaves you stuck in contract for a further six months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a phone-tv-BB package that was to go up to €80 per month. Rang saying I wanted to cancel (long time on hold, twice) and got an upgrade to Horizon box with faster BB for half price for 6 months and then full price for 6. Still works out less than what I paid last year and had to sign up for a 12 month contract.

Laid it on heavy with being sick of technical issues (freezing HD box and RTE/TV3 player randomly popping up) and said I'd want to be paying half to get any value out of current package.

Ultimately it's probably just another year delay in getting saorview/freesat installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Larcoon wrote: »

I'm on the same package and my contacts ends this month, the bill describes bundle charge 47 euro minus 12 euro discounts which is 35 euro,

If I don't ring them, will I be charged for 47 euro or their current rate 40 euro?

mudxfxa wrote: »
    I'm on the same package and my contacts ends this month, the bill describes bundle charge 47 euro minus 12 euro discounts which is 35 euro,

If I don't ring them, will I be charged for 47 euro or their current rate 40 euro?
    €47 (plus any notified planned increase). You'll have to ring or order the cheaper package online & enter a new 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Redo22

Got an email notifying of an increase to €92 a month for horizon, BB, phone and normal UPC box multiroom. There's no way I want to pay this much as the horizon broadband isn't great at all. Does anyone know the price of just their normal (not horizon) BB and phone package? We are in a new build and have no aerial/satellite so can't pick up saorview. Wonder should we just give up and get someone to install one of these instead and only pay for broadband. Or If we joined Sky and they installed a satellite would we be able to pick up saorview on our other TVs on that?

Redo22 wrote: »
    Got an email notifying of an increase to €92 a month for horizon, BB, phone and normal UPC box multiroom. There's no way I want to pay this much as the horizon broadband isn't great at all. Does anyone know the price of just their normal (not horizon) BB and phone package? We are in a new build and have no aerial/satellite so can't pick up saorview. Wonder should we just give up and get someone to install one of these instead and only pay for broadband. Or If we joined Sky and they installed a satellite would we be able to pick up saorview on our other TVs on that?
    You've three choices for UPC BB & phone: €35, €40 or €45 (note that the €35 offering is 60 Mb limited. http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

If you're going to dump UPC for tv, unless you need SkySports there's little point in signing up to Sky imo. You can't pick up Saorview with a Sky dish - you need an arial, but you can use the same receiver to receive both satellite & saorview. See here for a better explanation: http://www.freetv.ie/can-i-use-my-sky-dish-to-get-saorview.html

Have a gander over on the satellite forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55 & the terrestrial: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 to get a handle on things & ask for recommendations/advice over there, but my advice would be to head down the satellite/saorview route (unless you need SkySports in which case you'd probably need to have some sort of basic tv subscription from UPC or Sky so as you can add sports even if only a few months in a year).

Otherwise once you've shelled out on the initial equipment you're subscription free for tv. If you did sign up for Sky & cancel after your initial 12 months you keep the dish & box with which you just take out your viewing card & can pick up the FTA channels, so bear that in mind also. In that case you would no longer pick up the Irish channels but you'd have Saorview for them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Have a phone-tv-BB package that was to go up to €80 per month. Rang saying I wanted to cancel (long time on hold, twice) and got an upgrade to Horizon box with faster BB for half price for 6 months and then full price for 6. Still works out less than what I paid last year and had to sign up for a 12 month contract.

Laid it on heavy with being sick of technical issues (freezing HD box and RTE/TV3 player randomly popping up) and said I'd want to be paying half to get any value out of current package.

Similar to this - I have a TV package with BT Sport and 120mb broadband that was going to go up to 75. Rang them and got through to loyalty after saying I wanted to cancel all but my broadband. Told loyalty to do this and then he came back with one last offer of Horizon Max for half price for 6 months and then the normal 85 for the other 6 months. Works out cheaper overall for the entire year by about 50 quid so quite happy.

Advertisement